THE ROCKPILE REVIEW - I Have No Idea

Shaw66

Josh Allen has never had important offensive weapons. He has never had elite offensvie coaching. He has never a defense and special teams that bailed the team on day's he was less than stellar.  None of that has changed. 

In one of the NFL's weakest divisions the floor with Josh Allen is 11 wins, and an AFCE division title.  This is what everyone should expect. 

Edited by Chaos

This teams mindset needs to be "SuperBowl Caliber" and not just "Playoff Caliber".  

We have a stud QB and that means new hero's will emerge on this team.  Cook and Kincaid showed a lot last year. I expect them to become household names this year with their play (and they will be on National TV a lot in the first seven weeks of the season).   The same goes to Bernard, Oliver and Rosseau.  They emerged from the shadows of others last year.  They have to take the next step to become all-pros. 

I am excited about the ENIGMA of this team and in a tough AFC East as well as the conference overall, it is going to be a thrilling ride....because we have the best QB in the league not named Patrick Mahomes.   Go Bills !!!

Im stoked for the season but I expect a slow start on offense.  New system, new players, no pre season time.  I know people think that dont matter but I think it does.  Perfect practice makes perfect. There is no better practice than live game time. If they were all vets and in the same offensive system then it probably wouldnt matter as much. Neither is the case this year.

• Agree 1

I have no idea how many targets Keon Coleman will get. 

I know Shakir and Kincaid will ascend.

I have no idea if Cook will hold onto the ball.

I have no idea how many snaps Bishop will get.

Edited by pi2000
  • Like (+1) 2

The Bills are out to prove something in 2024. Out to prove they are more than a Diggs led offense. Out to prove they can win without Poyer & Hyde leading the defense. Out to prove they can out coach the best coaches. Out to prove they are not a turnover machine. Strap up. 

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, Rockinon said:

I agree that the McDermott/Allen combo is a winning combo. The defense was absolutely devastated by injury last year, and I credit McD for keeping them competitive. McD has a few flaws and I believe he recognizes them and continues to grow. I believe the defense is going to have a resurgent year, even without Milano.

The offense is where I have no idea. There is so much young talent added there. But Josh is leading this group and he has proven himself over and over. There could be some growing pains or they could come out of the gate like they've been shot out of a cannon. Either way, I think the talent they've acquired is better than most think.  It's going to be a thrilling ride this year for sure.

The many new faces are a big question mark, but one name keeps coming back to me. A name that should be added to the McDermott/Allen combo......Brandon Beane. Every year, we scratch our heads at his moves and every year he finds diamonds in the rough. Every year he builds a deeper roster. He doesn't listen to the noise of who everyone thinks he should bring in. For instance, nearly every WR on the roster now is known for having consistently good hands. He's not caught up in who's the fastest, or who is the getting separation. He is going after the bottom line. He wants receivers who do what their paid to do. Catch the ball.

The winning combo should be McDermott/Allen/Beane. We've caught some bad breaks with injuries in the past. When the roster is healthy though, this team has looked unstoppable. I think the arrow is still pointing up for this team personally. It's just a matter of time before they break through and make it to the big game.

The winning combo will always be the holy trinity of Allen, Beane & McDermott in that order.  Sean has his well documented flaws and he can't keep parading scapegoats out there forever. Brady & Babich will have to deliver.  Beane will have to answer to establishing a below avg. WR room. 17 will have to be prepared to play slightly more conservatively and reduce the turnovers. If this team can minimize injuries they will win the AFCE.

8 hours ago, Punching Bag said:

I am going to start season on Good foot - no trip to England to host a game on a terrible field with away team having an extra WEEK to adjust.

From a competitive aspect, they really should try and set it up so that their mandatory international games are in Ontario. 

• Like (+1) 3

7 hours ago, Chaos said:

Josh Allen has never had important offensive weapons. None of that has changed. 

In one of the NFL's weakest divisions the floor with Josh Allen is 11 wins, and an AFCE division title.  This is what everyone should expect. 

Never had important weapons??😲 Emanuel Sanders, Shady McCoy, Dalton Kincaid, Stefon Diggs, Gabe Davis and.. well I disagree completely. Daboll was good enough to earn a HC job and our Defense has been top 5 for most of Allen’s career. 
Are you sure you’re on the right website??

