AFCE predictions and thoughts '24

Not sure I see us as THAT much better than the jets. Maybe on par with dolphins. Schedules are the same except: 

Bills play lions , ravens , chiefs (prob 0-3 maybe 1-2)

Jets play den , Vikings , pit (prob 3-0 maybe 2-1)

mia play raider, packers , browns (prob 1-2 maybe 2-1)

I also think we’re gonna be below D of last few seasons . We can be run on. And I just don’t like our pass rush and current safeties - we are going to struggle to get off field on 3rd down.

so. Comes down to offense carrying team and coaches coming up big. Which I have faith in to make playoffs. But not serious contenders 

6 hours ago, mannc said:

Well argued.

I believe the Bills' O-line goes into the season ranked around eighth, which sounds about right to me. But, there is still an amount of uncertainty, as McGovern is taking over at center (which he did in college, but hasn't in the NFL), and, of course, Edwards at LG. The part of this scenario that bothers me is that it almost has to be assumed that Edwards will be a downgrade at LG. He was on the team last season, and was on the field frequently as the sixth lineman in jumbo packages. But, if he were a better option at LG than McGovern, he would have been the LG.

23 hours ago, TBBills Fan said:

12-5. Division champs

I think this is best case scenario. Hope you are right. 

As for myself, I am not as optimistic. There are so many young guys that need to perform well. I do like the direction of getting younger and faster while being cap friendly. However, there will be growing pains for sure. I am very critical of the coaching staff come playoff time. 

I'm not totally sold on the jets because Rodgers is a wildcard for me. He's older and coming off a serious injury. I don't think he's close to being MVP Rodgers. However, their defense looks legit. A decent serviceable Rodgers may be enough. Their losing culture is an uphill battle for sure. 

Miami looks to be a real contender for the division. Their weapons and speed are one of the best in the league. Tua was able to stay healthy and looks more than serviceable in Daniel's system. I think they have a legit chance to win the division.

This season should be very interesting. A healthy Allen puts the Bills right there for the division title. Slight favorites to win the division. I can't argue with that rational. 

I waiver between 9 to 11 wins for the Bills. I can totally see them making a playoff run or just missing out on the playoffs. A super bowl appearance looks dimmer now then last few years. That is a bit disheartening but hope is always there. 

Go Bills!!!

Edited by newcam2012
  • Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

I believe the Bills' O-line goes into the season ranked around eighth, which sounds about right to me. But, there is still an amount of uncertainty, as McGovern is taking over at center (which he did in college, but hasn't in the NFL), and, of course, Edwards at LG. The part of this scenario that bothers me is that it almost has to be assumed that Edwards will be a downgrade at LG. He was on the team last season, and was on the field frequently as the sixth lineman in jumbo packages. But, if he were a better option at LG than McGovern, he would have been the LG.

I think the oline will be pretty solid. Top 10 for sure and top 5 is realistic. Kromer is an excellent coach and some young guys look very promising. I think they will be solid in both the run and pass game. Personally, I think the oline will be one of the strengths of the team. I can see a balanced offense attack that keeps defenses guessing. 

On a side note, I am going to keep a close eye on Torrence. He started out solid and I believe tailed off the latter part of the season. 

Roster talent levels in the NFL don't actually vary all that much between the top teams and bottom teams except at QB, but the quality of the coaching can be the difference between winning the division and missing the playoffs. 

Allen is a much better QB than Rodgers at this point in their respective careers, and Tua has never been near the quality of either Allen or Rodgers.  However much some fans dislike McDermott, he's a significantly better coach than either McDaniel or Saleh, and Brady is definitely a better OC than Nathaniel Hackett, even if Brady only turns out to be an average OC long term.

If Allen stays healthy, then a better QB + better coaching = another AFCE division title for the Bills.

• Agree 1

On 9/1/2024 at 12:51 PM, dollars 2 donuts said:

Guys I love our Bills, but Jeepers the Phins have literally only 4 tough games (Bills (2), Texans, Packers) over the course of 17  games. It’s comical.

Go Bills

That’s nonsense.  They open against Jacksonville and play the Jets twice, SF, Seattle and the Rams, just off the top of my head.

