THE ROCKPILE REVIEW - I Have No Idea

Shaw66

The Rockpile Review – by Shaw66

Well, here it is, Labor Day and the 2024 NFL season is about to begin. 

What are we to expect from the Bills?  I have no idea.

At a technical level, I literally have no idea.  The game evolves, season after season, and only some of the strategies that worked in 2023 will work in 2024.  And some coaches will come up with new strategies, both offensively and defensively.  Those are changes that I barely understand at their simplest levels.  And it’s virtually impossible to predict what all those changes will be. 

At a personnel level, I have one idea – a lot depends on players who haven’t been big-time players previously, and that means uncertainty about how guys will perform.  Safeties, linebackers, a corner or two, various defensive linemen all must show that they are playoff caliber.  Offensive linemen, receivers.  The Bills don’t have holes, but they have a lot of questions.

At the coaching level, oh boy.  Brady has to have the goods.  Babich, too.  And McDermott.  McDermott has coaches and players he likes, and I’m sure he believes he can win with them.  This is the season all three need to show they are playoff caliber.  Can they?  Sure.  Will they?  I have no idea. 

As a fan, I think the Bills are going back to the playoffs.  Why?  Well, principally because I believe in McDermott and I believe in Allen.  I said it a couple of weeks ago:  There are 20 teams, for sure, that would trade their HC and QB for McDermott and Allen.  Maybe 25, but call it 20.  That tells me that those two men alone make the Bills a top-12 team, and top-12 is playoffs. 

I know some will argue about McDermott, but I don’t buy it.  He’s won as much or more as other coaches who have been around the league for a few years.  He’s dedicated to getting the whole job done, and pretty much anything McDermott dedicates himself to, he achieves.   Fire him in February, and he’ll have multiple head coach offers the next day. 

I’m looking for a good season, a playoff season.  How will they get to the playoffs, and what will they achieve there?  I have no idea.

I'm ready. 

GO BILLS!!!

The Rockpile Review is written to share the passion we have for the Buffalo Bills. That passion was born in the Rockpile; its parents were everyday people of western New York who translated their dedication to a full day’s hard work and simple pleasures into love for a pro football team.

• Like (+1) 25
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 16

I have SOME idea - Josh Allen gives us that.

But yeah; gotta embrace the uncertainty right now.  I like parts of it, like the lowered expectations nationally.  We're not being talked about much, which I like just fine.

This team could shock us and be amazing, or this could end up as the "step back" year most have predicted.  I kind of love that.  We'll know more in a week & a day.

• Like (+1) 3

Several questions over this team, but as always I am hoping for the best … 

I have some degree of confidence in Shakir and Kincaid , but someone else at a skill position will need to step up…I am not certain as to who that will be as yet ..

23 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

I have know idea if the chemistry is there with the offense, we shall see

We saw Josh throw a couple passes, slide once (then get yanked for running in the first place) and Keon break up an INT. 

What more do you need to know? 🤷‍♂️

• Haha (+1) 7

Just now, Augie said:

We saw Josh throw a couple passes, slide once (then get yanked for running in the first place) and Keon break up an INT. 

What more do you need to know? 🤷‍♂️

Your right the chemistry is definitely  there 

• Haha (+1) 2

I agree that the McDermott/Allen combo is a winning combo. The defense was absolutely devastated by injury last year, and I credit McD for keeping them competitive. McD has a few flaws and I believe he recognizes them and continues to grow. I believe the defense is going to have a resurgent year, even without Milano.

The offense is where I have no idea. There is so much young talent added there. But Josh is leading this group and he has proven himself over and over. There could be some growing pains or they could come out of the gate like they've been shot out of a cannon. Either way, I think the talent they've acquired is better than most think.  It's going to be a thrilling ride this year for sure.

The many new faces are a big question mark, but one name keeps coming back to me. A name that should be added to the McDermott/Allen combo......Brandon Beane. Every year, we scratch our heads at his moves and every year he finds diamonds in the rough. Every year he builds a deeper roster. He doesn't listen to the noise of who everyone thinks he should bring in. For instance, nearly every WR on the roster now is known for having consistently good hands. He's not caught up in who's the fastest, or who is the getting separation. He is going after the bottom line. He wants receivers who do what their paid to do. Catch the ball.

The winning combo should be McDermott/Allen/Beane. We've caught some bad breaks with injuries in the past. When the roster is healthy though, this team has looked unstoppable. I think the arrow is still pointing up for this team personally. It's just a matter of time before they break through and make it to the big game.

Edited by Rockinon
  • Like (+1) 4

3 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

Your right the chemistry is definitely  there 

Being serious, Josh gets picked on for his INTs, but how many of those were totally avoidable with better WR awareness? More than none is the correct answer. 

• Like (+1) 4

7 minutes ago, Augie said:

Being serious, Josh gets picked on for his INTs, but how many of those were totally avoidable with better WR awareness? More than none is the correct answer. 

