Dolphins extend McDaniels 4 years

Virgil

15 hours ago, WotAGuy said:

To not have a top-level backup QB, knowing Tua’s history and having seen Skylar last year, is criminal. Lock McDaniel and Grier up. 

Everyones backup sucks. Theres a lot to rip on them for, but Skyler was playing ok in Seattle until he got hurt. The fact they can't score without Tua is a major problem though. 

36 minutes ago, RoscoeParrish said:

I think removing any agency from Tua in regards to his own health decisions and very apparent desire to play football regardless of the risks is wrong, imo. 

And yet, the new concussion protocols do just that since it has been proven over and over that players can not be trusted to take themselves out of harms way when it comes to head injuries.

The booth took away Connor McGovern's agency for a number of plays last game. Happens all the time. That is the way of the new protocols in the modern era.

Calling it a back injury and allowing him to return to the field is on the Dolphins organization, and especially the head coach. And especially with all that we now know about head injuries.

I have plenty of criticisms of McDermott, but there is no way he lets that happen.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

And yet, the new concussion protocols do just that since it has been proven over and over that players can not be trusted to take themselves out of harms way when it comes to head injuries.

The booth took away Connor McGovern's agency for a number of plays last game. Happens all the time. That is the way of the new protocols in the modern era.

Calling it a back injury and allowing him to return to the field is on the Dolphins organization, and especially the head coach. And especially with all that we now know about head injuries.

I have plenty of criticisms of McDermott, but there is no way he lets that happen.

didnt we try to sneak mcgovern back in before he had been cleared

4 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Despite the new protocols, that are in place to protect players from themselves, and despite Tua’s injury history and risk to further head injury, he was extremely quick to report that he has no intentions to stop playing.

At a certain point, you can’t hold people responsible for other’s actions. The only one in control of Tua’s career is Tua. If he gets hurt, again, it won’t be McDaniel’s fault.

The NFL fired the neurologist who cleared Tua with a back injury. You hold McDaniel responsible for not overruling the doctor AND the player? 

49 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Everyones backup sucks. Theres a lot to rip on them for, but Skyler was playing ok in Seattle until he got hurt. The fact they can't score without Tua is a major problem though. 

Ok?  He took 5 sacks on 19 attempts. 

1 minute ago, WotAGuy said:

Ok?  He took 5 sacks on 19 attempts. 

Well that’s not great. I saw 13-19 100 yards, that at least serviceable backup numbers. 

I still stand by the fact that not being able to score with Tyreek Hill, Waddle and Achane is insane, regardless of who is at QB

• Agree 1

51 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

didnt we try to sneak mcgovern back in before he had been cleared

They seemed to report it as confusion since the medical team gave him his helmet back 🤷‍♂️

I dont think that situation is anywhere similar to the BS McDaniel tried to feed everyone in the post game and all that week about it being a back injury.

1 hour ago, RoscoeParrish said:

Despite the new protocols, that are in place to protect players from themselves, and despite Tua’s injury history and risk to further head injury, he was extremely quick to report that he has no intentions to stop playing.

At a certain point, you can’t hold people responsible for other’s actions. The only one in control of Tua’s career is Tua. If he gets hurt, again, it won’t be McDaniel’s fault.

The NFL fired the neurologist who cleared Tua with a back injury. You hold McDaniel responsible for not overruling the doctor AND the player? 

I am no doctor and dont even play one on tv but the Tua Concussion/back spasm was one of the most ridiculous things I have ever seen.

This entire folklore and McDaniel;s loving his players is either one of 2 things, 1) it is total BS or 2) McDaniels really is the idiot that he appears to be.

I was hoping McDermott was going to call the refs over and ask why is Tua coming back, I wish other teams HC could inquire about opposing players suspected of concussions to re enter the game.

3 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

I am no doctor and dont even play one on tv but the Tua Concussion/back spasm was one of the most ridiculous things I have ever seen.

This entire folklore and McDaniel;s loving his players is either one of 2 things, 1) it is total BS or 2) McDaniels really is the idiot that he appears to be.

I was hoping McDermott was going to call the refs over and ask why is Tua coming back, I wish other teams HC could inquire about opposing players suspected of concussions to re enter the game.

The doctor cleared him. 

McGovern was cleared and returned to the game just last week. McDermott didn’t hold him out just in case the doctor was wrong.

theres many valid criticisms of McDaniel, but Tua’s health is not one of them. They follow protocol. Tua continues to demand to play. Hell, they even put Tua on 4 week IR after his latest concussion purely to protect him (most players don’t miss a month with a concussion).

If I was McDaniel, would I feel guilty if Tua got hurt again? Probably.

Would it be his fault? No.

Would Tua say it was his own fault? Of course.

i don’t agree with a lot of what @Mr. WEO says, but he is 100% right here. Mitch Morse has been a recurrent head trauma player who always seemed one concussion away from retirement almost his whole career as a Bill. No one ever seemed to lay any blame at the HC’s feet for letting him play, or putting him back out there when cleared.

You guys just don’t like McDaniel and care about Tua. But your ire is misplaced. 

I think you can argue just the same, that Hill and Waddle did as much or more to resurrect Tua, and also Achane and Mostert at the beginning of last year.  To me, it looks like McDaniel had them humming, the league caught up, and the Dolphins had no other answer.  

