Blue Jackets Johnny Gaudreau and brother Matthew dead in bike accident

BillsFanNC

3 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

"John Gaudreau, 31, and Matthew Gaudreau, 29, were riding their bikes north on County Route 551 in Oldmans Township on Thursday at 8:19 p.m. At the same time, Sean Higgins, 43, of Woodstown, New Jersey, was driving a Jeep Grand Cherokee north on County Route 551, according to investigators.

Higgins tried to pass two vehicles ahead of him and entered the southbound lanes, police said. An SUV in front of Higgins moved to the middle of the roadway, splitting the north and south lanes in order to safely pass the Gaudreau brothers as they rode they their bikes on the right side of the road, according to investigators."

51 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

It happened about 40 minutes after sunset. Did the bikes have lights??

The SUV clearly seen both of them, and moved over to give them room. The allegedly drunk driver tried to pass on the right.

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, QCity said:

The SUV clearly seen both of them, and moved over to give them room. The allegedly drunk driver tried to pass on the right.

Maybe... But bicycles should have lights.

YET... I hit a deer like that 2 years ago just past sunset. 

A vehicle slowed down... They obviously saw something, which I didn't process... I thought they were stopping at a house.  I wasn't going fast, but I didn't creep around... Maybe 10 to 15mph... 💥 deer ran right into driver's side front, deer turned around ran back and collapses dead on lawn.  $7,000 damage to truck. 

Point is, didn't even see what happened... I learned my lesson,  don't second guess the driver ahead of you, they see things drivers behind don't. 

Never in a million years did I have deer on my mind.  It was the Friday before the Bills playoff loss to Cincy @ home.

I wish the deer had lights!

Oh... I wasn't drunk.  Totally sober.  NOT distracted either  

If that deer was a bicycle(s) I would never lived it down.  Thank God it was 20°F & January!

Edited by ExiledInIllinois
  • Like (+1) 1

Probably played out dude was tailgatimg vehicle ahead. Went left to pass, then Vehicle ahead moved to center, azzzhole on tail thought they were "blocking" and picked the right (which is insane, never pass on right) thinking it was safer route to pass then the oncoming lanes... Then 💥,  because of the tailgating didn't see why vehicle ahead moved over.

...People are wicked aggressive out there... Especially back east.

Not exonerating driver, if they were drunk, totally inexcusable. Let's see what test results are.

So sad...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

"According to the probable cause affidavit, Higgins told police that he had five or six beers before the crash and had tried to go around the SUV on the right side after thinking the other vehicle was trying to block him from passing. He told police his drinking contributed to "his impatience and reckless driving." Higgins failed a field sobriety test, according to the affidavit."

To add more context, the driver was drinking and thought the SUV in front of him was deliberately blocking him from passing, so I would guess he was aggravated and aggressively attempted to pass on the right.

Terrible thing to happen, and to think the entire family was gathered together for a joyous occasion (wedding) today. Heartbreaking.

Edited by QCity
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, QCity said:

"According to the probable cause affidavit, Higgins told police that he had five or six beers before the crash and had tried to go around the SUV on the right side after thinking the other vehicle was trying to block him from passing. He told police his drinking contributed to "his impatience and reckless driving." Higgins failed a field sobriety test, according to the affidavit."

To add more context, the driver was drinking and though the SUV in front of him was deliberately blocking him from passing, so I would guess he was aggravated and aggressively attempted to pass on the right.

Terrible thing to happen, and to think the entire family was gathered together for a joyous occasion (wedding) today. Heartbreaking.

Yup... That was my first thought when reading the description.  Then couple that already effed-up decision making under the influence! JC! 

😟 

@QCity

Surprising in this day and age the drunk was that honest about the situation. He's gonna have to live with that forever!

The question is... 40 minutes after sunset, did bicycles have their lights on?  Again, NOT excusing the DUI... So many impatient drivers... Even my deer strike was a product of it... I was wondering why the guy ahead moved left and stopped. They saw deer and I didn't! I thought he was pulling up to a house, driveway... /smdh... But I also slowed and the deer darted for my headlights right into me. More like it hit me.  I would have definitely saw a properly lit bike  ahead of me!

Hopefully the family heals. 

I go back to NJ all the time to visit daughter. Even in that area of South Jersey... I am amazed how densely populated it is for a smaller, less spread out area... Always some aggravated driver on your azz morning, noon, & night!  Even out in the sticks!

Suburbanites do "block" too! Just an aggressive clustereff.  If they need to post road signs about it, then there's a problem!

As someone who logs over 5,000 miles a year cycling, I’m gonna keep what I really feel about this to myself, lest my big mouth gets me shown the door again.  

I’ll just say that next time you want to joke about turning a some cyclist just trying to get a ride in and do a workout into a hood ornament or throw some other kind of hate in our direction for even  the slightest infraction we committed on the open road, I ask that you remember tragedies like this.  

Edited by RkFast
  • Like (+1) 1

On 8/30/2024 at 9:45 AM, Another Fan said:

Horrible story.  When I read stuff like this I’m reminded life as precious no matter how much it can feel like it sucks at times.

And yeah Jersey drivers are the worst.  

I mean assuming this guy Sean has some decency in him he’s got to live with himself the rest of his life.

That should be punishment enough.  

No, jail time for the drunk driver should be punishment enough.

23 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Probably played out dude was tailgatimg vehicle ahead. Went left to pass, then Vehicle ahead moved to center, azzzhole on tail thought they were "blocking" and picked the right (which is insane, never pass on right) thinking it was safer route to pass then the oncoming lanes... Then 💥,  because of the tailgating didn't see why vehicle ahead moved over.

...People are wicked aggressive out there... Especially back east.

Not exonerating driver, if they were drunk, totally inexcusable. Let's see what test results are.

So sad...

I am sure this is exactly what happened. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 8/30/2024 at 12:45 PM, Another Fan said:

Horrible story.  When I read stuff like this I’m reminded life as precious no matter how much it can feel like it sucks at times.

And yeah Jersey drivers are the worst.  

I mean assuming this guy Sean has some decency in him he’s got to live with himself the rest of his life.

That should be punishment enough.  

No, he can think about it from his jail cell for the next 20 years. 

5-6 beers?!

20 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I read today that the drunk driver is/was employed as CFO of a substance abuse rehab facility.  Wow.

This is just such a horrible tragedy.  😢 

That does not surprise me at all. People who work in that field are very often there for a reason. 

• Agree 1

23 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

@QCity

Surprising in this day and age the drunk was that honest about the situation. He's gonna have to live with that forever!

The question is... 40 minutes after sunset, did bicycles have their lights on?  Again, NOT excusing the DUI... So many impatient drivers... Even my deer strike was a product of it... I was wondering why the guy ahead moved left and stopped. They saw deer and I didn't! I thought he was pulling up to a house, driveway... /smdh... But I also slowed and the deer darted for my headlights right into me. More like it hit me.  I would have definitely saw a properly lit bike  ahead of me!

Hopefully the family heals. 

It’s pretty well documented that I’m not a huge fan of bicyclists on the road but this is clearly a different situation.  If the bikes had lights they weren’t stopping a drunken idiot hell bent on passing to the point he was willing to pass on the right……and presumably at least partially on the shoulder….and presumably at high speed.  Drunks suck..  

• Like (+1) 1