Dolphins extend McDaniels 4 years

Virgil

A great offensive coach gets more out of their offense than a touchdown in 10 quarters or whatever.  Yes, backup qb... but they still have a lot of weapons.  Tennessee had a backup qb and still managed to score 31 and win.  

This power outage goes back to the 2nd half of last season.

There also seems to be a lot of smoke out of Miami that the team does not practice hard at all and it's a country club.  I also think trying to treat players as friends and "teammates" is a weak way to manage.  I know it's not 1970, but there needs to be a layer of authority

Edited by May Day 10
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

No it's still about leadership first and foremost. Xs and Os matter. But the ability to hold a locker room together through adversity matters more. Because it's the rare NFL season that you go through without it. Just because you can't be an old school hard ass, rah-rah leader these days doesn't mean leadership is secondary. It remains the most important quality of a head coach. 

You’re probably correct in a lot of this, but I don’t think the average fan can assess leadership ability from sideline television images. The most important leadership happens behind closed doors. He might be a terrible leader, but I don’t know it’s that easy to say. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

It isn't about being a dictator. It is about having clear control over your team. Reid has always had that, despite being a relaxed players coach. If you think Stefanski has always had that I don't know what to tell you.

2 coach of the years with 2 different QBs clearly demonstrates lack of control of his roster. 

https://arrowheadguys.com/should-the-chiefs-fire-andy-reid/#google_vignette

12 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

It isn't about being a dictator. It is about having clear control over your team. Reid has always had that, despite being a relaxed players coach. If you think Stefanski has always had that I don't know what to tell you.

Travis Kelce shoved Reid on the sideline. That doesn’t seem like an old school leader who demands respect. 

9 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

A great offensive coach gets more out of their offense than a touchdown in 10 quarters or whatever.  Yes, backup qb... but they still have a lot of weapons.  Tennessee had a backup qb and still managed to score 31 and win.  

This power outage goes back to the 2nd half of last season.

There also seems to be a lot of smoke out of Miami that the team does not practice hard at all and it's a country club.  I also think trying to treat players as friends and "teammates" is a weak way to manage.  I know it's not 1970, but there needs to be a layer of authority

Eh, I bet you can find bad stretches for every really good offensive coach (Reid, McVey, Shananah, etc.)

like hopefully MM is terrible but how coaches would be thriving in Miami’s circumstances? Honestly, it might be scary if he gets to pick a new qb with more physical skills than Tua next year (really weak qb draft though). 

Just now, GunnerBill said:

You don't have to be an old school leader to be a leader.

I agree, I’m just saying, everyone likes to mock McDaniels for not commanding respect, but you have Reid running a team that’s out of control in their behavior. It’s his ability as an OC that makes them win games. 

• Disagree 1
  • Dislike 1

Andy Reid is a beloved figure in the league among players and coaches and has 3 SB rings as a HC, 1 as an assistant, and is looking to 3-peat. 

What are we even talking about here? He's not a leader? He's not a great offensive mind because of some stat? 

When he retires he could very well be #1 or #2 all time in HC wins. 

This thread is about the creepy video game nerd whose offense relies on getting lucky with wide open WR speedsters for TDs. 

McDaniel is like playing a kid in Madden who had one glitch trick play you couldn't stop, then once you find the play to stop it he can't do anything. 

NFL defenses have patched the glitch in the matrix, and Miami is clueless. 

Edited by TheFunPolice
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, SirAndrew said:

I agree, I’m just saying, everyone likes to mock McDaniels for not commanding respect, but you have Reid running a team that’s out of control in their behavior. It’s his ability as an OC that makes them win games. 