1. Bills 9-8 ................. Have replaced most of the team, thankfully we're in the AFCE.

2. Dolphins 8-9  ........ Tua escaped concussions last year, will he this year ? ... Waldo's team gets lost when the weather chills.

3 Jets 8-9 .................. Will old man Rodgers blow out another Achilles getting out of bed on gameday week 1 ?

4. patriots 5-12  ......... No Brady, No Belicheat, now we can go back to forgetting about this team again

Go Bills

Jets are the closest thing to a complete team. If Rodgers finds the fountain of youth, they could run away with the division. That’s a huge if. 

Dolphins have a potentially dominant offense but a questionable defense.  If their offense stays healthy, they could win a lot of shootouts. 

Buffalo has the highest floor but the lowest ceiling. 

Patriots suck. 

Any of the first three could win the division. None really stand out to me, so I’d I had to pick, I’m going with the one that’s won the division several years in a row. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

On 8/31/2024 at 7:16 PM, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

100% agree. They were only a juggernaut on offense against the teams below .500 last year and I also think this year those bad teams catch up to the game film and play much better defense against them.

They finished 1-6 down the stretch, especially against the good teams (BUF, BAL, KC)

2 hours ago, mannc said:

That’s nonsense.  They open against Jacksonville and play the Jets twice, SF, Seattle and the Rams, just off the top of my head.

I missed San Fran, thank you.

Please pump the breaks, though (everybody), on the Jets…let them win FIRST before all the laurel leaves are thrown. Additionally teams should be more afraid of being carried away by army ants they should have playing the Jags.  

The division is interesting because I see it like this:

Best QB Bills

Most Complete Roster Jets

Best Offense Dolphins

Best Defense Jets

Best Coach Bills

Buffalo has the highest floor given track record and QB at this point, but I honestly get those betting on the Jets as long as Rodgers is healthy to take the division. Miami is complete wildcard because when they are healthy and hot their offense truly is dynamic... but they come up short routinely against top competition, their QB seems to fail in big moments, and the defense is very shaky despite few big names.

At this moment because of the Bills schedule I see it like this:

Jets 11-6

Bills 10-7 or 11-6 lose tiebreaker

Miami 9-8

Pats who cares

BUT my caveat is I really think by seasons end the team is in a different place (healthy fingers crossed) and makes a better run the the other two. 

• Haha (+1) 1

I suppose if I was objective, I might favor the Jets this year.

But I'm miles from objective.  They really haven't proven anything yet, and AR is old.  Brady really changed the expectations on QB longevity - but he's more the exception than the rule.

• Haha (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Success said:

I suppose if I was objective, I might favor the Jets this year.

But I'm miles from objective.  They really haven't proven anything yet, and AR is old.  Brady really changed the expectations on QB longevity - but he's more the exception than the rule.

They won 7 games last year without an NFL caliber QB on the roster. Tyrod is a serviceable backup. Certainly, better the Wilson. Their D is legit. I hope they fall flat on their faces and fail miserably but I think they will be around a 10–11-win team. That includes Rogers getting hurt. Tyrod can be a decent game manager. That offense will center around Hall anyway.

• Like (+1) 1

The Jets signing Tyrod is big in my opinion.  Last year the season was lost when Rodgers went down.  Tyrod can't carry a team, but he won't lose you games either.  The defense is strong enough that they'll still win games with him under center.  Personally, I see them as more of a threat than the Dolphins.

1a) Bills
1b) Jets
3) Dolphins
9) Patriots

Edited by DasNootz

On 9/3/2024 at 12:36 PM, Billl said:

Jets are the closest thing to a complete team. If Rodgers finds the fountain of youth, they could run away with the division. That’s a huge if. 

Dolphins have a potentially dominant offense but a questionable defense.  If their offense stays healthy, they could win a lot of shootouts. 

Buffalo has the highest floor but the lowest ceiling. 

Patriots suck. 

Any of the first three could win the division. None really stand out to me, so I’d I had to pick, I’m going with the one that’s won the division several years in a row. 

Yeah, I am in line with this thinking. I think the Bills, Jets, and Dolphins will be neck and neck (unless there are major injuries), but that the Bills will do better in the divisional matchups and end up winning the division. But, we'll see.