Dolphins extend McDaniels 4 years

Virgil

23 hours ago, Breakout Squad said:

McDaniel showed zero emotion or even motion on the sidelines last night. Nothing about him shows leadership or ability to lead men. 

I'll always go back to it - if anyone thinks this guy is a leader of men and a good HC you just need to watch last season in-season hard knocks.  When things started going sideways it was pathetic to the point of cringe watching him try to fire guys up and lead when that was what was required - beyond the word salads and "quirkiness" the media loves so much.  For the KC game you can almost hear the eye rolls and tuning out from the players when he was trying to "lead".  There's a reason his personality is one of one in the NFL as a HC - because it doesn't work.

Edited by stevewin
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

Extending Tua and McDaniel is showing that the Fins are a hot mess......neither one of them deserved an extension, however, i am absolutely giddy at the prospect that both will be out of the league or a job within 1-2 years.

The Fins will be in cap hell come next season and any progress they thought they were making will be long, longggggggggggg gone.

47 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

I buy that. That team has plenty of talent. BB is a guy to take them over the top

Just curious, would it be an in season move or post season?

I can’t speak to the timing.  All I was told is that they were taking in advance of the Bills game.  

1 hour ago, Sweats said:

Extending Tua and McDaniel is showing that the Fins are a hot mess......neither one of them deserved an extension, however, i am absolutely giddy at the prospect that both will be out of the league or a job within 1-2 years.

The Fins will be in cap hell come next season and any progress they thought they were making will be long, longggggggggggg gone.

You’re happy that Tua got a concussion?

bad mojo. 

3 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I will go down with the ship on this one - I appear to be the only person in the world who thinks McDaniel is a really good head coach.  

Yea you are on your own there. I don't think he demonstrates any leadership skill. 

1 hour ago, Sweats said:

You won’t be so giddy when they ship Reek back to KC.

4 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I will go down with the ship on this one - I appear to be the only person in the world who thinks McDaniel is a really good head coach.  

I think people want the Vince Lombardi speeches, but today’s game is more about X’s and O’s. McDaniel is good at that part of the game, and he’s now coaching a backup QB. Teams don’t usually win with a backup. That’s not solely on the coach. I don’t think he’s great, but I think the leadership/pep talk stuff is overrated. This generation of players isn’t going to respond to Kneut Rockne speeches. It’s more about players liking their head coach, avoiding a toxic environment. It seems that team likes McDaniel plenty well enough. 

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

I think people want the Vince Lombardi speeches, but today’s game is more about X’s and O’s. McDaniel is good at that part of the game, and he’s now coaching a backup QB. Teams don’t usually win with a backup. That’s not solely on the coach. I don’t think he’s great, but I think the leadership/pep talk stuff is overrated. This generation of players isn’t going to respond to Kneut Rockne speeches. It’s more about players liking their head coach, avoiding a toxic environment. It seems that team likes McDaniel plenty well enough. 

No it's still about leadership first and foremost. Xs and Os matter. But the ability to hold a locker room together through adversity matters more. Because it's the rare NFL season that you go through without it. Just because you can't be an old school hard ass, rah-rah leader these days doesn't mean leadership is secondary. It remains the most important quality of a head coach. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

In what way?

3 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

I buy that. That team has plenty of talent. BB is a guy to take them over the top.

Not if he is also their GM.

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea you are on your own there. I don't think he demonstrates any leadership skill. 

I think a lot of offensive coaches are like that though. Does anyone think Zac Taylor or Kevin Stefanski are great leaders? Also, I don’t know if Reid is known as a great leader or disciplinarian. He just has great schemes and doesn’t micromanage his talent. 

53 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

I’m curious what makes you say that 

He made Tua into the leading passer in the nfl for one. I think he is one of the best offensive coaches in the nfl. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I think a lot of offensive coaches are like that though. Does anyone think Zac Taylor or Kevin Stefanski are great leaders? Also, I don’t know if Reid is known as a great leader or disciplinarian. He just has great schemes and doesn’t micromanage his talent. 