I dont get why Tua goes down, and they get a free pass, while in the past year, we have seen Joe Flacco, Dalton, Browning, Darnold, etc all look serviceable.  Tyrod's Giants werent even this pathetic.  They still have Tyreek, Waddle, and Achane.  Tyreek Hill was by far the best and most important player on the team, and I argued that he should have been runaway MVP last season before the slide.

I am someone who a year ago felt jealous that Miami had this guy and a head start at the new-NFL.  Now, that seems like folly, and watching him on the sideline, he looks lost.  The reports out of Miami on how it is a country club would be concerning as well.  I wouldnt want this guy anywhere near head coach of the Bills.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, RoscoeParrish said:

The doctor cleared him. 

McGovern was cleared and returned to the game just last week. McDermott didn’t hold him out just in case the doctor was wrong.

theres many valid criticisms of McDaniel, but Tua’s health is not one of them. They follow protocol. Tua continues to demand to play. Hell, they even put Tua on 4 week IR after his latest concussion purely to protect him (most players don’t miss a month with a concussion).

If I was McDaniel, would I feel guilty if Tua got hurt again? Probably.

Would it be his fault? No.

Would Tua say it was his own fault? Of course.

i don’t agree with a lot of what @Mr. WEO says, but he is 100% right here. Mitch Morse has been a recurrent head trauma player who always seemed one concussion away from retirement almost his whole career as a Bill. No one ever seemed to lay any blame at the HC’s feet for letting him play, or putting him back out there when cleared.

You guys just don’t like McDaniel and care about Tua. But your ire is misplaced. 

Not true, Please dont insinuate who I like or dont like.

I think the world of Tua, McDaniels I dont "dislike" him but find him very weird.  I dont think that is some "bizarre take".

Yes I know he was cleared by the neurologist but as I already wrote, I am no doctor but all the parties involved in letting him come back bear, imo, moral responsibility.

As for putting him now on 4 week IR, at this point they pretty much "had to" post all his concussion issues.

Re Mitch, I always thought he should retire but he knows the risk and I am glad that injury risk is no longer on the Bills.  I wish him all the best.

As for McGovern, cant opin on that, missed part of the game. 

8 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Not true, Please dont insinuate who I like or dont like.

I think the world of Tua, McDaniels I dont "dislike" him but find him very weird.  I dont think that is some "bizarre take".

Yes I know he was cleared by the neurologist but as I already wrote, I am no doctor but all the parties involved in letting him come back bear, imo, moral responsibility.

As for putting him now on 4 week IR, at this point they pretty much "had to" post all his concussion issues.

Re Mitch, I always thought he should retire but he knows the risk and I am glad that injury risk is no longer on the Bills.  I wish him all the best.

As for McGovern, cant opin on that, missed part of the game. 

“I would have contradicted the medical professional and the player despite my complete inexperience in medicine because of my morals” IS quite a take. 

Does McDermott bear moral responsibility for Morse’s last concussion? I know the doctor’s cleared him to play, but McD could have just disregarded that like McDaniel’s could have. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, RoscoeParrish said:

Yeah nothing is forgotten more in the McDaniel sucks and Tua is not good enough discussion, is that prior to McDaniel, Tua was not considered fine. The talk was how the Dolphins missed on Burrow and Herbert and Tua was garbage and the team needed to move on.

McDaniel isn’t perfect. But he saved Tua’s career. 

I think Mijami PR department saved his career and cost him his health.

2 hours ago, RoscoeParrish said:

Tua is saying what his laywer told him to say - make Mijami suspend him or tell him he cannot play so he can keep guaranteed pay.

1 hour ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

"he was cleared to return"

On 9/13/2024 at 8:18 AM, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

He’s starting to feel closer to Chan Gailey now where he came up with a good system that worked for awhile but then got figured out and he can’t adjust.  

This is a great comparison. Difference being that McDaniel has Hill and Waddle and Gailey had Stevie and David Nelson

I'm not totally sold that the league has caught up to McDaniel so much as it had caught up a little bit to Tua and Miami's oline lost a couple of important guys off of a group that wasn't good to start with. 

I'm as big a critic of McDaniel as a Head Coach and a leader as anyone, but as an offensive coach? Yea I still think he is good and the job he has done there with the offense deserves respect.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

43 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I'm not totally sold that the league has caught up to McDaniel so much as it had caught up a little bit to Tua and Miami's oline lost a couple of important guys off of a group that wasn't good to start with. 

I'm as big a critic of McDaniel as a Head Coach and a leader as anyone, but as an offensive coach? Yea I still think he is good and the job he has done there with the offense deserves respect.

I agree.   He could have a long NFL career as an OC.  As a HC though…I think he is on borrowed time. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, RoscoeParrish said:

“I would have contradicted the medical professional and the player despite my complete inexperience in medicine because of my morals” IS quite a take. 

Does McDermott bear moral responsibility for Morse’s last concussion? I know the doctor’s cleared him to play, but McD could have just disregarded that like McDaniel’s could have. 

IMO, little comparison to Morse and the "obvious" Tua concussion.  There is little to no room for "absolutes" in this area, each is different.  Speaking personally, if I were McDermott,  I would have let Morse continue with little "guilt",  whereas McDaniels, it was, again, imo, ridiculous and no it is not because as someone suggested "i don't like him".

• Like (+1) 1