Dolphins extend McDaniels 4 years

Virgil

10 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

I think he’s talking about limited in variety of what they can do to you.  Teams that can disrupt the timing on those quick throws don’t really have any trouble with that offense that has so much of a cap investment.  Seems like they very rarely cracked 20 points against winning teams which just isn’t good enough when your strength is offense…doesn’t even matter that they’re dropping 50+ against terrible teams 

I am critical of Miami too but they were a formidable foe last year.  They were leading going into the 4th quarter of the last game that decided the division.  I agree they have limitations but they are not a clown show on offense.  

I was kind of a fan of the guy, and bought into the idea that he maybe represented a new wave of what coaches are going to be.

But I've seen his do some really puzzling game and time management moves that smart nfl head coaches just don't do.  The end of the first half of the bills game is an example. It looked like the dolphins quit on him after that.  In these situations, they showed him on the sidelines and he looks like a deer in headlights. His hand holding his play cards was trembling in the bills game.

They have an inability to beat good teams in games that matter other than when they heat stroked the bills, and the other time they came back on the Ravens.

I feel like a non fraudulent coach like Shanahan or John Harbough would have been able to get some points out of a skylar Thompson offense with those weapons.  

I think he is a disaster that had a couple tricks that were figured out.  Players don't respect him and it could get ugly if it goes south.

Edited by May Day 10

25 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

I was kind of a fan of the guy, and bought into the idea that he maybe represented a new wave of what coaches are going to be.

But I've seen his do some really puzzling game and time management moves that smart nfl head coaches just don't do.  The end of the first half of the bills game is an example. It looked like the dolphins quit on him after that.  In these situations, they showed him on the sidelines and he looks like a deer in headlights. His hand holding his play cards was trembling in the bills game.

They have an inability to beat good teams in games that matter other than when the heat stroked the bills, and the other time they came back on the Ravens.

I feel like a non fraudulent coach like Shanghai or John Harbough would have been able to get some points out of a skylar Thompson offense with those weapons.  

I think he is a disaster that had a couple tricks that were figured out.  Players don't respect him and it could get ugly if it goes south.

Malik Willis was absolute joke and was traded for a future 7th and Laflur is making him look like a great player. Some guy

s get the most out of their talent and make believers out of their guys. 

The dolphins got smacked in the mouth and poindexter can’t rally them 

32 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

They have an inability to beat good teams in games that matter other than when the heat stroked the bills, and the other time they came back on the Ravens.

I feel like a non fraudulent coach like Shanghai or John Harbough would have been able to get some points out of a skylar Thompson offense with those weapons.  

It is time for the GM to start selling players until they can bring in a rookie who they can build a team around.

7 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Malik Willis was absolute joke and was traded for a future 7th and Laflur is making him look like a great player. Some guy

s get the most out of their talent and make believers out of their guys. 

The dolphins got smacked in the mouth and poindexter can’t rally them 

I mean he lost 34-31 in Buffalo with Skylar at qb. It’s not like he’s never gotten the team up to play in bad situations.

First up, it’s inevitable to be a crapshoot with those talent deficits at qb. Then there is the reality that Green Bay gets their qb back any day while Miami may have seen theirs have his career ended. Totally different situation for the other 52.

3 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

I mean he lost 34-31 in Buffalo with Skylar at qb. It’s not like he’s never gotten the team up to play in bad situations.

First up, it’s inevitable to be a crapshoot with those talent deficits at qb. Then there is the reality that Green Bay gets their qb back any day while Miami may have seen theirs have his career ended. Totally different situation for the other 52.

Ehh, at the same time, that was a zombie of a Bills team that was sleepwalking through games post-Hamlin death.

