Labor Day Weekend: Should be opening day for NFL

mannc

There is absolutely no good reason we aren’t watching opening day games today. Until 20 years ago, this was opening day in the NFL.  Pushing the regular season (and playoffs) deeper into winter is bad for fans and players. Will we see NFL games on Labor Day Weekend again?

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 10
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I think if/when we go to an 18 game schedule we will be adding to the start of the league year, not the end. It seems to make sense to kick off on a 3 day weekend but with many people getting in their last vacation of the year they may be concerned viewership would be lower as a result

9 minutes ago, Punching Bag said:

They tried it before and had much lower ratings.   Since number of people buying broadcast services is more important now they may think of changing it to get 18 game schedules.

When they go to 18 they will start the season to make sure the SB lands on Presidents Day weekend IMO

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

As long as they scheduled the games for 1:00pm on Sunday, I don’t care when the season starts, 😁👍🍸🚬

• Awesome! (+1) 1

The NFL doesn't want to step on the NCAA's feet. They're already pissing on the laws by having Friday night games this season.

There is literally a law stopping the NFL from playing on Fridays and Saturdays during high schoolm and college seasons. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/1/2024 at 3:34 PM, boyst said:

The NFL doesn't want to step on the NCAA's feet. They're already pissing on the laws by having Friday night games this season.

There is literally a law stopping the NFL from playing on Fridays and Saturdays during high schoolm and college seasons. 

There is a grand total of one college football game today.    There is no reason not to be playing NFL games today.

Edited by mannc
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, boyst said:

There is? I thought it was a tradition, and done out of courtesy. I was wrong ha ha.

And as mentioned already, they had lower ratings when starting on Labor Day Weekend, so nope, they won't do it. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, mannc said:

There is a grand total of one college football game today.    There is no reason not to be playing NFL games todsy.

The NIL killed most all interest in NCAA for me.

I don't follow it anymore. 

15 minutes ago, Jerome007 said:

There is? I thought it was a tradition, and done out of courtesy. I was wrong ha ha.

And as mentioned already, they had lower ratings when starting on Labor Day Weekend, so nope, they won't do it. 

Yes. Federal law that college and high school get Friday and Saturday games between two dates. It was since the merger and I think part of the compromise to allow them to merge being a monopoly. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, mannc said:

There is a grand total of one college football game today.    There is no reason not to be playing NFL games todsy.

And the funny part is that when I turned on ABC to watch it, DirecTV has a blank screen saying they are in a fight with Disney over fees!  So....no ABC, ESPN etc for DirecTV subscribers. 

Edited by SoCal Deek
  • Angry 1

5 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

And the funny part is that when I turned on ABC to watch it, DirecTV has a blank screen saying they are in a fight with Disney over fees!  So....no ABC, ESPN etc for DirecTV subscribers. 

ABC is working here but ESPN has the pissing match screen

Starting on a holiday weekend/last weekend before a lot of kids go back to school sounds awful. It's perfect as is IMO. 

It will be interesting to see what they do when they go to 18 games. Like someone else mentioned Superbowl on presidents Day weekend is perfect and makes sense. But aren't they also talking about an extra bye week?

• Agree 3