We Need a New Punter

DapperCam

1 hour ago, Doc Brown said:

I know he shanked a ball in the first game but I don't really remember him being that bad besides that.  Maybe my expectations are so low it clouds my judgement.

He outkicked his coverage at least twice that I saw. Special teams in general is pretty bad and will cost us games.

I mean it certainly cost us games last year. Bass pretty much lost us the Eagles game with his missed kicks. 12 men on the field vs the Broncos, and the Chiefs game tying miss. Probably more I’ve blocked out of my memory.

• Like (+1) 1

I seem to remember that he was hyped more for his ability to pin teams deep than his booming leg.

I didn't think he did as well at that last season, but hopefully he rounds back into that form. That can be more of a game-changer than hitting a 60-yarder or something like that.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, unbillievable said:

Do we really want to waste cap money on a player that punts twice a game?

Well, that was the case for previous editions of the Bills offense. Will the trend of infrequent punting continue with the current crop of WRs ? 

I don't love Martin, I thought in 2022 he was good, about a lower end top 10 punter that season. In 2023 he was below average but not tragic, somewhere in the 19-22 ranks. The Bills can live with a below average but not tragic punter but I hope Martin can be a bit better in 2024 than he was in 2023. That being said I actually thought he kicked the ball well in pre-season. And punting is something the "eye test" and stats can get you a good indicator of performance. So I have no idea how the ***** PFF graded Martin anything less than average based on pre-season. So yeah I am going to chuck PFF's grade out the window on this one. 

As far as special teams I am more so concerned with Bass than Martin. I think Martin's floor is what he was in 2023. The Bills can live with a below average punter. But they are more likely to lose games with missed kicks than a shanked punt. And Bass is a far bigger liability to miss kicks than Martin is to have a really awful punt. I am not too thrilled with either but I think Martin's solid pre-season performance makes me much more confident in him than Bass.

2 hours ago, DapperCam said:

He outkicked his coverage at least twice that I saw. Special teams in general is pretty bad and will cost us games.

I mean it certainly cost us games last year. Bass pretty much lost us the Eagles game with his missed kicks. 12 men on the field vs the Broncos, and the Chiefs game tying miss. Probably more I’ve blocked out of my memory.

Jets' game winning punt return on overtime.

• Agree 1

My biggest concern with Martin last year was how long it took him to get the ball off. Too often it looked close to getting blocked.

I feel like I saw an improvement in that this preseason (though in a very small sample size). But hopefully, he has improved the speed of his release.

We need a new ST Coordinator. 

How is it Bass has been here this long and they still haven't figured out how to fix that wicked slice he gets? Perhaps she has caught up to Martin, but he wasn't a bad punter when he got here. Our coverage units aren't great... there's a theme here.

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, Orlando Buffalo said:

I am much more concerned about holding for Bass. If our punter cost us 20 yards a game it is nothing compared to costing us 3 points on a FG

I often wonder if this fan base is the only one that thinks it is hard to hold for a FG

I've been watching and reading about football for nearly 40 years and I know of know other team or fan base that fretted about holding for a FG.

• Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

I often wonder if this fan base is the only one that thinks it is hard to hold for a FG

I've been watching and reading about football for nearly 40 years and I know of know other team or fan base that fretted about holding for a FG.

Punters for the Bills likely will not impact any games but poor holds can cost us games. It is why Bojo was cut.

2 hours ago, Orlando Buffalo said:

Punters for the Bills likely will not impact any games but poor holds can cost us games. It is why Bojo was cut.

Bojo held just fine as Dustin Hopkins was voted as an alternate to the ProBowl last year.

Maybe the guy teaching him was terrible. 

Maybe he was just fine holding the ball and Bass just wasn't any good. 

• Agree 2