• Agree 2

58 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

I recommend going back and watching that game. The dolphins sucked. The Bills were rolling and got lazy and sloppy and let Miami back in it. McDaniel isn’t a good HC and his teams are soft 

• Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

I recommend going back and watching that game. The dolphins sucked. The Bills were rolling and got lazy and sloppy and let Miami back in it. McDaniel isn’t a good HC and his teams are soft 

im not arguing he’s great or anything. I think he’s a perfectly normal decent nfl coach. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, NoSaint said:

im not arguing he’s great or anything. I think he’s a perfectly normal decent nfl coach. 

I think he is a very talented offensive play designer and a good playcaller. I do think he is a bad Head Coach though. You can get so far by being a clever Xs and Os guy. But eventually as a Head Coach you have to be able to lead. And that is McDaniel's issue IMO. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I like him a lot. Good coach in a tough spot.

We've seen coaching legends look like the game has passed them by as soon as they get turbulence at QB. What's going on this year with typically scrubby QBs having significant success (Darnold, Fields, Willis, and maybe Dalton?) is wild. Maybe you get one of those stories a year. Is it all coaching, or are these QBs just getting hot enough?

Miami planned on winning last year and just like us they had to part ways with a lot of their core in the offseason. They haven't been able to handle it nearly as well. The season is still young, and if they can pivot, the narrative will change. Against us? Not likely, but enough to be respectable? I wouldn't bet too much against it.

13 hours ago, Matt_In_NH said:

I am critical of Miami too but they were a formidable foe last year.  They were leading going into the 4th quarter of the last game that decided the division.  I agree they have limitations but they are not a clown show on offense.  

Not a clown show but they are a completely different offense against good opponents which makes them overrated I’d say. They ended up losing that game you’re talking about because they were shut out in the second half.  They forced 3 turnovers and lost the game 21-14

i think they’ve scored over 21 points against an eventual playoff team 3 times in mcdaniel’s tenure and have a record of like 3-13 against those teams with two of those wins coming in back to back weeks early in 2022 before there was a lot of film on them. All three of those wins were extremely close games.

they have never once gone out there and won comfortably against a playoff team so who cares that they can drop 70 on the broncos 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I think he is a very talented offensive play designer and a good playcaller. I do think he is a bad Head Coach though. You can get so far by being a clever Xs and Os guy. But eventually as a Head Coach you have to be able to lead. And that is McDaniel's issue IMO. 

I don’t even think he’s a good play caller lol anyone can call plays when you have huge physical mismatches all over the field against bad defenses.  That offense routinely doesn’t show up against good opponents though which is a pretty obvious sign that there’s big time coaching/scheme issues 

if they were losing shootouts to the KC,BUF,BAL,CIN,SF type teams I’d give McDaniel a little more credit but that is usually not what happens 

I don’t think he’s making it to 2028, he couldn’t even beat good teams when his team was at its peak and they’re headed for cap hell and haven’t had a lot of early draft picks to replace guys.  They’ve been propped up by always beating bad teams but I think we’re gonna start to see them lose some of those types of games 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

18 hours ago, Matt_In_NH said:

The Dolphins were absolutely pathetic in their playoff game vs KC, fully living up to their soft reputation.

17 hours ago, Saxum said:

It is time for the GM to start selling players until they can bring in a rookie who they can build a team around.

I don't think they even can at this point due to so many recent large deals they handed out.  It'll take 4 years to get out of this mess.

This team for a couple weeks looked to further push the NFL into a boutique league where you can just get speed, speed, speed, have a madden player book-smart coach who breaks the mold, and turn the sport into a track meet.  

It turns out, that fell on its face

In order to remain competitive, you need a renewable flow of good, intelligent, and hungry individuals you accumulate through drafts, UDFAs, and scrap heap.  A star QB is huge, but not 100% necessary, as there are more capable people at that position than ever.  It seems super important to have a stable, durable, skilled Offensive line.  Above all, you need a head coach who motivates everyone to be their best, prepare, and stick their necks out for the team.   Need speed, but also toughness.

McDaniel and the Dolphins represent none of that, and have pretty much done the opposite.