49ers first round draft pick Ricky Pearsall shot in San Francisco

Chaos

4 minutes ago, klos63 said:

There was no question to respond to. 

You said that crime was going back to 70's level. 

That's a statement,  not a question. 

And my statement that violent crime is decreasing is accurate. 

Only because people are pussies these days😏

15 minutes ago, chris heff said:

I grew up on n Tonawanda, the original La Nova was on Niagara St. one Friday night, I want to say 1968, I walked out of La Nova and a guy, a man, punched me in the face. I was a boy, he was a man. Is that small town enough for you?

You seem to attract a lot of trouble. 😝

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 8/31/2024 at 5:36 PM, paulmm3 said:

Yikes San Francisco. Example number one of how bad politicians and bad policies can ruin a city. Glad it seems like Pearsall is okay

As someone who visits San Francisco often, I don't see the ruination that's often talked about in politically biased media.  

It's true that SF has a homeless problem.  And, yes, downtown hasn't entirely recovered from Covid.  Occupancy rates are still lower than pre-Covid and downtown retail & restaurant businesses suffer as a result.  

Nonetheless, San Francisco thrives economically.  San Francisco is the heart of the Bay Area with a GDP of $729 billion, about 10x more than metro Buffalo and more than many countries.  The only metro areas in the world with larger GDPs are NY, Tokyo, and LA.  The average household income in San Francisco is about $119,000, one of the highest among the world's major cities.   

And San Francisco is safer than Buffalo.  San Francisco has 696 violent crimes per 100,000 versus 736 in Buffalo.  Buffalo had 14.1 homicides per 100,000 last year.  San Francisco had 6.2.    

Then there's the diverse music scene, world class museums, tremendous parks, Michelin starred restaurants (as well as an amazing assortment of ethnic eateries), countless tourist attractions, and so on.  

Last weekend I took the Husky for a 14 mile jog starting in Golden Gate Park, one of America's premier urban parks, to Ocean Beach where we passed people surfing, to Land's End - a trail along rocky cliffs with amazing veiws of the Bay, through the pretty Sea Cliff neighborhood where Robin Williams use to live, to the Presidio where hundreds of people were strolling along the Promenade, enjoying the view of Alcatraz and the Golden Gate Bridge, and back to GG Park.  I saw thousand of happy people and not a single homeless person or drug transaction.  

The city has its problems but it's hardly the post-apocolyptic smoking ruin some make it out to be.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

As someone who visits San Francisco often, I don't see the ruination that's often talked about in politically biased media.  

It's true that SF has a homeless problem.  And, yes, downtown hasn't entirely recovered from Covid.  Occupancy rates are still lower than pre-Covid and downtown retail & restaurant businesses suffer as a result.  

Nonetheless, San Francisco thrives economically.  San Francisco is the heart of the Bay Area with a GDP of $729 billion, about 10x more than metro Buffalo and more than many countries.  The only metro areas in the world with larger GDPs are NY, Tokyo, and LA.  The average household income in San Francisco is about $119,000, one of the highest among the world's major cities.   

And San Francisco is safer than Buffalo.  San Francisco has 696 violent crimes per 100,000 versus 736 in Buffalo.  Buffalo had 14.1 homicides per 100,000 last year.  San Francisco had 6.2.    

Then there's the diverse music scene, world class museums, tremendous parks, Michelin starred restaurants (as well as an amazing assortment of ethnic eateries), countless tourist attractions, and so on.  

Last weekend I took the Husky for a 14 mile jog starting in Golden Gate Park, one of America's premier urban parks, to Ocean Beach where we passed people surfing, to Land's End - a trail along rocky cliffs with amazing veiws of the Bay, through the pretty Sea Cliff neighborhood where Robin Williams use to live, to the Presidio where hundreds of people were strolling along the Promenade, enjoying the view of Alcatraz and the Golden Gate Bridge, and back to GG Park.  I saw thousand of happy people and not a single homeless person or drug transaction.  

The city has its problems but it's hardly the post-apocolyptic smoking ruin some make it out to be.  

It sounds like that job with the SF Chamber of Commerce is working out pretty well!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 3

9 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

The west side of SF is thank God still standing. But for how long? 

But you know well what it’s like walking around the Mission in the evening, or even during the day. 

For those curious, do you know what the library tunnel is like on Ellicott St in downtown Buffalo around 5pm? That’s what a large part of SF is like now. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

I go to California a few times a year, been a few years since I've been to SF. Love it every time I visit.  Some people just hate the idea of california, very small minded people. The hatred for California is huge here in Phoenix, and it's not really based on reality.  They hate it, but love to visit. The drive there is always heavy traffic.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFan said:

SF isn’t going to charge the perp as an adult. Instead he’s going to be charge in Juvenile court.  Again no real consequences in Calif for lethal bad behavior. 

He's a juvenile,  right? 

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFan said:

Attempted felony murder should never be sent to Juvenile court.  

I could be wrong because I'm on the other side of the planet, but from here it doesn't seem like felonies matter in the slightest in America anymore.  Isn't that right?