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

13 hours ago, HOUSE said:

I have no idea if the chemistry is there with the offense, we shall see

If Samuel’s turf toe heals, this offense will cook.  We all know about Dalton.  Shakir was best WR last 12 games, and he’s been getting better every game.  Reports are he is uncoverable.  Coleman has shown good chemistry with Josh.  And Knox has been a go to for Josh.  Don’t sleep on Hollins.  Ray is going to be the lead back by playoff time. 

Brady has a year preparation to install his offense.  Many players have interchangeable positions- shifts and motion will complicate things for opposing defenses.  We have much size and much improved catch rates 

Also, we have Josh ***** Allen as our QB.

We relish being the underdog.

2024 Bills are bullies. Cheers to that!

Go Bills!

Edited by Pete
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

i have zero expectations this year beyond competing at a high level in every game.  the schedule alone is enough to make me question any outcome of the season.  add in that the AFC is still a murderers row of teams and QBs compared to the NFC.  every single week feels like a must win in order to get that home playoffs throughout,  and thats just ridiculously improbable in this NFL.   as long as JA17 is healthy and doing his thing ill be invested,  because hes that dynamic,  that much fun to watch.  beyond that,  who knows.

• Agree 1

14 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

The Rockpile Review – by Shaw66

Well, here it is, Labor Day and the 2024 NFL season is about to begin. 

What are we to expect from the Bills?  I have no idea.

At a technical level, I literally have no idea.  The game evolves, season after season, and only some of the strategies that worked in 2023 will work in 2024.  And some coaches will come up with new strategies, both offensively and defensively.  Those are changes that I barely understand at their simplest levels.  And it’s virtually impossible to predict what all those changes will be. 

At a personnel level, I have one idea – a lot depends on players who haven’t been big-time players previously, and that means uncertainty about how guys will perform.  Safeties, linebackers, a corner or two, various defensive linemen all must show that they are playoff caliber.  Offensive linemen, receivers.  The Bills don’t have holes, but they have a lot of questions.

At the coaching level, oh boy.  Brady has to have the goods.  Babich, too.  And McDermott.  McDermott has coaches and players he likes, and I’m sure he believes he can win with them.  This is the season all three need to show they are playoff caliber.  Can they?  Sure.  Will they?  I have no idea. 

As a fan, I think the Bills are going back to the playoffs.  Why?  Well, principally because I believe in McDermott and I believe in Allen.  I said it a couple of weeks ago:  There are 20 teams, for sure, that would trade their HC and QB for McDermott and Allen.  Maybe 25, but call it 20.  That tells me that those two men alone make the Bills a top-12 team, and top-12 is playoffs. 

I know some will argue about McDermott, but I don’t buy it.  He’s won as much or more as other coaches who have been around the league for a few years.  He’s dedicated to getting the whole job done, and pretty much anything McDermott dedicates himself to, he achieves.   Fire him in February, and he’ll have multiple head coach offers the next day. 

I’m looking for a good season, a playoff season.  How will they get to the playoffs, and what will they achieve there?  I have no idea.

I'm ready. 

GO BILLS!!!

The Rockpile Review is written to share the passion we have for the Buffalo Bills. That passion was born in the Rockpile; its parents were everyday people of western New York who translated their dedication to a full day’s hard work and simple pleasures into love for a pro football team.

I am with you I can't even pretend to know how this plays out... so many Ifs... but it is exciting.. let's roll and see what we land on.

• Like (+1) 1

My take is slightly different. As Shaw laid out, this newest version of the Bills brings so many questions that I’m going into 2024 with zero expectations for the level of success we’ve seen in recent years. So after SIXTY seasons of faithfully following this franchise I’ll go into 2024 looking to be nothing more than pleasantly surprised. And that just may be the outlook that finally opens this seemingly impossibly locked door. 
Go Bills 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, SoCal Deek said:

My take is slightly different. As Shaw laid out, this newest version of the Bills brings so many questions that I’m going into 2024 with zero expectations for the level of success we’ve seen in recent years. So after SIXTY seasons of faithfully following this franchise I’ll go into 2024 looking to be nothing more than pleasantly surprised. And that just may be the outlook that finally opens this seemingly impossibly locked door. 
Go Bills 

Stealth hope is the way.