Agree

There's plenty of evidence to suggest Reid is a football genius, and also that the people he's been charged w leading tend to find themselves in a shitload of trouble

• Like (+1) 1

McDaniel's problem is he can't get the defense right. To be a head coach in this league you have to get both sides of the ball figured out, and their defense has been abysmal at times. And look at the Bills dominance in the division from Miami's perspective. Every time they have a big game against us they fall apart, or the one time they beat us it ultimately didn't matter in the final standings. At this point he is just an elite offensive mind not a great head coach. This year he got hit by bad circumstances more than his own failures, but even still we were blowing out his team before Tua's concussion and at a certain point there are no excuses you just have to find a way to overcome your division rival.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

McDaniel's problem is he can't get the defense right. To be a head coach in this league you have to get both sides of the ball figured out, and their defense has been abysmal at times. And look at the Bills dominance in the division from Miami's perspective. Every time they have a big game against us they fall apart, or the one time they beat us it ultimately didn't matter in the final standings. At this point he is just an elite offensive mind not a great head coach. This year he got hit by bad circumstances more than his own failures, but even still we were blowing out his team before Tua's concussion and at a certain point there are no excuses you just have to find a way to overcome your division rival.

Can’t get the offense right against good teams either usually…really don’t even think he’s an elite offensive mind at this point 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

16 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Can’t get the offense right against good teams either usually…really don’t even think he’s an elite offensive mind at this point 

Tua was close to bust status before McDaniel took over. Personally I still think he's a very limited QB and they have a poor OL. McDaniel turned all of that into an elite offense, and I don't blame him for Tua falling apart every winter. But being just a great offensive mind isn't enough in the NFL. Andy Reid made a great DC hire which turned the Chiefs into a dynasty. McDaniel hasn't gotten it right yet. Also I think Chris Grier is one of the worst GMs in the league. Reminds me of Doug Whaley, loves making a splash move but has no clue how to build a team.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Tua was close to bust status before McDaniel took over. Personally I still think he's a very limited QB and they have a poor OL. McDaniel turned all of that into an elite offense, and I don't blame him for Tua falling apart every winter. But being just a great offensive mind isn't enough in the NFL. Andy Reid made a great DC hire which turned the Chiefs into a dynasty. McDaniel hasn't gotten it right yet. Also I think Chris Grier is one of the worst GMs in the league. Reminds me of Doug Whaley, loves making a splash move but has no clue how to build a team.

Agree Grier sucks. 

6 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Yeah nothing is forgotten more in the McDaniel sucks and Tua is not good enough discussion, is that prior to McDaniel, Tua was not considered fine. The talk was how the Dolphins missed on Burrow and Herbert and Tua was garbage and the team needed to move on.

McDaniel isn’t perfect. But he saved Tua’s career. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, RoscoeParrish said:

Yeah nothing is forgotten more in the McDaniel sucks and Tua is not good enough discussion, is that prior to McDaniel, Tua was not considered fine. The talk was how the Dolphins missed on Burrow and Herbert and Tua was garbage and the team needed to move on.

McDaniel isn’t perfect. But he saved Tua’s career. 

In some ways yes, in some ways no.

He coordinated a better offensive scheme that, when not defended properly, plays into Tua's few strengths which ultimately got him a big 2nd contract.

However, he also sacrificed Tua's health and possible career with that "back injury" BS and pushing him back out onto the field mere days after his concussion against the Bills, leading to that horrible situation against the Bengals, and ultimately his current state where a glancing blow knocks him out of the lineup for at least 4 weeks. (If not ending his career completely as Tua should absolutely be thinking about retiring right now).

14 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

In some ways yes, in some ways no.

He coordinated a better offensive scheme that, when not defended properly, plays into Tua's few strengths which ultimately got him a big 2nd contract.

However, he also sacrificed Tua's health and possible career with that "back injury" BS and pushing him back out onto the field mere days after his concussion against the Bills, leading to that horrible situation against the Bengals, and ultimately his current state where a glancing blow knocks him out of the lineup for at least 4 weeks. (If not ending his career completely as Tua should absolutely be thinking about retiring right now).

I think removing any agency from Tua in regards to his own health decisions and very apparent desire to play football regardless of the risks is wrong, imo.