Dolphins extend McDaniels 4 years

Virgil

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Locking up (overpaying) Tua, letting their defense walk to afford it, and now this.

Good things for the Bills owning the AFC East.

What were their other options? McDaniels is one of the best offensive coaches in the nfl and Tua was the highest rated passer in nfl last year. We I’ll always beat them, especially in the cold, but in theory, they have a good QB- head coach combo. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

10 minutes ago, Logic said:

I'll grant you that the Bills continually fold in the playoffs, but they're actually incredibly good in November and December. I don't have their November/December record from the past four years in front of me, but it's elite. Josh Allen is also one of the best 4th quarter and crunch time QBs in the game by any metric.

Meanwhile, here's an article about how the Dolphins fold late in games and late in seasons.

I get what you're saying, but the Bills and Dolphins are not the same. Tua and Josh are not the same.

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2024/1/5/24026177/dolphins-bills-tua-tagovailoa-future-nfl-playoffs-afc-east

*edit: whoops. I had included the wrong article before. Fixed now.

I'm just saying

McDaniels has pretty much maxed out Tua and made the playoffs two years running in a division that includes one of the AFC's premier teams...Chargers aren't doing that. Neither are the Bengals for that matter

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

I'm just saying

McDaniels has pretty much maxed out Tua and made the playoffs two years running in a division that includes one of the AFC's premier teams...Chargers aren't doing that. Neither are the Bengals for that matter

Bengals do when Burrow isn't hurt

Chargers did more of a reset at the skill positions than I thought they would. They have $70M in cap space next year.  Harbaugh is going to build a bully and with Herbert will be in the AFC Championship game next year. 

21 minutes ago, Logic said:

I'll grant you that the Bills continually fold in the playoffs, but they're actually incredibly good in November and December. I don't have their November/December record from the past four years in front of me, but it's elite. Josh Allen is also one of the best 4th quarter and crunch time QBs in the game by any metric.

Meanwhile, here's an article about how the Dolphins fold late in games and late in seasons.

I get what you're saying, but the Bills and Dolphins are not the same. Tua and Josh are not the same.

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2024/1/5/24026177/dolphins-bills-tua-tagovailoa-future-nfl-playoffs-afc-east

The Phins “folded” in the 2022 playoffs  cause they had Skyler Thomson playing QB. That was a whopping 3 point loss to the Bills. 

They “folded” in 2023 because they lost every player that could rush the passer to injury. 

I am not saying that they have it all figured out. They certainly haven’t proved anything close to that yet. But that’s two seasons lost to one of the same excuses I hear here ad naseum - injury. Why give McDermott a pass on that (for longer no less), but not McDaniel?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

They “folded” in 2023 because they lost every player that could rush the passer to injury. 

If only we could apply that reasoning to our failures while losing our best most highly paid defenders

7 minutes ago, Andrew Son said:

If only we could apply that reasoning to our failures while losing our best most highly paid defenders

I’ll settle for some degree of consistency between the Bills and other teams. There are always nuances and differences, but standards usually seem very different. 

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

The Phins “folded” in the 2022 playoffs  cause they had Skyler Thomson playing QB. That was a whopping 3 point loss to the Bills. 

I am not saying that they have it all figured out. They certainly haven’t proved anything close to that yet. But that’s two seasons lost to one of the same excuses I hear here ad naseum - injury. Why give McDermott a pass on that (for longer no less), but not McDaniel?

To answer your question: I can't speak for others, but I'm not giving McDermott a pass. I called for him to be fired last year. The way the team rallied around him, and some specific ways in which I saw him improve as a coach over the course of the season, caused me to call off the dogs for now. But if the same old "getting whooped in the divisional round" song and dance continues, you can bet your bottom dollar I'll be calling for a change again.

*Edit:

As for Mike McDaniel: I'm sticking with what I said.

I think he's an excellent play designer and play caller, but I DON'T think he's a quality head coach. I don't think he's a natural speaker or a natural leader. He gives convoluted word salad answers. I don't find him to be authentic. I find him to be awkward and much of his schtick to be contrived. I'm just not a believer.

I fully understand why the Dolphins extended him. They should. What else could they do? I just don't trust him to be anything more than the Rex Ryan of offense. Entertaining, full of bluster, and coordinates a cutting edge scheme. Once the league catches up to the cutting edge scheme and the innovations stop, all that's left is the schtick and the bluster. 

