Honolulu Suggestions

ChevyVanMiller

5 minutes ago, coloradobillsfan said:

I'm a little surprised to read this as Chinatown was the only place I felt unsafe in Honolulu. 

I'll third the Diamond Head hike - get there as early as you can to avoid the crowds (like get there before sunrise if possible).  We had the pillboxes all to ourselves for a few minutes before hordes of tourists came up behind us. 

And Pearl Harbor is an absolute must.  Even my senior citizen mom enjoyed the battleship and submarine tours, as well as the newly renovated Aviation Museum (The Arizona Memorial was under repairs during our visit so we only got to view it from the boat) .   

My wife, daughter and I felt comfortable during the days and the time we went to dinner in evening.  Each time we took "The Bus" from Waikiki there and back.

For Diamond Head make sure you have lots of sunscreen and water.  The one hike I did on Diamond Head on last time turned me beet red.  Fortunately I was flying Business class on TWA and I fell asleep after taking pain killers before take off in Hawaii and slept thru landing/takeoff from St Louis and landing in Washington.  

Just a tip: if they call you "haole" they don't like you and you should move on, real fast. Outside the tourist spots, the people on Oahu can be racist.

The other islands are more inviting and worth visiting if you can afford the additional airfare costs.

2 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

@mrags always wanted to go to Hawaii. Not sure he ever made it. 

@Gugny Can you confirm?

I don’t know anyone who has ever been to Ha’wa’i’i’ … as a visitor. 

I know @GoBills808 is a native, so he doesn’t need a passport to get there like those of us in a first world country. 

11 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I don’t know anyone who has ever been to Ha’wa’i’i’ … as a visitor. 

You know me.  We spent a week on Maui, and then a day on the big island visiting friends that lived there and seeing Pearl Harbor.  

Crime is rampant there.  Locals know how to spot rental vehicles to break into, they're usually Jeeps or convertibles.  

28 minutes ago, Just Jack said:

You know me.  We spent a week on Maui, and then a day on the big island visiting friends that lived there and seeing Pearl Harbor.  

Crime is rampant there.  Locals know how to spot rental vehicles to break into, they're usually Jeeps or convertibles.  

We did not ever drive a jeep or convertible so maybe that is why we never were robbed in Hawaii.

Been to Hawaii 10 times, about 15 weeks, and never was ripped off except by timeshare I was an owner of.

They have a nickname for visitors based on number of times you visit islands and I asked what they call those who have been there 10 times and he joked "rich".

We have been invited into Native Hawaiian homes and even to a Native Hawaiian beach party.  One Native Hawaiian heard that I had birds at home and brought me to his home to show us his aviary - his house was O shaped and in center of O was a room with glass walls through which you could see the birds in a tropical garden.  View was batter than any zoo.

On Beach Bus we met a Hawaiian entertainer who was putting on show for people on way to Hanauma Bay and he let me hold one of his parrots and when he turned back to me  blue-and-gold macaw had climbed into my lap and was being scratched. He said that bird does not usually like strangers very much and I said it was probably he smells fruit in my pocket and asked if I could feed his bird.  He said yes and the macaw ate an apple and a pair handing me cores back on way to bay.  Saw him a couple of times in Waikiki doing a show, saw me, and asked me by name to hold a couple of his birds while he was setting up photo shots with customers. 

I have found Hawaiians friendly and helpful not just those doing business with.  I was watching magic show and Al Harrington (Hawaii Five-O star) was sat at my table since it had empty seats and when he saw I was a NFL fan asked me if other seat was taken I replied no.  He invited a friend who used to play in NFL to come sit with us.  I used to have a picture of three of us but picture got water damage and ruined.

I have never felt uncomfortable or unsafe in Hawaii.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 9/2/2024 at 4:46 PM, ChevyVanMiller said:

Later this month the wife and I will be making a once-in-a-lifetime trip to Hawaii. We will be staying at a hotel on Waikiki Beach.

Just wondering, for those of you that have been, if you have any must-dos and favorite restaurants?

Thanks in advance.

I always have liked going to the Polynesian Cultural Center. Definitely a cool excursion. 

lots of great udon and tempura spots right around Waikiki area. Can’t really go wrong with any of them.

would avoid Duke’s. Tourist trap with meh food.

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I always have liked going to the Polynesian Cultural Center. Definitely a cool excursion. 

lots of great udon and tempura spots right around Waikiki area. Can’t really go wrong with any of them.

would avoid Duke’s. Tourist trap with meh food.

Duke's reminded me of the Anchor Bar - food did not live up to its reputation and was mostly nostalgic. 

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I’m not the biggest fan of Honolulu because we tend to avoid crowds while on holiday. 

That said, while in Honolulu, in no particular order.

1.  Get beneath the water and experience a whole new world.

2.  Check out local slack key music.

3.  Maui Wowie!

4.  There’s some really cool, hard to find, dive bars in town with some cool history behind them. 

Edited by Bad Things
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 9/3/2024 at 11:49 AM, JÂy RÛßeÒ said:

My best advice - get away from Waikiki (tourist trap) & Honolulu (basically a big city) as much as possible.

The hike up Diamond Head is cool.  Pearl Harbor is a must-do for any American.  As we've had our kids with us on previous trips, we've done the zoo and the Sea Life Park.  We did Germaine's luau based on Gabriel Iglesias' bit about it - cool to do once.  Hanauma Bay is an over-used snorkel spot - it's crowded but has good facilities.  I prefer more secluded, protected areas.

Just do some research, get in the car and drive.  Way more to the island than Waikiki & Honolulu.  

But never leave anything visible in the car.  We got broken into on Maui when we were away from the car for less than 10 minutes.

