How Is Rashee Rice Not Suspended Or On The Exempt List?

H2o

The entire league has always been full of the scummiest people in the country. 

And it still is. 

I gave up on ever thinking they’d do anything morally correct years ago. 

It’s a dirty, scummy league full of thugs. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Sad 1
  • Shocked 1
  • Agree 1

Posted in other thread - he has not been convicted.

Here’s the league’s statement on the matter, via email from earlier in the hour to PFT: “We have been monitoring developments in the matter. Following the conclusion of the legal process, the NFL will review the matter under the Personal Conduct Policy.”

This confirms that an unpaid suspension isn’t happening any time soon. While paid leave remains possible, common sense suggests it would have happened by now.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/as-week-1-looms-nfl-has-yet-to-interview-or-meet-with-rashee-rice

With eight felony charges pending against Chiefs receiver Rashee Rice in the aftermath of a March 2024 street-racing incident that left multiple people injured, it initially seemed unlikely that he’d be playing when Week 1 rolls around. As Week 1 rolls closer, it’s beginning to look like he’ll actually be available to play.

Per a source with knowledge of the situation, the NFL has not yet met with or interviewed Rice.

10 hours ago, T.E. said:

Wrong. It IS strange. If you're going to have that policy, make it uniform.

Domestic violence - suspended X amount of games

Drug possession - suspended X amount of games.

The case-by-case basis he has adopted is absurd.

such a lazy response:

https://nflpaweb.blob.core.windows.net/website/Departments/Salary-Cap-Agent-Admin/2022-NFL-Personal-Conduct-Policy.pdf

10 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Yes but the problem is if they punish him before he's been proven guilty of anything then it's a situation harmful to the player and the NFLPA would immediately step in and the league would likely lose any case.  When you factor in that an NFL players career on average lasts less than 4 years, pushing the can down the road is the best outcome for the player.  Technically It's not the players job to make the league look good, but the league can't look good without the players.  Makes for a tough situation all around for the league.  They are dammed if they do and dammed if they don't!

And I get that, but I see this case different than others. Video evidence and his lawyer admitting to the fact he was driving. He's guilty. He's already admitted it, through his lawyer of course. Now it's just the facade of the legal aspects for a rich athlete that have to play out. But you're right about what the NFLPA would do. If Goodell didn't even put Watson on the exempt list, he won't put Rice either. Their personal conduct policy and explanations thereof are a sham. 

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, Logic said:

It's simple. 

The NFL tends to let the legal process play out before imposing discipline.

The ONLY exception is domestic violence charges, which is what they got Zay Jones in. In these instances, the league tends to come down more harshly (ever since the Ray Rice incident gave the league such a black eye), and even when it doesn't outright suspend players, it often places them on the commissioner's exempt list while the league "investigates" the incident.

Rashee Rice's incident did not involve domestic violence, and it is unlikely to be resolved legally during this calendar year. As such, he avoids the commissioner's exempt list, and any discipline he faces from the league will likely not come until next season.

I'm not defending any of it, I'm just giving you the answer to your question and explaining the league's process.

If your theory is right then explain Von being able to play for the Bills after his domestic violence incident?

Last I heard, his trial date isn't until December.  I have heard sever people say it's likely the discipline will come next season and not this one. 

If they wanted to, they could just suspend him indefinitely.  They could say that if you put yourself in these situations, you shouldn't get to play.  Pay can be different.  Maybe he should still get paid until the league determines discipline, but playing could be different.  They obviously won't be doing that but these are the types of situations I don't think anyone besides Chiefs fans and their organization would care.

17 hours ago, H2o said:

This is pretty baffling, outside of the fact he plays on the new NFL darlings. Zay Jones is suspended 5 games for "conduct detrimental to the league" and he was never prosecuted (not claiming he is a better human being). Rice is facing 8 charges from his CONFIRMED involvement in racing down a highway involving a hit and run. There's video evidence. His lawyer admitted Rice was driving. How is this not deemed "conduct detrimental to the league"? Even after that, being the upstanding human being he  is, he is asking for the civil suits pending from the people who got hit in the hit and run portion of his escapade to be tossed. I guess staging a video shoot handing out some pizza and water bottles served as his atonement. <_<

I do not get it myself.  It’s pretty ridiculous he has not faced some sort of suspension 

On 8/31/2024 at 5:04 AM, ChevyVanMiller said:

If your theory is right then explain Von being able to play for the Bills after his domestic violence incident?

The league SOMETIMES, but not ALWAYS, places players accused of domestic violence on the commissioner's exempt list. Their decision not to do so in Von's case does not mean that this is not true.

So the fan base of the team who cut Araiza is complaining that the league isn’t rushing to judgment?  This isn’t some heinous crime.  We don’t even know what he’s being accused of.  There is nothing to be gained from not waiting until the legal system sorts everything out.

• Dislike 2

7 minutes ago, Billl said:

So the fan base of the team who cut Araiza is complaining that the league isn’t rushing to judgment?  This isn’t some heinous crime.  We don’t even know what he’s being accused of.  There is nothing to be gained from not waiting until the legal system sorts everything out.

The young man got very lucky. I hope he learned a valuable lesson. That situation could’ve been so much worse. 

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Billl said:

19 minutes ago, 90sBills said:

The young man got very lucky. I hope he learned a valuable lesson. That situation could’ve been so much worse. 

He's lucky no one died.  But he's looking at aggravated assault, collision involving serious bodily injury and collision causing injury, all felonies because he left the scene.  They also found marijuana in his car, the amount of which is a misdemeanor.  And several weeks later he assaulted someone.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

On 8/30/2024 at 8:10 PM, Logic said:

It's simple. 

The NFL tends to let the legal process play out before imposing discipline.

The ONLY exception is domestic violence charges, which is what they got Zay Jones in. In these instances, the league tends to come down more harshly (ever since the Ray Rice incident gave the league such a black eye), and even when it doesn't outright suspend players, it often places them on the commissioner's exempt list while the league "investigates" the incident.

Rashee Rice's incident did not involve domestic violence, and it is unlikely to be resolved legally during this calendar year. As such, he avoids the commissioner's exempt list, and any discipline he faces from the league will likely not come until next season.

I'm not defending any of it, I'm just giving you the answer to your question and explaining the league's process.

Your name to the rescue

3 hours ago, Billl said:

This isn’t some heinous crime.  

We don't even know what he is being accused of?

"Rice has since been charged with one count of aggravated assault, one count of collision involving serious bodily injury, and six counts of collision involving injury."

We are extremely lucky nobody was killed or badly hurt. He's a miracle from being Henry Ruggs. 

The league office needs to be better than this. Or just get rid of any non football related suspensions all together. 

19 minutes ago, benderbender said:

The NFL isn't even a sports league. It's an entertainment company. That would be like Cinemax suspending players.

All sports leagues are entertainment companies.  That’s precisely WHY they suspend players.  If I went out this morning and did exactly what Rice did, my employer wouldn’t suspend me.  

• Disagree 1

On 9/1/2024 at 6:49 PM, Logic said:

The league SOMETIMES, but not ALWAYS, places players accused of domestic violence on the commissioner's exempt list. Their decision not to do so in Von's case does not mean that this is not true.

In Von's case his wife denied incident occurred.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, benderbender said:

The NFL isn't even a sports league. It's an entertainment company. That would be like Cinemax suspending players.

Studios suspend actors/actresses and other personnel.  

i.e. Cas Anvar in the Expanse, Jonathan Majors in Marvel movies and Actress Heard in Aquaman.

Edited by Punching Bag