• Haha (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

At a technical level, I literally have no idea.  The game evolves, season after season, and only some of the strategies that worked in 2023 will work in 2024.  And some coaches will come up with new strategies, both offensively and defensively.  Those are changes that I barely understand at their simplest levels.  And it’s virtually impossible to predict what all those changes will be. 

At a personnel level, I have one idea – a lot depends on players who haven’t been big-time players previously, and that means uncertainty about how guys will perform.  Safeties, linebackers, a corner or two, various defensive linemen all must show that they are playoff caliber.  Offensive linemen, receivers.  The Bills don’t have holes, but they have a lot of questions.

At the coaching level, oh boy.  Brady has to have the goods.  Babich, too.  And McDermott.  McDermott has coaches and players he likes, and I’m sure he believes he can win with them.  This is the season all three need to show they are playoff caliber.  Can they?  Sure.  Will they?  I have no idea. 

As a fan, I think the Bills are going back to the playoffs.  Why?  Well, principally because I believe in McDermott and I believe in Allen.  I said it a couple of weeks ago:  There are 20 teams, for sure, that would trade their HC and QB for McDermott and Allen.  Maybe 25, but call it 20.  That tells me that those two men alone make the Bills a top-12 team, and top-12 is playoffs. 

I know some will argue about McDermott, but I don’t buy it.  He’s won as much or more as other coaches who have been around the league for a few years.  He’s dedicated to getting the whole job done, and pretty much anything McDermott dedicates himself to, he achieves.   Fire him in February, and he’ll have multiple head coach offers the next day. 

I’m looking for a good season, a playoff season.  How will they get to the playoffs, and what will they achieve there?  I have no idea.

I'm ready. 

GO BILLS!!!

The Rockpile Review is written to share the passion we have for the Buffalo Bills. That passion was born in the Rockpile; its parents were everyday people of western New York who translated their dedication to a full day’s hard work and simple pleasures into love for a pro football team.

As always, brilliant.  And I'm with you, heckbif I know.  My whole football season is like that.

Grandson is a freshman and he is with JV, and all of them suit up on Friday nights.

OU is in the SEC.

Buffalo is in a retool / transition year so... who the heck knows?

15 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

I'm ready. 

GO BILLS!!!

I'm of the opinion that I have a semi-reasonable idea what's likely this year.

But I've been wrong before. We'll see.

And I'm ready too.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Chaos said:

Josh Allen has never had important offensive weapons. He has never had elite offensvie coaching. He has never a defense and special teams that bailed the team on day's he was less than stellar.  None of that has changed. 

This is a pretty weird post, IMO.

This is unlikely to be one of the NFL's weakest divisions. More likely well stronger than average, though the Pats don't look likely to be pulling in their share of the plaudits.

And as others have said Josh has had strong weapons through most of his career here. Beasley, Diggs, Cook, Kincaid, Knox, Singletary, John Brown, Sanders, Gabe Davis, all "important offensive weapons." Probably none but Diggs and a year or two of Beasley played at elite levels. But a lot of good players there.

The D has been damn good as well, except against KC in the playoffs. There are plenty of games when Josh needed defensive help and got it. When we beat the Giants 14-9 last year for instance. When we beat the Chiefs in season last year 20 - 17. When we beat the Dolphins 21-14. Those are just last year. The D had many good games but plenty came on days when Josh also had good days, which isn't surprising since Josh has a bunch of good days. But so did the D despite a horrendous year for injuries.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, bigduke6 said:

i have zero expectations this year beyond competing at a high level in every game.  the schedule alone is enough to make me question any outcome of the season.  add in that the AFC is still a murderers row of teams and QBs compared to the NFC.  every single week feels like a must win in order to get that home playoffs throughout,  and thats just ridiculously improbable in this NFL.   as long as JA17 is healthy and doing his thing ill be invested,  because hes that dynamic,  that much fun to watch.  beyond that,  who knows.

We had one of the worst schedules last year too.  It happens when you are division champions and you have to play tough divisions in the conference and out of conference.  The Bills still won the division in spite of significant injuries to starters.   When we have JA 17, we are competing for the SuperBowl.  Go Bills !!!

• Like (+1) 4

15 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

Several questions over this team, but as always I am hoping for the best … 

I have some degree of confidence in Shakir and Kincaid , but someone else at a skill position will need to step up…I am not certain as to who that will be as yet ..

I have very high hopes for Curtis Samuel. Very very talented player

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1