Dolphins extend McDaniels 4 years

Virgil

On 8/30/2024 at 10:45 AM, Slippery Rubber Mats said:

I give him a lot of credit for the quality of that offense. IMO they have no choice but to extend the guy

I would’ve done it mid season if things were going well probably.  The issue for me is the side of the ball that McDaniel is supposedly an expert at struggles against above average teams at an alarmingly high rate.  If their only issues were defense in those games I would’ve bought fangio being the  majority of the problem.  I think their offensive has a very high floor but not too high of a ceiling

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

On 8/31/2024 at 10:55 AM, Alphadawg7 said:

The last 2 seasons they are 3-9 over the final 6 games of the season to squeak into the playoffs as the final seed. And one of those 3 wins was the only game that Tua missed.  In the games Tua played they are 2-9 over the final 6 games each of the past 2 seasons.

I just don’t see quality, I see a pretender who beats up weak opponents early and the league figures how them out and they go down the toilet back part of the season when teams should be playing their best ball.  

And if you add in their 2 playoff games, they are 3-11 to close out the last 2 seasons.  

And now, their roster is worse than it was the past 2 seasons too after losing so much this offseason because of their bloated offensive cap use.

And with their trenches a mess, I think they are in danger of missing the playoffs all together this year, and if they do the seats gonna get pretty hot for McDaniels and the Front Office after all the money they spent.

Sadly it will be much the same this season.  Miami has mostly weak teams on their schedule, while the Bills face a gauntlet.

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Sadly it will be much the same this season.  Miami has mostly weak teams on their schedule, while the Bills face a gauntlet.

iron sharpens iron ?

Steel sharpens steel ?

one of those might be true

Bills should  earn wins this year if they want to get over the brick wall when it's playoff time and playing the best of the best :)

• Like (+1) 2

On 8/30/2024 at 11:20 AM, Logic said:

Great in September and October, folds in November and beyond.

Great in the 1st and 2nd quarter, folds in the 3rd quarter and beyond.

Until further notice, this is who BOTH Tua AND McDaniel are to me.

When its early in the season and its a sunny day and things are going well, they're lions. When it's crunch time and its a cold December night and adversity hits, they turn into lambs.

I think McDaniel can be an EXCELLENT offensive coordinator in this league for many years, but I don't think he has what it takes to be a head coach. I think he's not a natural speaker, not a natural leader, and that his cutesy schtick only works when things are going well. If the Dolphins ever hit a rough patch, or continue to be unable to break through to greater postseason success, I expect his act to wear thin on players. I do not fear Mike McDaniel, and I do not fear Tua Tagovailoa.

"...other than that, Miss Lincoln, how was the play?"

That's where I am. I have gained grudging respect for his ability to innovate. A lot of those motion plays he's developed are really clever. Having Achane and Mostert both in the backfield and letting Tua do a pop handoff that was effectively a read option was clever.

But when it has come to game management and team management in the crunch the Dolphins keep coming up small. He keeps forgetting to run the ball in the second half. His scheme relies on a HOF WR and what would be a WR1 receiver on many teams using top end speed and never getting hurt

Between letting the o line get downgraded, kicking Fangio to the curb because he was too disciplined and throwing all of the money at three players if they don't take it all this year the Phins are in trouble 

• Like (+1) 3

On 8/30/2024 at 11:34 AM, T.E. said:

He's a good coach, and a better innovator on offense than anything we've had since Daboll.

They've constructed a team, though, that is going to need to get home-field to get to the Super Bowl. All the other powerhouses in the AFC play outdoors in the cold, and I don't know if I've seen a team pack it up in bad weather quite like they did in KC last year.

I don't think the Fishies' problem is cold weather.  I think it's better teams.  They've won only 2 or 3 games against teams with winning records in the last two years, including the playoffs.   Last year, they played a lot of teams with crappy defenses early in the season and better teams in the last half of the season -- and the playoffs in the AFC recently have almost always been played in open stadiums in cold weather cities.

On 8/30/2024 at 7:32 PM, Scott7975 said:

He may be weird but I actually think he is a good coach.  He is obviously smart on the offensive side of the ball.  Tua was a dumpsterfire bust before he came there. Now they have a dangerous offense with him still at QB. Yes it takes speed to make that offense work but it works. I think they will be fine without the motion thing. It gave them an edge but it doesnt change what their offense can do.

