How Is Rashee Rice Not Suspended Or On The Exempt List?

H2o

This is pretty baffling, outside of the fact he plays on the new NFL darlings. Zay Jones is suspended 5 games for "conduct detrimental to the league" and he was never prosecuted (not claiming he is a better human being). Rice is facing 8 charges from his CONFIRMED involvement in racing down a highway involving a hit and run. There's video evidence. His lawyer admitted Rice was driving. How is this not deemed "conduct detrimental to the league"? Even after that, being the upstanding human being he  is, he is asking for the civil suits pending from the people who got hit in the hit and run portion of his escapade to be tossed. I guess staging a video shoot handing out some pizza and water bottles served as his atonement. <_<

• Like (+1) 4
  • Angry 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

It's simple. 

The NFL tends to let the legal process play out before imposing discipline.

The ONLY exception is domestic violence charges, which is what they got Zay Jones in. In these instances, the league tends to come down more harshly (ever since the Ray Rice incident gave the league such a black eye), and even when it doesn't outright suspend players, it often places them on the commissioner's exempt list while the league "investigates" the incident.

Rashee Rice's incident did not involve domestic violence, and it is unlikely to be resolved legally during this calendar year. As such, he avoids the commissioner's exempt list, and any discipline he faces from the league will likely not come until next season.

I'm not defending any of it, I'm just giving you the answer to your question and explaining the league's process.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 9
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, Logic said:

It's simple. 

The ONLY exception is domestic violence charges, which is what they got Zay Jones in. In these instances, the league tends to come down more harshly (ever since the Ray Rice incident gave the league such a black eye), and even when it doesn't outright suspend players, it often places them on the commissioner's exempt list while the league "investigates" the incident.

Rashee Rice's incident did not involve domestic violence, and it is unlikely to be resolved legally during this calendar year. As such, he avoids the commissioner's exempt list, and any discipline he faces from the league will likely not come until next season.

I'm not defending any of it, I'm just giving you the answer to your question and explaining the league's process.

This is exactly what’s happening. Domestic violence takes priority over other issues. That’s why I was surprised Von didn’t get anything from his incident. 

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Logic said:

It's simple. 

Letting legal procedures or investigating themselves makes a certain amount of sense, after all you shouldn't just convict someone off bad public opinion. This case just doesn't fall into that category, I mean the guy has at points apologized for doing it. However the legal process plays out there's clearly a suspension level offense the League should know they need to deal with.

• Disagree 1

Goodell's personal conduct policy has always been ridiculous and totally arbitrary. Does he still do the weird thing where when the player meets with him about an indiscretion, the length of the suspension is based on how contrite he seems during their "talk"?

22 minutes ago, H2o said:

This is pretty baffling, outside of the fact he plays on the new NFL darlings. Zay Jones is suspended 5 games for "conduct detrimental to the league" and he was never prosecuted (not claiming he is a better human being). Rice is facing 8 charges from his CONFIRMED involvement in racing down a highway involving a hit and run. There's video evidence. His lawyer admitted Rice was driving. How is this not deemed "conduct detrimental to the league"? Even after that, being the upstanding human being he  is, he is asking for the civil suits pending from the people who got hit in the hit and run portion of his escapade to be tossed. I guess staging a video shoot handing out some pizza and water bottles served as his atonement. <_<

NFL typically waits for the criminal case to be adjudicated.  In Jones case, that resulted in no charges.  Rice's case hasn't ended in any way.  

anyway, this same  topic was just beaten to death in another thread: 

1 minute ago, Logic said:

It's simple. 

I understand what you're saying. I've seen the hypocrisy in how the NFL, Goodell, handles things. This is different than most though. He hasn't come out pleading his innocence, probably because there is so much evidence against him. His lawyer even admitted Rice was driving. This is after Britt Reid (yes, I know he was not a player, but it's Chiefs related). This is after the Jalen Carter incident where two people lost their lives. He is literally on video leaving the scene of the accident. Every aspect of this entire situation is detrimental to the league. 

