2024 NFL Season Predictions

Zerovoltz

On 9/2/2024 at 10:37 PM, BillsFooteball said:

What makes you think that chiefs miss the playoffs and the raiders make the playoffs this year?  Probably boldest take I have read this offseason. 

Harbaugh can improve the chargers. It won’t be this year though. Can they get a wildcard? Maybe. SB winner? No way. What scares you on that team. It’s one of the only WR groups that I put the bills ahead of. 

Raiders beat the Chiefs in KC last year with pretty much non existent offense. Pierce has that Raiders defense coached up very well and they got stronger with guys like Wilkins on the defensive line in the off-season. Minshew is also an upgrade at QB from the negative play they had last year at the position and I think Bowers is going to be a stud in opening up the offense some. Raiders won 8 games last year due to a strong finish so I think they will be much improved with the coaching. 

I think the Chargers were seriously handicapped by their coaching last year. We have also seen how Harbaugh has turned teams around in a very short period of time. The 49ers were garbage and then he goes and gets them to an NFC title game like year 1 if I remember correctly. Herbert is better than Alex Smith was. Chargers still do have a lot of talent on that team. Their receiving core is a question mark as you correctly stated but they do have other pieces. And I really did like McConkey in college.

I think the Chiefs are due for a super bowl hangover. The Bills made it to 4 straight and then had an off year in 1994 when we went 7-9. Players and coaches interviewed said the juice ran out that year from what I remember correctly. They then turned it around some in 95 and 96.  I think the Chiefs are due despite their talent. Aso, the Chiefs barely squeaked by some games last year. Their division got alot tougher now and they still have a tough schedule. They lost pieces on defense (Sneed at corner is one) and receivers are still a question mark. I have them missing the playoffs but getting 9 wins (tie breakers hurt them). I think Bills beating the Chiefs in Orchard Park will be the difference there. 

I have a bunch of teams cluttered around 8-10 wins in the AFC so alot of tie breakers. Only the Titans I think will be truly bad. Maybe the Browns. 

Edited by ProcessImproverMan

4 minutes ago, eball said:

This is probably the statement I am most tired of reading on this board, because it is patently untrue.

Is it? I'm not sure I agree. A year where they stripped out 3 key every down starters on offense (Diggs, Davis, Morse) and 4 starters on defense (White, Poyer, Hyde and Floyd - appreciate White missed a fair amount of time in recent seasons) and have a quarter of their salary cap taken up by dead money. That feels like a re-set to me. Doesn't mean they can't still make the playoffs, I'm a little more optimistic than @ProcessImproverMan - probably because I'm not as high as others on the rest of our divisional rivals. But I do think this is still a re-set year. I don't think they have anything more than a punchers chance of winning the Superbowl. Like if Josh has a 2012 Joe Flacco style playoff run and they get a bounce or two sure. But I think short of that they are a playoff team not a Championship contender in 2024 while they re-set the table for the fully fledged version of Josh Allen Bills 2.0 launching in 2025. 

• Agree 1

46 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Is it? I'm not sure I agree. A year where they stripped out 3 key every down starters on offense (Diggs, Davis, Morse) and 4 starters on defense (White, Poyer, Hyde and Floyd - appreciate White missed a fair amount of time in recent seasons) and have a quarter of their salary cap taken up by dead money. That feels like a re-set to me. Doesn't mean they can't still make the playoffs, I'm a little more optimistic than @ProcessImproverMan - probably because I'm not as high as others on the rest of our divisional rivals. But I do think this is still a re-set year. I don't think they have anything more than a punchers chance of winning the Superbowl. Like if Josh has a 2012 Joe Flacco style playoff run and they get a bounce or two sure. But I think short of that they are a playoff team not a Championship contender in 2024 while they re-set the table for the fully fledged version of Josh Allen Bills 2.0 launching in 2025. 

Fair enough.  I just don't think you ever are "giving up" on a season, and there were legitimate reasons to move on from all of the players you mention.  I think Beane realized that group wasn't going to get it done.

8 minutes ago, eball said:

Fair enough.  I just don't think you ever are "giving up" on a season, and there were legitimate reasons to move on from all of the players you mention.  I think Beane realized that group wasn't going to get it done.

This group is not giving up on a season. No way. They didn't give up on 2017 despite the fact that the moves they made before that year were really all about getting a Quarterback in '18 and they ended up sneaking into the play-offs. 

Agree that there were reasons to move on from players. I'd have kept White personally and released Douglas but we did that to death in the spring, otherwise I would have moved on from all those guys too. But you can support the decisions and still believe this year is a re-set year. It's not a rebuild, it's not a tear down, it's not a give up season but it's a re-set to allow next year to be a re-load. 

• Agree 2

36 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

This group is not giving up on a season. No way. They didn't give up on 2017 despite the fact that the moves they made before that year were really all about getting a Quarterback in '18 and they ended up sneaking into the play-offs. 

Agree that there were reasons to move on from players. I'd have kept White personally and released Douglas but we did that to death in the spring, otherwise I would have moved on from all those guys too. But you can support the decisions and still believe this year is a re-set year. It's not a rebuild, it's not a tear down, it's not a give up season but it's a re-set to allow next year to be a re-load. 

Yeah, I guess I'd use the word "transition" rather than "reset."  Just semantics...lol.

Edited by eball
  • Like (+1) 1