Dolphins extend McDaniels 4 years

Virgil

All you have to do is watch the last episode of Hard Knocks to see this guy is not the whole package - looked totally out of his element and unbelievably awkward trying to be a leader and 'rally' his troops.  Could feel the eyerolls and cringes in the locker room through the screen.  Media can continue their lovefest with his 'quirky' nerdiness and ridiculous word salads - it's all fun when things are going good, but when things get rough his whole schticky act exposes him as not a great leader of men.  To me this guy is so overrated as a HC

Edited by stevewin
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

I have similar sentiments to the Tua extension.  Not enough years and not enough dollars!

Agreed but they were in a no win situation on Tua, they "had to" and now live with the risk every time he gets the ball.  Reminds me of  another small Alabama quarterback, Bryce Young.  Throw in the dirty player Mack Jones, both Jones and Yound are  borderline busts.

4 hours ago, Doc said:

He's the best HC they've had in awhile.  The problem for them is they're paying a ton of money for 3 players, all on offense.  And with the new emphasis on illegal motion, it will affect the offense.

Article I was reading the other day about Belichick  chasing Shula all time win record.  It showed this graphs of wins per season for both of them and was amazing how level and consistent Shula's win per year was over entire career.  BB started out low in the Cleveland years and again tailed off big time last few years.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

He scares me a lot more than Saleh and the players generally seem to love playing for him.  Only reason he hasn’t won the division yet is because we have Josh.  Good move by the Dolphins.

Yeah Josh was pretty responsible for them losing to the Titans by blowing. 14 point lead under 2 mins to go and then getting B word slapped in Baltimore with a chance to get the number one seed on the line. Losing to the Bills was just a formality at that point 

• Haha (+1) 1

He's a good coach, but McDermott is better and eats his lunch all the time.

4 hours ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

He scares me a lot more than Saleh and the players generally seem to love playing for him.  Only reason he hasn’t won the division yet is because we have Josh.  Good move by the Dolphins.

The Dolphins also play poorly against other good teams.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Virgil said:

Smart move. McDaniel has brought the Fins back to relevancy. We are basically their Kansas City Chiefs. McDaniel needs to learn how to beat the Bills, but being a yearly contender definitely a start. On a different note, F the Dolphins 

• Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Why is this a bad move?  Bills extended McD (the first time) with 2 years left on his contract.

Didnt say it was a bad move, just good for the Bills. And I'd say better for the Bills than the Dolphins.

I like McDaniel. He's a decent offensive mind. Seems funny and chill and would probably be a good hang.

But he is one of the few coaches/QB combos that McD has absolutely figured out.

QBs usually have their best days against ol "bend but dont break". Whether you are Zach Wilson, Easton Stick, Skyler Thompson, Trevor Lawrence, Russell Wilson, etc. They all have good games against McD. Except Tua. McD has McDaniel/Tua figured out.

Not much else the Dolphins could do in this situation, and that's why it's so sweet for Bills fans. They are "good enough" to justify keeping and paying, but not good enough to be serious contenders. Purgatory.

I only wish Mac Jones would have played just a liiiitle better to have forced New England into paying him too. But I'll take what I can get.

8 hours ago, Bruffalo said:

Seems premature to me.  

His whole offense is predicated on motion that is now illegal (it already was, they're just now dedicated to enforcing it) and having the fastest of the fast at skill positions. The defense is kind of in shambles now. Hasn't accomplished anything, and has a similar W/L to the last guy that everyone hated. 

And he looks like a creep that's high all the time. 

I don't really get it. 

He may be weird but I actually think he is a good coach.  He is obviously smart on the offensive side of the ball.  Tua was a dumpsterfire bust before he came there. Now they have a dangerous offense with him still at QB. Yes it takes speed to make that offense work but it works. I think they will be fine without the motion thing. It gave them an edge but it doesnt change what their offense can do.

I dont think they will do much better than what they already have done, but I still think he is a good coach.

• Agree 2

4 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Didnt say it was a bad move, just good for the Bills. And I'd say better for the Bills than the Dolphins.

I like McDaniel. He's a decent offensive mind. Seems funny and chill and would probably be a good hang.

But he is one of the few coaches/QB combos that McD has absolutely figured out.

QBs usually have their best days against ol "bend but dont break". Whether you are Zach Wilson, Easton Stick, Skyler Thompson, Trevor Lawrence, Russell Wilson, etc. They all have good games against McD. Except Tua. McD has McDaniel/Tua figured out.

Not much else the Dolphins could do in this situation, and that's why it's so sweet for Bills fans. They are "good enough" to justify keeping and paying, but not good enough to be serious contenders. Purgatory.

I only wish Mac Jones would have played just a liiiitle better to have forced New England into paying him too. But I'll take what I can get.

I'm not sure who would do better in Miami right now, so I would rather the Fins have a guy like Daboll at the helm, than a sharp Offensive mind like McDaniel. 

Beating the Fins  won't guarantee the the Division for the Bills.