Blue Jackets Johnny Gaudreau and brother Matthew dead in bike accident

BillsFanNC

2 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

It’s pretty well documented that I’m not a huge fan of bicyclists on the road but this is clearly a different situation.  If the bikes had lights they weren’t stopping a drunken idiot hell bent on passing to the point he was willing to pass on the right……and presumably at least partially on the shoulder….and presumably at high speed.  Drunks suck..  

But still.  70/30% if no lights on bicycles like the law requires. 

• Disagree 1

1 hour ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

This is one of those incidents where the DUI and the “bicycles on the road” are irrelevant.

Who in their right mind passes on the right on a two-lane road? That is insane.  

In New Jersey when some one is blocking them apparently.  The other vehicle moved into the left lane... So I guess the right lane was open?

11 minutes ago, QCity said:

Someone posted the location on social media if you are curious about the size of the road.

2L7LIqp.jpeg

Other vehicle must have vacated the right lane. Maybe he thought they were letting him pass? 

If the bikes were legal with proper lights and/or reflectors...  Why would they be on the road any other way after sunset, especially with drunks?

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

5 hours ago, Augie said:

That does not surprise me at all. People who work in that field are very often there for a reason. 

Too true. There was an incident in NYC on July 4 where a drunk substance abuse counselor killed/injured a bunch of people.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/3-dead-8-injured-addiction-counselor-accused-mowing-down-july-4-crowd-while-drunk-report

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

In New Jersey when some one is blocking them apparently.  The other vehicle moved into the left lane... So I guess the right lane was open?

maybe if this were a 4-lane road. This was a 2-lane road, with zero shoulder.
And the vehicle ahead supposedly just moved a few feet near the center.

There is no plausible explanation, IMO. He was trying something that was insanely reckless, even if there had been no bikes around.

• Agree 3

27 minutes ago, Gregg said:

Vehicular homicide in NJ carries a max sentence of 10 years per offense. So, in this case he is looking at 20 years.

Unless the drunk is a hockey player that stands to make millions... Then they get probation and can't drive over a 6 cylinder vehicle while staying under 70 mph.  Of course, in that situation nothing would be gained by imprisoning the drunk.

Re: See Dany Heatley

Honest mistake

From CBUS Dispatch:

A New Jersey man arrested in a suspected drunken-driving crash that killed Blue Jackets star forward Johnny Gaudreau and his brother Matthew Thursday night has been placed on leave from the addiction treatment facility where he works.

Gaudenzia, an addiction treatment company with centers in the northeast United States, confirmed in a Facebook post that Sean Higgens was an employee.

https://www.gaudenzia.org/

59 minutes ago, BuffaloBud said:

From CBUS Dispatch:

A New Jersey man arrested in a suspected drunken-driving crash that killed Blue Jackets star forward Johnny Gaudreau and his brother Matthew Thursday night has been placed on leave from the addiction treatment facility where he works.

Gaudenzia, an addiction treatment company with centers in the northeast United States, confirmed in a Facebook post that Sean Higgens was an employee.

https://www.gaudenzia.org/

On the bright side, probably why he fessed up right away... 

Just a thought... NOT passing judgements,  but learning from this whole mess:

IF I am ever the vehicle that was the one being passed... I am staying in my lane... That would have protected the bicyclists... Let the impatient driver pass me on the left, let them stick their neck out.  I probably would have slowed down behind the bikes and let him blow by me on left. THEN when everything was clear, get around the bicycles... I would have never got in left lane with someone riding my azz, bicycles in front or not.

I wonder how this will play out in court other than the drunk part. There seems a lot a good defense attorney could question.

Just saying... This could have easily happened with both drivers being sober. Aggressive driving is an epidemic.  

Edited by ExiledInIllinois
  • Agree 1

On 8/30/2024 at 9:28 AM, Gregg said:

He leaves behind his wife, Meredith, and two children Noa, 1, and Johnny, 6 months. 

meredith-gaudreau-johnny-gudreau-columbu

Absolutely terrible for his kids to grow up without a father due to a drunk idiot driver.

• Agree 2