I never once complained about interceptions,  must have been Teef

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Augie said:

Someone actually made a video of all his picks last year.  This user thought 10 out of the 18 were actually "bad ones".  The others coming on Hail May attempts, chucking it up on 3rd and long, and or deflections

• Thank you (+1) 2

I'm just going to sit back as a Bills fan and enjoy the ride.  I hope and Billieve that ride gets us to a Superbowl, with a victory parade right after. 

Either way, I'm going to enjoy the highs and lows that come with watching my favorite team.  Talk some ***** when I can, and take the jabs I get back in stride. 

I'll find myself screaming in joy and agony at different points of the year.  Bills football and everything that comes with it, has an energy, similar to Christmas.  I enjoy the feeling.  

Or, maybe the drought years traumatized me so bad, that good or bad, this era of Bills football is FUN and gives me hope.  

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Nice Shaw66, I for one am feeling positive about the whole shabang, we will win the AFCE again, and doing so insures a playoff berth.

GO BILLS!!!

• Like (+1) 1

When you're as close to the top as we have been you don't expect big changes. You hope that your major opponents have some attrition. I expect us to be a better more unified organization. I don't know for certain if that means more wins. Only postseason matters. If we get there and are healthy that might be enough for a Superbowl berth 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, stuvian said:

When you're as close to the top as we have been you don't expect big changes. You hope that your major opponents have some attrition. I expect us to be a better more unified organization. I don't know for certain if that means more wins. Only postseason matters. If we get there and are healthy that might be enough for a Superbowl berth 

It was not that long ago that the bolded statement would have stunned us all. 

Except “that guy” who likes to argue. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

The Rockpile Review – by Shaw66

Well, here it is, Labor Day and the 2024 NFL season is about to begin. 

What are we to expect from the Bills?  I have no idea.

At a technical level, I literally have no idea.  The game evolves, season after season, and only some of the strategies that worked in 2023 will work in 2024.  And some coaches will come up with new strategies, both offensively and defensively.  Those are changes that I barely understand at their simplest levels.  And it’s virtually impossible to predict what all those changes will be. 

At a personnel level, I have one idea – a lot depends on players who haven’t been big-time players previously, and that means uncertainty about how guys will perform.  Safeties, linebackers, a corner or two, various defensive linemen all must show that they are playoff caliber.  Offensive linemen, receivers.  The Bills don’t have holes, but they have a lot of questions.

At the coaching level, oh boy.  Brady has to have the goods.  Babich, too.  And McDermott.  McDermott has coaches and players he likes, and I’m sure he believes he can win with them.  This is the season all three need to show they are playoff caliber.  Can they?  Sure.  Will they?  I have no idea. 

As a fan, I think the Bills are going back to the playoffs.  Why?  Well, principally because I believe in McDermott and I believe in Allen.  I said it a couple of weeks ago:  There are 20 teams, for sure, that would trade their HC and QB for McDermott and Allen.  Maybe 25, but call it 20.  That tells me that those two men alone make the Bills a top-12 team, and top-12 is playoffs. 

I know some will argue about McDermott, but I don’t buy it.  He’s won as much or more as other coaches who have been around the league for a few years.  He’s dedicated to getting the whole job done, and pretty much anything McDermott dedicates himself to, he achieves.   Fire him in February, and he’ll have multiple head coach offers the next day. 

I’m looking for a good season, a playoff season.  How will they get to the playoffs, and what will they achieve there?  I have no idea.

I'm ready. 

GO BILLS!!!

The Rockpile Review is written to share the passion we have for the Buffalo Bills. That passion was born in the Rockpile; its parents were everyday people of western New York who translated their dedication to a full day’s hard work and simple pleasures into love for a pro football team.

You touched on all the main coaches, except one. 

I think we know (good or bad, depending on people's point of view) what we get with McDermott by now. With Brady and Babich, at least there can be some level of hope that they will succeed. 

However, as much as people like to downplay the unit...Coach Smiley and his STs are a major concern for me. And before anyone starts to downplay it, while it's true STs rarely will win you a game, they sure as heck can lose you one or two a season. Such as the blocked punt we gave up against Pittsburgh a couple years back. Or the walk off PR TD given up last year against the Jets. 

I'm hoping there is a turnaround there. 

• Like (+1) 6

Pairing a legitimate running game with Josh Allen has been what I've hoped for and we haven't gotten there yet. 

The final half of last season with Brady calling the plays is the closest we've been.  He became coordinator on November 14th after that horrific loss to the Broncos and the Bills proceeded to win seven of the next nine games.  There only loses were the Philly game the week Bradly took over, and the 3 point loss to the Chiefs in the playoffs.  We began to run the ball effectively and the offense really clicked.

This preseason has seen a lot of questions about the Bills' receiving corps and the passing game.   What I'm excited about is the running game with this O-Line and Cooks and Ray Davis.  If they can run the ball as well or better than they did down the stretch last season, then I think this team will be very dangerous.

I don't want the Bills to become a "running team" while they have Josh Allen under center.  What I do want is for an effective running game to put opposing defenses in an unwinnable situation every snap where they can either stack the box and get beat by Allen's arm, or drop back into Nickle or Dime and have Cooks and Davis and our TE heavy sets run the ball down their throats.

• Like (+1) 15
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1