49ers first round draft pick Ricky Pearsall shot in San Francisco

Chaos

25 minutes ago, Draconator said:

He's been released from the hospital. Thankful the bullet missed all his vital organs. 

Finally, something I’m glad I came across! 

• Like (+1) 2

20 hours ago, paulmm3 said:

Yikes San Francisco. Example number one of how bad politicians and bad policies can ruin a city. Glad it seems like Pearsall is okay

Yet see the post/ poster immediately above yours  who doesn’t understand how the stupid injection of politics into a shooting in San Francisco  can be possible!   Hmmmm ,,, I guess for some life exists in a bubble and every incident is totally unrelated to anything else .  Must be amazing to live in a utopian world , kind of like back in kindergarten during story time.  Maybe just pour some fairy dust on the bullelt wound or kiss it and it will all be black to normal!    The P word influences everything , while family vacations are supposedly an escape  from all that reality,,,but now we can see how once great cities now have apps / maps of areas to avoid !  Something changed all that over time,,,,I wonder what? 

Anyhow ,  hope he has an uncomplicated recovery and his lung function returns quickly enough for him return this year.   He is really fortunate to survive a chest wound given all that could have been damaged.   Best wishes to him and his physical and emotional recovery; ; sadly these cities are becoming places to avoid.  Culture has changed so much from when I was a kid and  we took a family vacation every summer to see different parts of the country and different cultures. Sadly, those days are almost completely gone. Safety is something you can’t take for granted any longer , and honesty, it never used to be that way.   I’m just an old guy now so what do I know ?✌️😊. At least BILLS football is only a week away! 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, DrPJax said:

Yet see the post/ poster immediately above yours  who doesn’t understand how the stupid injection of politics into a shooting in San Francisco  can be possible!   Hmmmm ,,, I guess for some life exists in a bubble and every incident is totally unrelated to anything else .  Must be amazing to live in a utopian world , kind of like back in kindergarten during story time.  Maybe just pour some fairy dust on the bullelt wound or kiss it and it will all be black to normal!    The P word influences everything , while family vacations are supposedly an escape  from all that reality,,,but now we can see how once great cities now have apps / maps of areas to avoid !  Something changed all that over time,,,,I wonder what? 

Anyhow ,  hope he has an uncomplicated recovery and his lung function returns quickly enough for him return this year.   He is really fortunate to survive a chest wound given all that could have been damaged.   Best wishes to him and his physical and emotional recovery; ; sadly these cities are becoming places to avoid.  Culture has changed so much from when I was a kid and  we took a family vacation every summer to see different parts of the country and different cultures. Sadly, those days are almost completely gone. Safety is something you can’t take for granted any longer , and honesty, it never used to be that way.   I’m just an old guy now so what do I know ?✌️😊. At least BILLS football is only a week away! 

Violent crime is down a ton within the last couple generations.  Here's one source but you can find others...

https://www.pewresearch.org/short-reads/2024/04/24/what-the-data-says-about-crime-in-the-us/

In my opinion the big negative difference in our society is the frequency at which we're taught to fear one another.

• Eyeroll 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, SageAgainstTheMachine said:

Violent crime is down a ton within the last couple generations.  Here's one source but you can find others...

https://www.pewresearch.org/short-reads/2024/04/24/what-the-data-says-about-crime-in-the-us/

In my opinion the big negative difference in our society is the frequency at which we're taught to fear one another.

To be fair, people don’t really fear you.  They fear your lentil farts and frankly, it’s more than justified.

• Haha (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, DrPJax said:

I lived in NYC in the 70s and 80s, it was a mess. But I didn’t know any better, I just thought that’s how big cities are. The politicians were corrupt, the police were corrupt. That was fifty years ago. Now New York, is one of the safest cities in the US. I’m an old guy too, I don’t believe in the good old days. 

For the last 30 plus years, I’ve lived in Delray Beach Fl. A great place, which is a little surf town at heart. Starting around 2010 we became the rehab capital of the country, it was sad and horrible. Politics didn’t cause it, the opioid crisis did, which was caused by pharmaceutical companies. We all need to pay better attention, listen to each other, be civil to one another. 