I agree. Went to Honolulu twice while in the Marines. Like a little Miami. Was not impressed. I would get off that island completely and go to another island (which I never did unfortunately).

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 9/3/2024 at 10:14 PM, Punching Bag said:

We did not ever drive a jeep or convertible so maybe that is why we never were robbed in Hawaii.

Been to Hawaii 10 times, about 15 weeks, and never was ripped off except by timeshare I was an owner of.

They have a nickname for visitors based on number of times you visit islands and I asked what they call those who have been there 10 times and he joked "rich".

We have been invited into Native Hawaiian homes and even to a Native Hawaiian beach party.  One Native Hawaiian heard that I had birds at home and brought me to his home to show us his aviary - his house was O shaped and in center of O was a room with glass walls through which you could see the birds in a tropical garden.  View was batter than any zoo.

On Beach Bus we met a Hawaiian entertainer who was putting on show for people on way to Hanauma Bay and he let me hold one of his parrots and when he turned back to me  blue-and-gold macaw had climbed into my lap and was being scratched. He said that bird does not usually like strangers very much and I said it was probably he smells fruit in my pocket and asked if I could feed his bird.  He said yes and the macaw ate an apple and a pair handing me cores back on way to bay.  Saw him a couple of times in Waikiki doing a show, saw me, and asked me by name to hold a couple of his birds while he was setting up photo shots with customers. 

I have found Hawaiians friendly and helpful not just those doing business with.  I was watching magic show and Al Harrington (Hawaii Five-O star) was sat at my table since it had empty seats and when he saw I was a NFL fan asked me if other seat was taken I replied no.  He invited a friend who used to play in NFL to come sit with us.  I used to have a picture of three of us but picture got water damage and ruined.

I have never felt uncomfortable or unsafe in Hawaii.

I echo a lot of your thoughts and some others that have commented. I never had a bad experience.  I spent about a year on Oahu from 2004 to 2006, had friends that lived there so free place to stay.  Someone mentioned Leonard's. I love sweets so loved that place so much.  Also would recommend for breakfast or lunch, loco moco, a dish not a restaurant, maybe considered dive food by some but I love it.  Also plate lunches.  Learn about the history of all of the islands, truly fascinating . Also the language,  7 consonants and five vowels in the alphabet.  A lot of long words,  if I remember correctly.  Aloha, mahalo and Ohana are most important. Spent time in Maui and Big Island too,  all wonderful!  Have a blast!

• Thank you (+1) 1

Have a great time.  It has been many years since we were there, and my only two recommendation are a Luau  and going to Pearl Harbor.

We took a tour of the Dole Pineapple factory but I doubt that even exists now. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

My dad was a staioned as a fireman on Ford Island during the Korean War  and then at Barber's Point NAS (at the southern tip of Oahu).  My parents went there in 86 for their 30th  anniversary. They stayed in Honolulu and on Maui. They took the tours of Pearl Harbor, Diamond head, Maui, Punchbowl crater, The Polynesian Cultural Center and  went to a luau.

My dad said the luau location was  just up the road from Barber's Point so the ride to it brought back lots of memories as the  road was still rural. When he was stationed there, the Arizona's superstructure was still sticking out of the water  and their barracks (which is where retired Admirals' homes are now) still had bullet holes in them. 

While on the tour gf Diamond Head he asked where the Royal Hawaiian was on the skyline (back around 1950,  it was one of 3 hotels there). The guide said See that al hotel, then see the smaller oe next to it, and then the teensy-weensy roof next to that? That's it.

Edited by Wacka
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 9/5/2024 at 12:28 AM, jayg said:

I echo a lot of your thoughts and some others that have commented. I never had a bad experience.  I spent about a year on Oahu from 2004 to 2006, had friends that lived there so free place to stay.  Someone mentioned Leonard's. I love sweets so loved that place so much.  Also would recommend for breakfast or lunch, loco moco, a dish not a restaurant, maybe considered dive food by some but I love it.  Also plate lunches.  Learn about the history of all of the islands, truly fascinating . Also the language,  7 consonants and five vowels in the alphabet.  A lot of long words,  if I remember correctly.  Aloha, mahalo and Ohana are most important. Spent time in Maui and Big Island too,  all wonderful!  Have a blast!

I learned to love loco moco in Hawaii, and i now make a mean loco moco! It’s very easy to make! 

Live in Alaska. We go almost every other year. (6hr direct flight from Anchorage)

Local food

-Try rainbow drive inn close to Waikiki.

- Kona brewery is ok they have some local plates and beer is good.

- Ted's Bakery (North shore)

- Shrimp trucks (North shore)

- Leonard's bakery for malasadas. Close to Waikiki.

- If you like poke you can find a lot of poke variety at food land farms. 

Places to go

Get a rental car and drive to North shore. As a matter of fact drive around the whole island if you can it's a beautiful drive. 

-Haunama bay for snorkeling. Have to be there early. 

- Hike Koko crater. Tough hike if done during the day. Too hot take lots of water

- lighthouse hike on the east part of the island.

- hike diamond head

- free Hula dance show Tuesday and Saturday 6:30 to 7:30 PM Kuhio beach. Next to Waikiki.

- Man made lagoons near Disney Aulani resort. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 9/3/2024 at 1:57 PM, boater said:

Just a tip: if they call you "haole" they don't like you and you should move on, real fast. Outside the tourist spots, the people on Oahu can be racist.

The other islands are more inviting and worth visiting if you can afford the additional airfare costs.

Not true. Have been all around the island even on the west side where most locals live and have not been bothered ever. Everyone is super friendly. Yeah they don't like outsiders much because a lot disrespect the island but they are cool in general. Most have a hang loose 🤙 attitude.

• Like (+1) 1