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

I'm just saying

I agree, most people on this board think that Tua is limited, but also dislike McDaniels. I don’t think those things can both be true. I believe Tua is a very average QB, and has been made to look good with McDaniels great scheme. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

42 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

What were their other options? McDaniels is one of the best offensive coaches in the nfl and Tua was the highest rated passer in nfl last year. We I’ll always beat them, especially in the cold, but in theory, they have a good QB- head coach combo. 

36 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

I'm just saying

61da443b468d4ecc8a6231b47e058dc4

• Haha (+1) 1

Makes sense for Miami.  They have had some success under him, and his high points are high (top scoring offense).  They are banking on him being better with the defense, and being able to maintain that top end ability on offense.

If they dont extend him, what else do they do?  Bank on another HC?  I dont think they have another option

3 minutes ago, Logic said:

To answer your question: I can't speak for others, but I'm not giving McDermott a pass. I called for him to be fired last year. The way the team rallied around him, and some specific ways in which I saw him improve as a coach over the course of the season, caused me to call of the dogs for now. But if the same old "getting whooped in the divisional round" song and dance continues, you can bet your bottom dollar I'll be calling for a change again.

join the crowd, it's not like you'll be alone.

tumblr_inline_msatniOS3j1qz4rgp.gif

1 hour ago, Logic said:

Great in September and October, folds in November and beyond.

Great in the 1st and 2nd quarter, folds in the 3rd quarter and beyond.

Until further notice, this is who BOTH Tua AND McDaniel are to me.

When its early in the season and its a sunny day and things are going well, they're lions. When it's crunch time and its a cold December night and adversity hits, they turn into lambs.

I think McDaniel can be an EXCELLENT offensive coordinator in this league for many years, but I don't think he has what it takes to be a head coach. I think he's not a natural speaker, not a natural leader, and that his cutesy schtick only works when things are going well. If the Dolphins ever hit a rough patch, or continue to be unable to break through to greater postseason success, I expect his act to wear thin on players. I do not fear Mike McDaniel, and I do not fear Tua Tagovailoa.

"...other than that, Miss Lincoln, how was the play?"

I watched a couple episodes of Hard Knocks last year (guess which ones, haha) and I came away pretty unimpressed with McDaniel's leadership.  That's not to say that those 2 weeks are reflective of everything, and also not to say that he can't get better at leadership.  But based on what I've seen so far, I don't fear him staying in the division.  Having said that, they could do a lot worse.  McDaniel's offensive schemes are legit.

1 hour ago, Logic said:

Yeah, our issue is the playoffs has mostly been everyone but Josh Allen taking turns choking - including the whole defense as a collective.  That and some bad injury luck.  We've been INCREDIBLE down the stretch of regular seasons under McDermott.  Usually paired with a good start, and a serious lull sometime in October or early November.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Bruffalo said:

Seems premature to me.  

I don't really get it. 

3 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Locking up (overpaying) Tua, letting their defense walk to afford it, and now this.

Good things for the Bills owning the AFC East.

Why is this a bad move?  Bills extended McD (the first time) with 2 years left on his contract.

• Like (+1) 1

Meh. The dude has a nice offense that seems to slow down when the weather is less than great. Not a great outlook for a franchise that may have to play road games outdoors in Buffalo, KC, Cincinnati, Cleveland, New Jersey, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, or Denver come winter time. 

All that speed is great and is really fun and exciting to watch. But that offense isn't built for playoff/bad weather football and that's going to be their Achilles heal unless they get home field through the playoffs. 

I get that they made the playoffs twice, but he sits at an 0-2 playoff record, no division titles and a history of his team falling flat in the final weeks of the season. I would have been more inclined to have this be a "win something and we will extend you next off-season" type year. But, being a coach it's just money spent and doesn't really count against anything moving forward if they cut bait with him, so good for him I suppose. 

4 hours ago, Slippery Rubber Mats said:

I give him a lot of credit for the quality of that offense. IMO they have no choice but to extend the guy

Is it quality though?  I mean they stockpile stats against sub .500 teams and then choke and crap the bed against teams above .500 as they have only 2 wins in 2 years against teams .500 or above.  They may not even make the playoffs this year.

Edited by Alphadawg7