Honolulu Suggestions

ChevyVanMiller

Later this month the wife and I will be making a once-in-a-lifetime trip to Hawaii. We will be staying at a hotel on Waikiki Beach.

Just wondering, for those of you that have been, if you have any must-dos and favorite restaurants?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by ChevyVanMiller
  • Like (+1) 1

Anything you find in a tourist brochure or any online spots will be full of others. Talk to locals for what's worth doing.

Going a an hour or so outside of the main cities is worth it. Mokoliʻi, for example is off the beaten path and a fun visit via kayak or other means. 

Locals have a reputation there for being anti tourists and crime is rampant. Had car broken into 3 times over 4 days there. Popped the lock out of a rental. Pain in the ass.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, boyst said:

Anything you find in a tourist brochure or any online spots will be full of others. Talk to locals for what's worth doing.

Going a an hour or so outside of the main cities is worth it. Mokoliʻi, for example is off the beaten path and a fun visit via kayak or other means. 

Locals have a reputation there for being anti tourists and crime is rampant. Had car broken into 3 times over 4 days there. Popped the lock out of a rental. Pain in the ass.

But have a SWELL time!  :)

I wish I could help. My son has been and I’ve always wanted to go, but for some reason the wife doesn’t see it the way I do.

Edited by Augie
  • Haha (+1) 2

Assuming you meant Waikiki beach, which you should see, Pearl Harbor, Kualoa Ranch, Diamond Head crater, Leonard's bakery, Matsumoto shave ice, Polynesian Cultural Center, Toa luau, Royal Hawaiian hotel, Byodi-In temple and Dole plantation.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Been to Hawaii about 10 times I was going to go Hawaii in December last year but my family was struck w/COVID.

Several good Chinese restaurants in China Town.  If you are going to eat lunch I suggest Mei Sum Dim Sum or Tai Pan Dim Sum.
Legend Seafood Restaurant is more high scale.

Check to ensure it is being served day you are going; some will serve dim sum during day w/o carts.

Chinatown is nice to wander in.

Make sure you go to at least one Luau 

Magic of Polynesia illusionist show used to be good but I am not sure if quality is still good but worth checking out.

I recommend getting bus book and bus passes since parking is very hard to find and expensive.

We used to just rent car day before we left to go to places not that accessible by bus.

The Byodo-In Temple is beautiful and nice to walk in. Give yourself 2 hours.

https://byodo-in.com/

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, CowgirlsFan said:

Since this is a football group, take a drive around where The Pro Bowl was played.

There is )or was) a very interesting flea market in stadium parking lot where pro bowl used to be played. 

• Like (+1) 2

I will reiterate my motorcycle suggestion, or rent a convertible for the day and just get away from Honolulu for a day. Try to find a surfing competition, or check out some turtles.

My second suggestion is book a ride on one of the catamarans on Waikiki beach. Drinks were included the day I went. Gliding silently across the water while gazing down down through the depths of crystal clear cobalt blue sea is mesmerizing.

Honolulu is pretty crappy, IMO, so just get out of the city often if you can.

• Thank you (+1) 1

My best advice - get away from Waikiki (tourist trap) & Honolulu (basically a big city) as much as possible.

The hike up Diamond Head is cool.  Pearl Harbor is a must-do for any American.  As we've had our kids with us on previous trips, we've done the zoo and the Sea Life Park.  We did Germaine's luau based on Gabriel Iglesias' bit about it - cool to do once.  Hanauma Bay is an over-used snorkel spot - it's crowded but has good facilities.  I prefer more secluded, protected areas.

Just do some research, get in the car and drive.  Way more to the island than Waikiki & Honolulu.  

But never leave anything visible in the car.  We got broken into on Maui when we were away from the car for less than 10 minutes.

Edited by JÂy RÛßeÒ
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Second the hike up Diamond Head. Wasn't a very intense climb and had some cool views.

I also really enjoyed the Polynesian Cultural Center.

https://www.polynesia.com/

It is on the opposite side of the island from Honolulu but if you have a car it isn't a long drive and there is some nice rural scenery along the way. Also they do a big authentic LuAu in the evening so you can knock that off the list as well while there.

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, Punching Bag said:

Chinatown is nice to wander in.

I'm a little surprised to read this as Chinatown was the only place I felt unsafe in Honolulu. 

I'll third the Diamond Head hike - get there as early as you can to avoid the crowds (like get there before sunrise if possible).  We had the pillboxes all to ourselves for a few minutes before hordes of tourists came up behind us. 

And Pearl Harbor is an absolute must.  Even my senior citizen mom enjoyed the battleship and submarine tours, as well as the newly renovated Aviation Museum (The Arizona Memorial was under repairs during our visit so we only got to view it from the boat) .   

Edited by coloradobillsfan