McDermott's history with Safeties outside of Buffalo

4 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

He had 4 interceptions, a forced fumble, 10 passes defensed and a TD.

You could make the argument another year was better for him, but which year? I would say maybe his 2nd year... but he didn't make the Pro Bowl that year. I guess I don't look at a safety getting over 100 tackles as a positive thing, though... so if tackles are the measurement, no it was not one of his better years 

So you googled his stats? You do realize that he was an in the box safety primarily, correct?

My brother in Christ, Roman Harper’s best season was not in Carolina. Please, I’m begging you. This isn’t helping your point. If you want to talk Coleman or Poyer, sure. They both thrived under McDermott. Harper was a pro bowl safety and Super Bowl Champ in the same year. Harper had a 6(ish) year run in New Orleans where he was one of the best safeties in football. He went to Carolina when he was washed. 

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

He had 4 interceptions, a forced fumble, 10 passes defensed and a TD.

You could make the argument another year was better for him, but which year? I would say maybe his 2nd year... but he didn't make the Pro Bowl that year. I guess I don't look at a safety getting over 100 tackles as a positive thing, though... so if tackles are the measurement, no it was not one of his better years 

have you ever watched Roman Harper play? 

or are you arguing which box score was your favorite?

Each time the Chiefs hoist the Lombardi, I take consolation in the Bills safety development. Drafting Cole Bishop was one of the most exiting moments of fandom I have experienced for this very reason. 

• Haha (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

So you googled his stats? You do realize that he was an in the box safety primarily, correct?

My brother in Christ, Roman Harper’s best season was not in Carolina. Please, I’m begging you. This isn’t helping your point. If you want to talk Coleman or Poyer, sure. They both thrived under McDermott. Harper was a pro bowl safety and Super Bowl Champ in the same year. Harper had a 6(ish) year run in New Orleans where he was one of the best safeties in football. He went to Carolina when he was washed. 

6 hours ago, NoSaint said:

have you ever watched Roman Harper play? 

or are you arguing which box score was your favorite?

You guys are right.

Throw Roman Harper out and use the 5 other guys. Probably better to leave him out and just keep the lesser known guys McDermott clearly had a hand in. 7 if you include Hyde & Poyer.

McDermott is simply a DB whisperer.

I am not sure I have ever seen a coach take more random players that have to get thrown into the lineup like JaMarcus Ingram, a USDA PS call up in his rookie year in week 2 against the Fins(heatstroke game) and he ends up playing almost the entire game as a starter because coming into the game 3/4 of our secondary was out and then Benford went down early that game with an injury. And he played pretty freaking well...

Literally McD could take a player off the street and get production out of him.

The Bills D was actually better in terms of points/yards allowed without Tre White than with him comparing the before/after games during his first ACL injury.

Edited by Big Turk

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

I am not sure I have ever seen a coach take more random players that have to get thrown into the lineup like JaMarcus Ingram, a USDA PS call up in his rookie year in week 2 against the Fins(heatstroke game) and he ends up playing almost the entire game as a starter because coming into the game 3/4 of our secondary was out and then Benford went down early that game with an injury. And he played pretty freaking well...

The Bills D was actually better in terms of points/yards allowed without Tre White than with him comparing the before/after games during his first ACL injury.

Or he has a system in place that doesn’t force us to pursue man coverage corners which everybody else in the league wants. 

This system seems to limit the diversity of looks we give QB’s in times like the playoffs and forces us to play shadow games with our safeties. Is it worth it? I don’t think so, but maybe. It produces great regular season results. I would just rather pursue corners that can also play man and have a defense that can throw that look in when required. #zone for life.

This isn’t to dismiss the point of the thread. All hail McD the “something whisperer”.

2 hours ago, Mikie2times said:

Or he has a system in place that doesn’t force us to pursue man coverage corners which everybody else in the league wants. 

This system seems to limit the diversity of looks we give QB’s in times like the playoffs and forces us to play shadow games with our safeties. Is it worth it? I don’t think so, but maybe. It produces great regular season results. I would just rather pursue corners that can also play man and have a defense that can throw that look in when required. #zone for life.

This isn’t to dismiss the point of the thread. All hail McD the “something whisperer”.

Not true that everyone else wants man corners. Or that the Bills are "#zone for life." Let's bring some evidence to the party.... the Bills ran the 6th highest percentage of man coverage in 2023 at 32.2%. 

Most of the league plays zone most of the time and the Bills are certainly not some outlier team stuck almost entirely in zone. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 8/31/2024 at 3:54 PM, transplantbillsfan said:

I'm seeing weird skepticism about McDermott's ability to develop Safeties in the Lewis Cine conversation. Let's deep dive into how successful McDermott has actually been coaching Safeties in the NFL and getting the most out of them...

We all know about Poyer and Hyde. Anyone not giving McDermott credit for those 2 can just stop reading because you're clearly just being silly.

Quinten Mikell (Philadelphia) and Kurt Coleman (Carolina) became Pro Bowl Safeties under McDermott at a time when the Pro Bowl meant a little something. Coleman was actually productive and successful with McDermott in Philadelphia, not as good when the parted ways, and then a 7 interception pro bowler when they were reunited in Carolina.

Mike Mitchell (Carolina) went to Carolina in 2013 from Oakland on a 1 year contract worth 1 million dollars and had his best year in the NFL by far under McDermott as DC, helping him to get a 5 year, $25 million deal with the Steelers, where he never matched that success or even came close to it.

Nate Allen was drafted in the 2nd round by the Eagles in 2010, started as a rookie, and had 3 interceptions, 8 passes defensed, 1 forced fumble and 2 sacks in his rookie year.

Haruki Nakamura went from backup nobody with the Ravens to legitimate contributing starter under McDermott with Carolina for one season... the only season of his brief career he intercepted any passes in the NFL... and he got 2.

(EDIT: Brought up Roman Harper, but got rid of him from the post after some good observations)

I understand the worry right now about our Safeties,but I feel like if there's any position we should give McDermott the benefit of the doubt on, it's that one.

All true Transplant, but I must be in the dark as I’ve never heard anything about him not developing safeties.  If anything, I think in NFL circles, he’s considered one of the best at developing secondaries.  Not just Safeties, but Nickel and boundary corners.

Honestly, while not knowing the reference it’s sounds like hot take artists like Nick Wrong.

22 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Are we really giving McDermott ALL the credit and leaving out top-ranked DC Leslie Frazier, a Super Bowl winning CB, and his crew of Bobby Babbich, John Butler, and Jim Salgado, etc who easily have over 100 years of coaching experience between them?

The Bills' defensive DVOA actually dropped to 12th under Sean in 2023 compared to 2nd in 2022 and 1st in 2023 under Leslie.