1 minute ago, T.E. said:

Goodell's personal conduct policy has always been ridiculous and totally arbitrary. Does he still do the weird thing where when the player meets with him about an indiscretion, the length of the suspension is based on how contrite he seems during their "talk"?

it's not weird--it's the system that the Players and their union and the owners have, collectively,  agreed to.

tell them you think it's weird...maybe they will change everything.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, 90sBills said:

This is exactly what’s happening. Domestic violence takes priority over other issues. That’s why I was surprised Von didn’t get anything from his incident. 

NFL probably figured he wasn’t making an impact anyway so people probably thought he wasn’t ever out there 

• Haha (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Letting legal procedures or investigating themselves makes a certain amount of sense, after all you shouldn't just convict someone off bad public opinion. This case just doesn't fall into that category, I mean the guy has at points apologized for doing it. However the legal process plays out there's clearly a suspension level offense the League should know they need to deal with.

18 minutes ago, H2o said:

I understand what you're saying. I've seen the hypocrisy in how the NFL, Goodell, handles things. This is different than most though. He hasn't come out pleading his innocence, probably because there is so much evidence against him. His lawyer even admitted Rice was driving. This is after Britt Reid (yes, I know he was not a player, but it's Chiefs related). This is after the Jalen Carter incident where two people lost their lives. He is literally on video leaving the scene of the accident. Every aspect of this entire situation is detrimental to the league. 

I understand and, to some extent, agree with what you're both saying.

The issue here is "precedent". The NFL tends to have a "way of doing things" when it comes to legal run-ins. If they just say "to hell with letting the legal process play out, we're just gonna suspend him now", then they risk Rice and his lawyers crying foul, appealing the league's decision, and creating a mess on top of a mess.

Again, I'm not defending the league's actions here. It's pretty clear Rice is guilty, and it's pretty clear he should face some discipline. I believe he will. But if the league rushes into it, they risk creating a headache that may undermine their eventual and overall efforts to mete out justice.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

27 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

it's not weird--it's the system that the Players and their union and the owners have, collectively,  agreed to.

tell them you think it's weird...maybe they will change everything.

Wrong. It IS strange. If you're going to have that policy, make it uniform.

Domestic violence - suspended X amount of games

Drug possession - suspended X amount of games.

The case-by-case basis he has adopted is absurd.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Why does the legal system takes so long

?

and gee lets file an appeal so we can stay out of jail for awhile. And or , remain  innocent in the court of law ,and only alleged of the crime / crimes

and you never know or can justify beforehand , that the subject might be a threat or repeat such crimes !

Its almost encourages bad behaviour for those with some leverage (money fame etc )

Legal system is kinda failing us

and the NFL uses it as a crutch to appear neutral 

?

Edited by 3rdand12

Just now, 3rdand12 said:

Why does the legal system takes so long

?

and gee lets file an appeal so we can stay out of jail for awhile.

and you never know or can justify beforehand , that the subject might be a threat or repeat.

Its almost encourages bad behaviour for those with some leverage (money fame etc )

Legal system is kinda failing us

and the NFL uses it as a crutch to appear neutral 

?

Do you really believe he’s going to jail this? There’s no way any jail time rendered. 

1 minute ago, 90sBills said:

Do you really believe he’s going to jail this? There’s no way any jail time rendered. 

Nope

I dont project anything here 90s

Just speaking to the process. Both legal and the NFL

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, 3rdand12 said:

Nope

I dont project anything here 90s

Just speaking to the process. Both legal and the NFL

Yeah I hear ya. If we’re talking generality then I’m in agreement that some folks do take advantage of our legal system.

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, H2o said:

Yes but the problem is if they punish him before he's been proven guilty of anything then it's a situation harmful to the player and the NFLPA would immediately step in and the league would likely lose any case.  When you factor in that an NFL players career on average lasts less than 4 years, pushing the can down the road is the best outcome for the player.  Technically It's not the players job to make the league look good, but the league can't look good without the players.  Makes for a tough situation all around for the league.  They are dammed if they do and dammed if they don't!