Dolphins extend McDaniels 4 years

Virgil

5 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Yeah Josh was pretty responsible for them losing to the Titans by blowing. 14 point lead under 2 mins to go and then getting B word slapped in Baltimore with a chance to get the number one seed on the line. Losing to the Bills was just a formality at that point 

He’s had his team on the verge of winning the division with Tua as his QB.  If both teams had Josh as QB, Miami wins the division last year.

11 hours ago, Bruffalo said:

Not a high bar, but I still don't really see it. The offense is just "go motion, run fast, immediately pass ball". Without the fastest of the fast (Hill/Waddle/Achane/Mostert), the whole thing sort of falls apart. 

But, they do have those guys and that is what happens. they'll win a lot. And ultimately chole out worse than us.

11 hours ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

He scares me a lot more than Saleh and the players generally seem to love playing for him.  Only reason he hasn’t won the division yet is because we have Josh.  Good move by the Dolphins.

They collapsed down the stretch last year. Fell flat on their faces.

18 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Is it quality though?  I mean they stockpile stats against sub .500 teams and then choke and crap the bed against teams above .500 as they have only 2 wins in 2 years against teams .500 or above.  They may not even make the playoffs this year.

Yep, it is. They've failed in others ways, but have made the playoffs twice in two years, have a top offense, and generally have turned their franchise around. Big steps from Flores and Gase IMO

21 hours ago, Logic said:

To answer your question: I can't speak for others, but I'm not giving McDermott a pass. I called for him to be fired last year. The way the team rallied around him, and some specific ways in which I saw him improve as a coach over the course of the season, caused me to call off the dogs for now. But if the same old "getting whooped in the divisional round" song and dance continues, you can bet your bottom dollar I'll be calling for a change again.

*Edit:

As for Mike McDaniel: I'm sticking with what I said.

I think he's an excellent play designer and play caller, but I DON'T think he's a quality head coach. I don't think he's a natural speaker or a natural leader. He gives convoluted word salad answers. I don't find him to be authentic. I find him to be awkward and much of his schtick to be contrived. I'm just not a believer.

I fully understand why the Dolphins extended him. They should. What else could they do? I just don't trust him to be anything more than the Rex Ryan of offense. Entertaining, full of bluster, and coordinates a cutting edge scheme. Once the league catches up to the cutting edge scheme and the innovations stop, all that's left is the schtick and the bluster. 

I get the sense that he is trying to be a leader but it is simply not in his DNA he says the right things but they seem so inauthentic to me the message is kinda like whistling by the graveyard. Just my own feeling on it.

14 hours ago, WotAGuy said:

What are the rule changes that affect the motion in Miami’s offense?  I missed that somewhere along the line. 

It's not a huge thing IMO.  Here is an article about it.

https://www.reuters.com/sports/nfl-adjusts-rule-address-cheat-motion-2024-08-01/

August 1 - The NFL has adjusted the rulebook for 2024 to hinder so-called "speed motion" -- "cheat motion" to its detractors, NBC Sports' Pro Football Talk reported Thursday.

The pre-snap technique showed up in the NFL last season, with offensive players who are in motion gathering their momentum by leaning toward the line of scrimmage just before the snap.

• Thank you (+1) 2

22 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Bengals do when Burrow isn't hurt

Chargers did more of a reset at the skill positions than I thought they would. They have $70M in cap space next year.  Harbaugh is going to build a bully and with Herbert will be in the AFC Championship game next year. 

Well of course, it's Harbaugh, why even play the games!

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Slippery Rubber Mats said:

Yep, it is. They've failed in others ways, but have made the playoffs twice in two years, have a top offense, and generally have turned their franchise around. Big steps from Flores and Gase IMO

The last 2 seasons they are 3-9 over the final 6 games of the season to squeak into the playoffs as the final seed. And one of those 3 wins was the only game that Tua missed.  In the games Tua played they are 2-9 over the final 6 games each of the past 2 seasons.

I just don’t see quality, I see a pretender who beats up weak opponents early and the league figures how them out and they go down the toilet back part of the season when teams should be playing their best ball.  

And if you add in their 2 playoff games, they are 3-11 to close out the last 2 seasons.  

And now, their roster is worse than it was the past 2 seasons too after losing so much this offseason because of their bloated offensive cap use.

And with their trenches a mess, I think they are in danger of missing the playoffs all together this year, and if they do the seats gonna get pretty hot for McDaniels and the Front Office after all the money they spent.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

The last 2 seasons they are 3-9 over the final 6 games of the season to squeak into the playoffs as the final seed. And one of those 3 wins was the only game that Tua missed.  In the games Tua played they are 2-9 over the final 6 games each of the past 2 seasons.

I just don’t see quality, I see a pretender who beats up weak opponents early and the league figures how them out and they go down the toilet back part of the season when teams should be playing their best ball.  

And if you add in their 2 playoff games, they are 3-11 to close out the last 2 seasons.  

And now, their roster is worse than it was the past 2 seasons too after losing so much this offseason because of their bloated offensive cap use.

And with their trenches a mess, I think they are in danger of missing the playoffs all together this year, and if they do the seats gonna get pretty hot for McDaniels and the Front Office after all the money they spent.

idk The guy has stuff to fix. But he's exceptional at offense in this league. Good proven offensive coaches are hard to find man

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/30/2024 at 11:38 AM, Bruffalo said:

Not a high bar, but I still don't really see it. The offense is just "go motion, run fast, immediately pass ball". Without the fastest of the fast (Hill/Waddle/Achane/Mostert), the whole thing sort of falls apart. 

Well, they have those guys, sooo

On 8/30/2024 at 8:47 PM, H2o said:

You can't blame them really. It's their first time having consecutive Playoff appearances since Wannstedt. It doesn't mean he will make it as their HC for that long, but he has been better than what they had seen previously for the past 20 years. 

It is unfair to look at the AFC East times record for the last 20 years....Tom Brady simply dominated them that their chance to even get to the playoffs was NOT Unusual.

17 hours ago, Slippery Rubber Mats said:

He has won one more game than Flores his final two years in Miami 

• Like (+1) 1