Dolphins extend McDaniels 4 years

Virgil

Seems premature to me.  

His whole offense is predicated on motion that is now illegal (it already was, they're just now dedicated to enforcing it) and having the fastest of the fast at skill positions. The defense is kind of in shambles now. Hasn't accomplished anything, and has a similar W/L to the last guy that everyone hated. 

And he looks like a creep that's high all the time. 

I don't really get it. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 3
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Yeah, well your avatar is pretty freaky too, Jerry. 🤨😁

image.thumb.jpeg.5286bb476c51efae613f898400a8d072.jpeg

Megamind Sal Cappacio is the truth and no one will convince me otherwise. 

• Haha (+1) 2

Don't blame them. 2 yrs/ 2 playoff appearances.  May not seem like much, but when you've been mired in futility for so many years it's quite the accomplishment.

Their offense is gimmicky yet effective against some defenses. Their defense has "name" players but really can't stop anyone, so there's that. 

We should have T-shirts made that say, "I wish it were longer", but the wording might backfire on us. 🤣

Edited by billsbackto81
  • Haha (+1) 5

24 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Locking up (overpaying) Tua, letting their defense walk to afford it, and now this.

Good things for the Bills owning the AFC East.

I have similar sentiments to the Tua extension.  Not enough years and not enough dollars!

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

You can't blame them really. It's their first time having consecutive Playoff appearances since Wannstedt. It doesn't mean he will make it as their HC for that long, but he has been better than what they had seen previously for the past 20 years. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

Great in September and October, folds in November and beyond.

Great in the 1st and 2nd quarter, folds in the 3rd quarter and beyond.

Until further notice, this is who BOTH Tua AND McDaniel are to me.

When its early in the season and its a sunny day and things are going well, they're lions. When it's crunch time and its a cold December night and adversity hits, they turn into lambs.

I think McDaniel can be an EXCELLENT offensive coordinator in this league for many years, but I don't think he has what it takes to be a head coach. I think he's not a natural speaker, not a natural leader, and that his cutesy schtick only works when things are going well. If the Dolphins ever hit a rough patch, or continue to be unable to break through to greater postseason success, I expect his act to wear thin on players. I do not fear Mike McDaniel, and I do not fear Tua Tagovailoa.

"...other than that, Miss Lincoln, how was the play?"

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3

He's the best HC they've had in awhile.  The problem for them is they're paying a ton of money for 3 players, all on offense.  And with the new emphasis on illegal motion, it will affect the offense.

• Like (+1) 1

He's a good coach, and a better innovator on offense than anything we've had since Daboll.

They've constructed a team, though, that is going to need to get home-field to get to the Super Bowl. All the other powerhouses in the AFC play outdoors in the cold, and I don't know if I've seen a team pack it up in bad weather quite like they did in KC last year.

16 minutes ago, Logic said:

Great in September and October, folds in November and beyond.

Great in the 1st and 2nd quarter, folds in the 3rd quarter and beyond.

Until further notice, this is who BOTH Tua AND McDaniel are to me.

When its early in the season and its a sunny day and things are going well, they're lions. When it's crunch time and its a cold December night and adversity hits, they turn into lambs.

I think McDaniel can be an EXCELLENT offensive coordinator in this league for many years, but I don't think he has what it takes to be a head coach. I think he's not a natural speaker, not a natural leader, and that his cutesy schtick only works when things are going well. If the Dolphins ever hit a rough patch, or continue to be unable to break through to greater postseason success, I expect his act to wear thin on players. I do not fear Mike McDaniel, and I do not fear Tua Tagovailoa.

"...other than that, Miss Lincoln, how was the play?"

Probably word for word what Bengals and Chiefs feel about us

• Agree 4
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, T.E. said:

He's a good coach, and a better innovator on offense than anything we've had since Daboll.

Not a high bar, but I still don't really see it. The offense is just "go motion, run fast, immediately pass ball". Without the fastest of the fast (Hill/Waddle/Achane/Mostert), the whole thing sort of falls apart. 

5 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Probably word for word what Bengals and Chiefs feel about us

I'll grant you that the Bills continually fold in the playoffs, but they're actually incredibly good in November and December. I don't have their November/December record from the past four years in front of me, but it's elite. Josh Allen is also one of the best 4th quarter and crunch time QBs in the game by any metric.

Meanwhile, here's an article about how the Dolphins fold late in games and late in seasons.

I get what you're saying, but the Bills and Dolphins are not the same. Tua and Josh are not the same.

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2024/1/5/24026177/dolphins-bills-tua-tagovailoa-future-nfl-playoffs-afc-east

*edit: whoops. I had included the wrong article before. Fixed now.

Edited by Logic
  • Agree 4

makes sense since their roster is so offensively weighted.  

one of the dumbest things I think organizations do is invest a ton in personnel catered to a specific scheme or coach and then

make changes too quickly requiring a tear down and rebuild.

Edited by MikePJ76
  • Agree 1

He’s a talented offensive coordinator hamstrung by an overpaid, physically limited QB with 2 wins against playoff teams in 2 seasons. This guy isn’t HC material, it’s pretty obvious when watching him behind the scenes trying to interact with players, it’s hard to watch.

Like a previous poster stated, they probably felt they had no choice and because the salary doesn’t effect the cap, they can always eat the money and kick him to the curb at anytime.