Jessica Pegula US Open interview

djp14150

image.png.a6bc29bf02f2adb1e320ed7d7f484d4b.png

Jessica Pegula rallies for 3-set win to reach US Open final

https://www.espn.com/tennis/story/_/id/41142914/jessica-pegula-defeats-karolina-muchova-semifinals-reach-2024-us-open-final

Jessica Pegula shrugged off a sluggish start and came back from a set and a break down at the US Open to defeat Karolina Muchova 1-6, 6-4, 6-2 on Thursday night for a berth in her first Grand Slam final.

The No. 6-seeded Pegula, a 30-year-old from New York, has won 15 of her past 16 matches and will meet No. 2 Aryna Sabalenka for the title on Saturday.

Took Pegula a while to play that well Thursday, but once she got going, whoa, did she ever. All told, she collected nine of 11 games, a span that allowed her to not merely flip the second set but race to a 3-0 edge in the third.

Her nickname should be Comeback Queen.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, BigDingus said:

HOORAY! Now when people ask where I'm from, I'll say "born & raised in Buffalo - digitally!"

Believe it or not, "Dingus" is my last name, so from my point of view, the Polish spelled it wrong!

If your family spells Dingus the non-Polish (i.e. wrong) way, I can't blame you.  Maybe they Americanized it.  Dyngus Day is a real event in Buffalo.  Maybe not a "BIG THING," but still a thing.  

I think there should be test for people who want to become naturalized Buffalonians & mafia members...

• What is Dyngus Day?  
  • What was the Rockpile?
  • Where were Buffalo Wings invented?  
  • What condiment properly goes with wings?  
  • What does "Wide Right" mean to you?
  • What is "No Goal?"
  • What is the significance of "Ralph is Cheap?"
  • What was the "Hit 'Round the World?"
  • What is "Beef on Weck"?  

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Process said:

Sabalenka is on fire right now. Pegula likely doesn't have much of a chance, but just making the finals is a huge accomplishment. Hopefully she can pull the upset. 

Pegula is 2-2 against her on hard courts surface, so she does have a chance.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

1 minute ago, hondo in seattle said:

If your family spells Dingus the non-Polish (i.e. wrong) way, I can't blame you.  Maybe they Americanized it.  Dyngus Day is a real event in Buffalo.  Maybe not a "BIG THING," but still a thing.  

I think there should be test for people who want to become naturalized Buffalonians & mafia members...

• What is Dyngus Day?  
  • What was the Rockpile?
  • What is "No Goal?"

To be fair, Dyngus Day is primarily an east side and south buffalo tradition to my knowledge. I was born in North Buffalo and was absolutely inundated with almost exclusively Italian cultural celebrations.

Even in the north towns later in childhood, where MANY people are Polish, I don't recall Dyngus Day being much of a thing. Maybe I was sheltered. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Parent watching child in non team sport has to be ROUGH. Watching mine on team sport is super stressful. Kudos Little Pegs. Keeping after it!!

they really do stumble on her whole “New York” thing…

Edited by Since1981
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Huge comeback! That Muchova didn’t give up! 

Sabalenka is a beast though; not sure how Jessica wins in the final, but I will be rooting for her! 

Fair concern... but Jess did beat Iga and has beaten Sabalenka before.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

Fair concern... but Jess did beat Iga and has beaten Sabalenka before.  

Their final in Cincinnati went three sets. Jess will have a chance if she plays like she did the last 2 sets. She’s the underdog though 

Greatest Comeback in Sports since the Houston Oilers game!!!:D

That was super fun and exciting to watch and a bit exhausting because I was flipping back and forth between the match and the football game

Congratulations to Jessie Pegula for advancing to her first US Open Championship...as Marv would say there's one more river to cross 

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

• What is Dyngus Day?  
  • What was the Rockpile?
  • What is "No Goal?"

Dyngus day is still big in parts of Buffalo 

Still one of the most Polish cities in the country with the surrounding suburbs

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 2

https://www.wtatennis.com/videos/4087839/rivalry-rewind-sabalenka-and-pegula-s-top-shots-over-the-years

Rivalry Rewind: Sabalenka and Pegula's top shots over the years

As Aryna Sabalenka and Jessica Pegula square off for the seventh time in the Cincinnati Open, we look back at some of the best strikes from their rivalry.

https://www.wtatennis.com/videos/4106678/rivalry-record-the-best-of-iga-swiatek-vs-jessica-pegula

Rivalry Record: The best of Iga Swiatek vs. Jessica Pegula

Iga Swiatek and Jessica Pegula will play for the 10th time in the US Open quarterfinals; Swiatek leads the head-to-head 6-3. Watch their best points from the 2019 Washington second round, 2022 Miami semifinals, 2022 San Diego semifinals, 2023 Doha final, 2023 Montreal semifinals and 2023 WTA Finals Cancun final here.

If she wins no one can say honestly she had easy path.

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Process said:

Sabalenka is on fire right now. Pegula likely doesn't have much of a chance, but just making the finals is a huge accomplishment. Hopefully she can pull the upset. 

I watch a LOT of tennis and I also play it. If you are in a match with a player that is more or less on your level, you have more than a chance. Aryna is my favorite women's player (I love players that never saw a ball that they didn't want to take the cover off of), but she can have trouble closing out matches. She was up a set and two breaks on Iga in Cincinnati and almost choked that away. Jess just needs to play consistent Tennis and let Sabalenka implode. Also, Jess absorbs pace well. It should be a good match.

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Wow lost set 6-1 to unranked player 

Unranked only because she was out 9 months with an injury. She is a top 10 talent. 

Great grit and determination by Jess tonight. I watched the whole thing on my iPad with the football game on the big screen. 

She did Buffalo proud. 

• Like (+1) 3