Reid is an excellent leader. Yes. He isn't a disciplinarian. You don't need to be to be a great leader. He is a players coach. But you can be a great leader that way too. No I don't particularly think Stefanski or Taylor are particularly good Head Coaches. I'd hire Stefanski as an OC tomorrow though. And I would McDaniel too. I think McDaniel is a really good offensive mind. The best unique mind off the Shanhan tree IMO. But I think OC is where his skillset is best suited.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

He made Tua into the leading passer in the nfl for one. I think he is one of the best offensive coaches in the nfl. 

Tua is a top 5 pick, he was expected to be a leading passer.  He was projected before his injury to the #1 overall pick.

I'm not sure how great his schemes are when he has that much speed but can't score after the month of November.

Have you seen how bad of a team they are in December and January?  They are 4-10 in that span.  

They average 37 ppg against non-playoff teams.  They average 17 ppg against playoff teams.  

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

You’re happy that Tua got a concussion?

bad mojo. 

That's not what i said, so don't twist my words, son.

I'm happy that both will be out of the league soon......nowhere did i say that i'm happy a guy got a concussion and i know you're thinking that Tua will be out of the league soon because of his concussion. 

Did i cause that?

5 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

i like him...not sure i would call him a really good hc tho. said this about him yesterday in another thread for some reason:

21 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

I think McDaniel is victimizing himself tbh

He appears to be more of a problem solver than a thinker...he took Tua's fairly limited skill set and magnified the best parts w/out trying to improve the offense holistically 

Whether that was entirely his decision or not is kind of up for debate, apparently the power struggle between Ross/Grier and Flores left a lot of messy personnel choices in its wake

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Reid is an excellent leader. Yes. He isn't a disciplinarian. You don't need to be to be a great leader. He is a players coach. But you can be a great leader that way too. No I don't particularly think Stefanski or Taylor are particularly good Head Coaches. I'd hire Stefanski as an OC tomorrow though. And I would McDaniel too. I think McDaniel is a really good offensive mind. The best unique mind off the Shanhan tree IMO. But I think OC is where his skillset is best suited.

KS has been coach of the year twice and went to the playoffs with Joe Flacco last year. I guess I’m not getting what you think a great leader is as a nfl coach now. Reid literally had Taylor Swift’s boyfriend shove him in the SB and has a team that gets in legal trouble all the time (including his son coach). I would argue that doesn’t make for great leadership. 

I think the days of Belichick (who was awful at the end) are kinda done. I used to think college was where the coaches get to be dictators but I don’t even know if that’s the case anymore with NIL and transfers. I think the MM is going to be the archetype of coaches going forward. 

15 minutes ago, Sweats said:

That's not what i said, so don't twist my words, son.

I'm happy that both will be out of the league soon......nowhere did i say that i'm happy a guy got a concussion and i know you're thinking that Tua will be out of the league soon because of his concussion. 

Did i cause that?

Well Tua won’t be out of the league if he didn’t have that concussion. 

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

KS has been coach of the year twice and went to the playoffs with Joe Flacco last year. I guess I’m not getting what you think a great leader is as a nfl coach now. Reid literally had Taylor Swift’s boyfriend shove him in the SB and has a team that gets in legal trouble all the time (including his son coach). I would argue that doesn’t make for great leadership. 

I think the days of Belichick (who was awful at the end) are kinda done. I used to think college was where the coaches get to be dictators but I don’t even know if that’s the case anymore with NIL and transfers. I think the MM is going to be the archetype of coaches going forward. 

Jesus, i just knew you were going to say that.

5 minutes ago, Sweats said:

Jesus, i just knew you were going to say that.

Don’t take the lords name in vain!

but I apologize for saying the truth. Yes without a concussion, the nfls leading passer last year would not be out of the nfl in 2 years. 

19 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

It isn't about being a dictator. It is about having clear control over your team. Reid has always had that, despite being a relaxed players coach. If you think Stefanski has always had that I don't know what to tell you.

• Disagree 1