I dont think they will do much better than what they already have done, but I still think he is a good coach.

I agree.  I don't think the old-time disciplarian type coaches (like Belichick or Coughlin) can be really effective in today's NFL ... and maybe they haven't been effective for a while.   I can't think of any real old-fashioned hard-arsed HCs among the successful HCs currently coaching.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SoTier said:

I don't think the Fishies' problem is cold weather.  I think it's better teams.  They've won only 2 or 3 games against teams with winning records in the last two years, including the playoffs.   Last year, they played a lot of teams with crappy defenses early in the season and better teams in the last half of the season -- and the playoffs in the AFC recently have almost always been played in open stadiums in cold weather cities.

I agree.  I don't think the old-time disciplarian type coaches (like Belichick or Coughlin) can be really effective in today's NFL ... and maybe they haven't been effective for a while.   I can't think of any real old-fashioned hard-arsed HCs among the successful HCs currently coaching.

The dolphins always seem to get overhyped because they inexplicably have like a 6 week run of terrible opponents midseason lol it has to be two or three years in a row now that that’s happened.

Theyve been borderline inept against the better teams in the league for a pretty big sample size now.  I think the better DCs in the league have that dolphins offense pretty well figured out 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, 3rdand12 said:

iron sharpens iron ?

Steel sharpens steel ?

one of those might be true

Bills should  earn wins this year if they want to get over the brick wall when it's playoff time and playing the best of the best :)

Dont get me wrong. Im not scared of the schedule.  Just making an observation and a comment.

• Like (+1) 1

He has a lot of talent on his team, and I give him credit for designing an offense around a quarterback without a strong arm..quick hitters with lots of misdirection and run after catch...BUT...I have no respect for the guy after the Bills game when Tuas head bounced off the turf and he got up staggering. Everybody on the planet knew it was a concussion, but McDaniels got in front of a podium and insisted it was a neck injury...didnt seem to care much about the health of his player. And Tua had a much more serious concussion right after that which kept him out for a while.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/30/2024 at 10:44 AM, DrDawkinstein said:

Locking up (overpaying) Tua, letting their defense walk to afford it, and now this.

Good things for the Bills owning the AFC East.

I already said the second they signed Tua to that ridiculous contract it was over for them as a threat to the Bills in the division.

• Like (+1) 2

On 8/30/2024 at 12:03 PM, Alphadawg7 said:

Is it quality though?  I mean they stockpile stats against sub .500 teams and then choke and crap the bed against teams above .500 as they have only 2 wins in 2 years against teams .500 or above.  They may not even make the playoffs this year.

On 8/31/2024 at 7:55 AM, Alphadawg7 said:

The last 2 seasons they are 3-9 over the final 6 games of the season to squeak into the playoffs as the final seed. And one of those 3 wins was the only game that Tua missed.  In the games Tua played they are 2-9 over the final 6 games each of the past 2 seasons.

I just don’t see quality, I see a pretender who beats up weak opponents early and the league figures how them out and they go down the toilet back part of the season when teams should be playing their best ball.  

And if you add in their 2 playoff games, they are 3-11 to close out the last 2 seasons.  

And now, their roster is worse than it was the past 2 seasons too after losing so much this offseason because of their bloated offensive cap use.

And with their trenches a mess, I think they are in danger of missing the playoffs all together this year, and if they do the seats gonna get pretty hot for McDaniels and the Front Office after all the money they spent.

As I was saying :) ☝️

• Like (+1) 1

Going to get crap for it but - mcdaniels is the only one really deserving of their contract Miami just dolled out

tyreek - again - gave up becuase we punched him in the mouth

(I called it in the prediction thread )

Tua never should have been the guy - ever - their gm and owner are ridiculous - he just ain’t it but whatever - as a bills fan thank you. !!!!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

They extended everybody.  Ramsey waddle hill Tua and McDaniel and they can’t beat their boogie man.   This will not end well for them. They will have to slash and total rebuild with new coach GM etc.   then they will be cupcakes.  

Edited by Matt_In_NH
  • Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

That sequence at the end of the half was amateur hour.  It's like the team gave up after that fiasco.  

I was surprised by that drive as well but the vibes seemed to be they were very worried about another turnover as the Bills forced them to dink and dunk. If Tua tried to force anything, it would have resulted in an INT.