Labor Day Weekend: Should be opening day for NFL

mannc

4 hours ago, boyst said:

The NIL killed most all interest in NCAA for me.

I don't follow it anymore. 

Yes. Federal law that college and high school get Friday and Saturday games between two dates. It was since the merger and I think part of the compromise to allow them to merge being a monopoly. 

You are missing out.  College football is tremendous.  Why do you even care about NIL?  

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

I think we might. The long game for the commissioner and the owners is an 18 game regular season schedule with two bye weeks. Season starts on Labor Day weekend and Super Bowl on President's Day weekend. 

3 hours ago, Process said:

But aren't they also talking about an extra bye week?

They 100% have to add an extra bye week IMO if they go 18 games. 

That means if they want a Presidents weekend Super Bowl the season has to start Labor Day weekend.

18 minutes ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

You are missing out.  College football is tremendous.  Why do you even care about NIL?  

Tremendous?

Way too many 49 - 7 games in College football. They need to totally revamp the scheduling. Power 5 schools or whatever they are called these days should only ever be playing other power 5 schools. 

20 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

I think we might. The long game for the commissioner and the owners is an 18 game regular season schedule with two bye weeks. Season starts on Labor Day weekend and Super Bowl on President's Day weekend. 

They 100% have to add an extra bye week IMO if they go 18 games. 

That means if they want a Presidents weekend Super Bowl the season has to start Labor Day weekend.

Why does adding one game 100% mean they need a second bye?

7 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

Why does adding one game 100% mean they need a second bye?

Player safety angle. 

league is trying to project the image of making the game safer. I think adding a second bye week helps project that image. It's also a small cash cow as it means one more week of primetime games for the league to sell. Makes sense from all angles. 

Just now, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Player safety angle. 

league is trying to project the image of making the game safer. I think adding a second bye week helps project that image. It's also a small cash cow as it means one more week of primetime games for the league to sell. Makes sense from all angles. 

Doing it could be something the league wants for that reason but object to “100% have to”…

the league has had two bye weeks before (1993) and it did not go well. 

1 minute ago, Matt_In_NH said:

Doing it could be something the league wants for that reason but object to “100% have to”…

the league has had two bye weeks before (1993) and it did not go well. 

Okay 90%.

I feel it is a very strong likely outcome. It has been tossed out there quite a bit as an option. I'm also not 100% convinced the league wants the Super Bowl on President's Day weekend. So if that is the case, we are looking at starting the season after Labor Day weekend and then having two bye weeks so as to have the Super Bowl after President's Day weekend. 

Why would two bye weeks not go well? I can't imagine an uprising against two bye weeks today. 

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Okay 90%.

I feel it is a very strong likely outcome. It has been tossed out there quite a bit as an option. I'm also not 100% convinced the league wants the Super Bowl on President's Day weekend. So if that is the case, we are looking at starting the season after Labor Day weekend and then having two bye weeks so as to have the Super Bowl after President's Day weekend. 

Why would two bye weeks not go well? I can't imagine an uprising against two bye weeks today. 

The networks don’t like it because it waters down the games more.  The other thing is they can kill a preseason game and add the bye week to get to presidents weekend without Labor Day. 

2 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

The networks don’t like it because it waters down the games more.  

More teams in the league than there were in 1993 and with 18 games vs. just 16 back then will we really have watered down games? Biggest reason of all to add two bye weeks is to enable Thursday Night football to continue with every team having at least a minnie by going into a Thursday Night game. That is long over due IMO.

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, boyst said:

Yes. Federal law that college and high school get Friday and Saturday games between two dates. It was since the merger and I think part of the compromise to allow them to merge being a monopoly. 

And yet, in five days there will be an NFL game on Friday night.

1 hour ago, ProcessTruster said:

people (like me) are on vacation labor day weekend . i was on the beach yesterday, not staring at NFL games

Labor Day weekend should be kept to celebrate the last weekend of Summer IMO.  NFL opening week is the official kickoff season for Fall.  If they add more games push the season out later into President's Day weekend so Monday is a national holiday after the Super Bowl.  

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Tremendous?

Way too many 49 - 7 games in College football. They need to totally revamp the scheduling. Power 5 schools or whatever they are called these days should only ever be playing other power 5 schools. 

There were plenty of top ranked schools playing each other this weekend. Georgia vs Clemson.  And even some that weren't ranked like Miami vs Florida are still huge names. Vanderbilt had an upset win. LSU vs USC opening weekend!  I'm not a Notre Dame fan but even their game was good. It was a great opening week of college football. 

If you are not a Bills fan would you have any interest in watching Bills vs Cardinals???

32 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

If you are not a Bills fan would you have any interest in watching Bills vs Cardinals???

Much more than any of the games featuring Power 5 conference schools facing non power 5 schools. 

Were there not more of those match ups this past weekend than the ones you sighted? And just a quick glance of the scoreboards, those games ended with an average score of about 60 -3. 

19 hours ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

When they go to 18 they will start the season to make sure the SB lands on Presidents Day weekend IMO

So few people get that off anymore. I know I don't unless you work for a bank or the government President's day is irrelevant. 

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

More teams in the league than there were in 1993 and with 18 games vs. just 16 back then will we really have watered down games? Biggest reason of all to add two bye weeks is to enable Thursday Night football to continue with every team having at least a minnie by going into a Thursday Night game. That is long over due IMO.

More games per season is not relevant because the quality is week to week.    There are 32 teams vs 28… so two more games.   However they have created more viewing windows with Thursdays two Monday games Sunday morning international etc that has eaten away the benefit of two more teams.  They also have gotten better at creating the schedule so that weighs in too.  I am not saying two byes should not or will not happen I am just saying it is not a 100% certainty.   

13 hours ago, boyst said:

The NIL killed most all interest in NCAA for me.

I don't follow it anymore. 

It’s not the NIL that killed the NCAA, the NCAA committed suicide. I don’t have a problem with college athletes making money from their name, image and likeness, why shouldn’t they? Remember when only “amateurs” could participate in the Olympics? Except of course if you were the Soviet Union or East Germany. The bigger problem with college football is the transfer portal.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/get-ready-for-the-nfl-to-invade-labor-day-weekend#

Looks like it’s just a matter of time.

17 hours ago, mannc said:

There is no reason not to be playing NFL games todsy.

There is one HUGE reason, and one reason only.

Networks said you want our money, you WILL NOT have games on Labor Day weekend. .... Ratings tank, ad $$$ goes way down  and effects their numbers for the whole season on what they can charge advertisers.

As it always has been and always will be ...no matter the subject

Follow the money.

Edited by plenzmd1