THE ROCKPILE REVIEW - I Have No Idea

Shaw66

On 9/1/2024 at 7:23 AM, balln said:

To add to the above 

schedules are the same except: 

Bills play lions , ravens , chiefs 

Jets play den , Vikings , pit 

mia play raider, packers , browns

I also think we’re gonna be below D of last few seasons . We can be run on. And I just don’t like our pass rush and current safeties - we are going to struggle to get off field on 3rd down.

so. Comes down to offense carrying team and coaches coming up big. Which I have faith in to make playoffs. But not serious contenders 

When I look at our defensive roster this year, I think, "Yikes!  Where are the stars?"   Milano is injuried.  I'm not confident Von will ever regain his past greatness.  Tre, Hyde, and Poyer are all gone.  

It won't be a dominant D.  But I believe McD will mold these comparative no-names into a capable (above-average) group of defenders.   And I'm hoping new stars will emerge.

1 hour ago, hondo in seattle said:

When I look at our defensive roster this year, I think, "Yikes!  Where are the stars?"   Milano is injuried.  I'm not confident Von will ever regain his past greatness.  Tre, Hyde, and Poyer are all gone.  

It won't be a dominant D.  But I believe McD will mold these comparative no-names into a capable (above-average) group of defenders.   And I'm hoping new stars will emerge.

New stars will emerge...May be Epenesa and Rosseau will become mega stars and make a difference in the pass rush.

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, ganesh said:

New stars will emerge...May be Epenesa and Rosseau will become mega stars and make a difference in the pass rush.

AJE a mega star? Lol. Never. Not in a million years 

market hath spoken on him. And it matches the eye test 

The offense is the big unknown. One thing that is interesting about our new OC is the use of motion. Another is how RBs are being utilized in the passing game. These things are incredibly useful because it forces safeties to come downhill to make a play. This prevents safeties and LBs from hanging out deep to stop the big play. There is definitely an advantage to this because it will leave someone open deep.

The bad thing is as a QB, you begin moving the ball with a lot of short passes, then you have to hit a deep one on the money. It's a lot harder than you think. You get into a rhythm getting rid of the ball quickly and then you have to look downfield, hold the ball longer, go through your progressions and deliver a strike.  Josh is excellent at hitting a guy 20- 30yds downfield, but when you are switching back and forth between short quick hitters and deep passes, it's tricky.

I have no idea how successful the offense will be because motion, utilizing RBs in the pass game and getting the whole offense to gel on all of these kinds of plays takes great focus by everyone. The thing is it's boom or bust on a lot of these kinds of plays however, the RBs have shown they are more than just rushers all ready. There is reason to be optimistic. Josh has worked hard to improve his short area game and that bodes well for this offense. You can not be one dimensional. Getting the whole offense on the same page with so many new faces is the biggest challenge.

We have some proven talent with experience too. Even with all of the challenges mentioned above, guys like Shakir, Kinkaid and Cook can be leaned on. The arrow is pointing up and I think this can go one of two ways. Either there will be early struggles this season or they shoot themselves out of cannon. Can't decide. Josh often starts slow, so I'm a little weary.