Honolulu Suggestions

ChevyVanMiller

42 minutes ago, toto8 said:

Not true. Have been all around the island even on the west side where most locals live and have not been bothered ever. Everyone is super friendly. Yeah they don't like outsiders much because a lot disrespect the island but they are cool in general. Most have a hang loose 🤙 attitude.

I noticed the last time I went to Hawaii, there was a ton of hostility toward us outsiders by the locals. It was very noticeable. I was on Maui, and some local chewed us out for just hiking on a regular trail that our guidebook recommended.

There were also signs in a bunch of places in Hana, which basically told tourists to keep out to “respect” the property. These signs too were near regular beaches and trails. 

I get it if tourists are trashing stuff. But tourism is the lifeblood of that place, and that attitude towards people just doing normal things was really nuts. 

2 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I noticed the last time I went to Hawaii, there was a ton of hostility toward us outsiders by the locals. It was very noticeable. I was on Maui, and some local chewed us out for just hiking on a regular trail that our guidebook recommended.

There were also signs in a bunch of places in Hana, which basically told tourists to keep out to “respect” the property. These signs too were near regular beaches and trails. 

I get it if tourists are trashing stuff. But tourism is the lifeblood of that place, and that attitude towards people just doing normal things was really nuts. 

I was writing specifically about Oahu. I have been to Maui before but only once and didn't leave our resort only to go to Lahaina and back. We had no issues there either. I have a friend who goes often there (to all Islands) due to work and has never had any issues.

On 9/2/2024 at 1:46 PM, ChevyVanMiller said:

Later this month the wife and I will be making a once-in-a-lifetime trip to Hawaii. We will be staying at a hotel on Waikiki Beach.

Just wondering, for those of you that have been, if you have any must-dos and favorite restaurants?

Thanks in advance.

Waikiki is a tourist haven with all your typical restaurants. There will definitely be several spots bars to go watch the game. Go to turtle bay and tell them Trev from Buff sent you and they’ll take care of you. 

On 9/3/2024 at 11:03 PM, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I always have liked going to the Polynesian Cultural Center. 

- Fun, but long long day if you get there via transportation by the PCC.  There is no option to go back to Waikiki early.  

- If not renting a car, the circle island tours are a good way to see the island.  Just try and avoid the ones that have too many “food/beverage” stops.  Macadamia nuts, shaved ice, coffee, chocolate, etc…

- The view from Nu’uana Pali is awesome. 

- Diamond Head is not the “easy” hike some call it. Watch a pov youtube video before you go, and if so, go early in the morning to avoid the heat.  That being said, I made it(wife stayed by the pool😂), and on a clear day it is worth it.  

Edited by LabattBlue

15 hours ago, toto8 said:

Not true. Have been all around the island even on the west side where most locals live and have not been bothered ever. Everyone is super friendly. Yeah they don't like outsiders much because a lot disrespect the island but they are cool in general. Most have a hang loose 🤙 attitude.

Definitely true. Just because it hasn’t happened to you doesn’t mean it doesn’t happen. 

• Agree 1

I have a large amount of family that lives on three different islands(Oahu, Maui and Big island). A lot of the conversations with them are about tourists getting robbed or beaten up.

I’m drawing a blank on the towns name but it’s kind of near Waimea(could be wrong on the name there’s a big rock people jump off of into the ocean) where there’s issues almost daily. The resort we stay at had warnings about going to that area.

Saw a couple get robbed leaving a bar on the big island the first time I was there. Police were outside of the hotel taking a statement from a tourist that was jumped walking back to the resort on Waikiki. My aunt who is born and raised on Oahu says it happens all the time. They’ll have a girl lure someone some place and rob them. 

3 hours ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

I have a large amount of family that lives on three different islands(Oahu, Maui and Big island). A lot of the conversations with them are about tourists getting robbed or beaten up.

I’m drawing a blank on the towns name but it’s kind of near Waimea(could be wrong on the name there’s a big rock people jump off of into the ocean) where there’s issues almost daily. The resort we stay at had warnings about going to that area.