Not everything is some conspiracy, not everything is political. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

25 minutes ago, chris heff said:

I lived in NYC in the 70s and 80s, it was a mess. But I didn’t know any better, I just thought that’s how big cities are. The politicians were corrupt, the police were corrupt. That was fifty years ago. Now New York, is one of the safest cities in the US. I’m an old guy too, I don’t believe in the good old days. 

For the last 30 plus years, I’ve lived in Delray Beach Fl. A great place, which is a little surf town at heart. Starting around 2010 we became the rehab capital of the country, it was sad and horrible. Politics didn’t cause it, the opioid crisis did, which was caused by pharmaceutical companies. We all need to pay better attention, listen to each other, be civil to one another. 

Not everything is some conspiracy, not everything is political. 

When did you leave NY City.  It is decending back to 70's level safety. 

16 minutes ago, Chaos said:

In the 70s I lived on W68th, then on E51st. In the 1980s I lived on Henry St. In Brooklyn Heights (my favorite place), then on E22nd and Broadway.

By the way, I went to Bills, Jets Games at Shea. It was worse that the Old Rock Pile, where I went to a lot of games.

Edited by chris heff

2 hours ago, ToGoGo said:

The difference between Buffalo and SF is that it's all over SF. In Buffalo everyone knows where to go to find trouble. 

Really, and you know this because of personal experience or where.......I could guess but why bother.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, klos63 said:

violent crime has been decreasing over the past few years.

It would take some doing to get back to 1970s, NYC was F-ed up. I still loved it, don’t want to live there anymore, but I loved it. I left Buffalo to go to college in early 70s, went back for holidays and summer. I couldn’t have considered moving back permanently, because there was zero opportunity, it was a city on the decline, The St. Lawrence Seaway made Buffalo superfluous. I still have family there, I still go back and visit. It is heartening to see what is going on there. It took 50 years, but it seems like it’s on the comeback.

Go Bills

33 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Hah, sorry I thought you asked where I lived in NYC. I left in 1989.

8 minutes ago, Iiiiiiiiive Got a Feeeelin said:

Wow this page devolved quickly

Just taking advantage of the holiday weekend while Mom and Dad are away.  Wanna smoke some weeeeeed?

• Haha (+1) 4

32 minutes ago, klos63 said:

violent crime has been decreasing over the past few years.

Deflecting from the question means you don;'t really know what you are talking about. 

1 hour ago, SageAgainstTheMachine said:

This is pretty much wrong. Reported crime is up but also being reclassified. Violent crime is overlooked, unreported, relabeled, etc. this combined with less policing has allowed crime to go up and violence isn't always there. The smash and grab robberies, the break-ins and larcenies, the muggings and such: all time highs.

My gym is a pretty small lot, maybe 14 cars and large bay doors overlooking it, with nothing but Meatheads always there. Yet, every 3-4 months someone comes in and busts our windows to steal anything they can. No one confronts them so no violent crime. The second someone does they'll be shot or assaulted. 

I spoke to many leo in the area and they just give up on stuff like that saying it's rolling groups that just go up and down areas attacking specialized places. This group is known and a gang related group that also is involved in smash and grab high volume store thefts. They go in and get your cards, etc... nothing else. Order anything they can to the limit and pay immediate shipment to a drop house they know (usually abandoned or a patsy). The cops say it's pointless to do anything. As long as they don't hurt anyone no one cares. They blame the people leaving items locked in their cars.

My solution is simple. Claymore to the door handle or a 12 gauge. Not as clean but a lot cheaper.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

9 hours ago, julian said:

Almost all serious offenders are repeat offenders, so yes that would be a great start in fixing the problem, it doesn’t look like criminals with dozens of convictions on their rap sheet are learning from their mistakes. I find it odd that people feel the need to defend these lowlife garbage humans who prey on the hardworking members of society.

Why so defensive? I was saying the same thing as you.

Obviously locking up violent offenders, keeping them locked up and continuing the process over and over and over again will keep all the bad ones off the streets and the hardworking members of society safer.  Except of course for their very first violent crimes, gotta let those occur before we lock em up.(?)

Mind you, it doesn't address the problem of what is causing so many people to commit these violent crimes in the first place. Perhaps that's just the way it is? 

16 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Deflecting from the question means you don;'t really know what you are talking about. 

There was no question to respond to. 

You said that crime was going back to 70's level. 

That's a statement,  not a question. 

And my statement that violent crime is decreasing is accurate. 

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1