Saw a couple get robbed leaving a bar on the big island the first time I was there. Police were outside of the hotel taking a statement from a tourist that was jumped walking back to the resort on Waikiki. My aunt who is born and raised on Oahu says it happens all the time. They’ll have a girl lure someone some place and rob them. 

Well I have not seen that. I am pretty sure it happens like in any city but is not very common I would say. We don't go out late at night since we have young children. but we have been out at around 8 or 9 PM and yeah you can tell everything starts to look sketchy. You know they say freaks come out at night.

I was speaking specifically about Oahu. I have not been to the big island but everyone tells us we HAVE to go.

Waimea bay in the North shore. 

We went to Hawaii last year; a week in Oahu and a week in Kona on the big island. We stayed at the Outrigger hotel which was about a 20 minute walk from Waikiki beach. But there was a huge beach with shopping and hotels right near our hotel, so consider walking and exploring that area. We actually spent more time there. We had no problems with crime, and took the bus to explore away from the center of the city. We didn’t rent a car as walking and taking the bus was sufficient, plus the expensive parking fees. Take an Uber from the airport.

The Polynesian Cultural Center is a nice day trip by bus through different areas along the coast and through the mountains. Like Epcot Center for the South Pacific. The buffet there was the best I’ve ever had.

If you need a bathroom walk into one of the hotels like you belong there and nobody will question you.

On 9/9/2024 at 8:33 AM, LabattBlue said:

- Fun, but long long day if you get there via transportation by the PCC.  There is no option to go back to Waikiki early.  

- If not renting a car, the circle island tours are a good way to see the island.  Just try and avoid the ones that have too many “food/beverage” stops.  Macadamia nuts, shaved ice, coffee, chocolate, etc…

- The view from Nu’uana Pali is awesome. 

- Diamond Head is not the “easy” hike some call it. Watch a pov youtube video before you go, and if so, go early in the morning to avoid the heat.  That being said, I made it(wife stayed by the pool😂), and on a clear day it is worth it.  

I sent a Pm and said exactly the same things. I didn’t think Diamond Head was easy, but I also didn’t think it was hard. It definitely made me stop a few times to rest/catch my breath but also gave us time to stop and enjoy the sights. 

I told him about the view from Nu’uana Pali as well. The time/day we got there we were driving around the island and we got there as the sun was setting and sending amazing beams of light through the mountains. It was absolutely incredible. I have so many pictures of it but they don’t do it justice. But really, there’s so many places on the islands that are just like that. Just absolutely jaw dropping incredible sights. 

told him about an app that takes you around the entire island and gives you a personal tour. It’s absolutely awesome. We loved it. It’s called the Shaka Guide. It’s a gps app that takes you from point to point and plays Hawaiian music and gives out lots of information along the way. It’s a way of taking a tour around the island on your own, and not being pressed for time like a bus tour. That only gives you certain amount of times at certain stops. That’s how we ended up going to Nu’uana Pali. I never ever would have found that spot if not for the app. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

On 9/11/2024 at 6:55 AM, mrags said:

I sent a Pm and said exactly the same things. I didn’t think Diamond Head was easy, but I also didn’t think it was hard. It definitely made me stop a few times to rest/catch my breath but also gave us time to stop and enjoy the sights. 

I told him about the view from Nu’uana Pali as well. The time/day we got there we were driving around the island and we got there as the sun was setting and sending amazing beams of light through the mountains. It was absolutely incredible. I have so many pictures of it but they don’t do it justice. But really, there’s so many places on the islands that are just like that. Just absolutely jaw dropping incredible sights. 

told him about an app that takes you around the entire island and gives you a personal tour. It’s absolutely awesome. We loved it. It’s called the Shaka Guide. It’s a gps app that takes you from point to point and plays Hawaiian music and gives out lots of information along the way. It’s a way of taking a tour around the island on your own, and not being pressed for time like a bus tour. That only gives you certain amount of times at certain stops. That’s how we ended up going to Nu’uana Pali. I never ever would have found that spot if not for the app. 

By the way if anyone likes Island music. I created a spotify list a while ago and I try to update it often.

Here it is