Jessica Pegula US Open interview

djp14150

One step closer to the SF Pegula claims the first set 6-2 over the world No.1!

Explain significance - US Open only?  Never played tennis (eyesight does not allow) and no interest in watching on TV.

The set took 36 minutes to complete and saw Swiatek commit 18 unforced errors.

18 unforced errors?   That makes it sound like Pegula did nothing to cause Swiatek to commit errors.

• Haha (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Punching Bag said:

Explain significance - US Open only?  Never played tennis (eyesight does not allow) and no interest in watching on TV.

18 unforced errors?   That makes it sound like Pegula did nothing to cause Swiatek to commit errors.

Tennis is a psychological battle between two players. Unforced error only means that a player hit a ball out or into the net that they should have made. But the other player has everything to do with it. BTW, tennis has 4 Super Bowls a year; the Australian Open, French Open (Roland Garros), Wimbledon, and the US Open. This is the farthest Jess has made it in any of them, and she got there by beating the #1 player in the world. Good Stuff. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 4

On 9/2/2024 at 6:20 PM, Augie said:

So, my DTV Streaming is apparently having one of those little contract snits with anything Disney. That means no ESPN/ABC or US Open. I learned this as I tried to tune in to see Jess play at noon.  I went to a local bar to watch and have a beef on weck. They don’t have Disney either so no tennis, and they just sold the last roll of weck. I struck out. 😢 

People here are more worried about maybe missing FSU tonight. College football rules here. 

I still have DTV too and also pay for ESPN plus.  The streaming version, I can still get a lot of the feeds from the open.  The main ones are blocked but still can get others.  Not sure how or why. 

4 hours ago, Einstein said:

That’s an interesting question. Do you all consider her a Buffalonian? From what I understand she was born in Buffalo but spent that vast majority of her life in Pennsylvania and Florida. 

Tomato,  tomato.  All in good fun!

4 hours ago, Einstein said:

I’m not sure parents owning a business makes you a Buffalonian.

If that’s the case then she is a Pennsylvanian as her parents owned a business there for far longer.

How many combined hours do I have to spend on TBD to become a Buffalonian?

Between this board & the OG BBMB, I've been working at it diligently since I was 15! That was 20 years ago! Can I be a Buffalonian yet?!

• Haha (+1) 1

https://www.espn.com/tennis/story/_/id/41127557/jessica-pegula-upsets-iga-swiatek-reach-2024-us-open-semifinals

"There have been so many freaking times, and I just kept losing," Pegula told the crowd. "I know everyone keeps asking me about it, but I was like, 'I don't know what else to do. I just need to get there again and, like, win the match.' So thank God I was able to do it. And finally -- finally! -- I can say, 'Semifinalist.'"

Sounds like Bills.

Swiatek didn't hide her thoughts that well. She smacked her racket against the top of the net. She slapped her right thigh after a forehand flew wide to get broken yet again and trail 4-3 in the second set. Fifteen minutes later, it was over.

"It's never easy to play against Jess," Swiatek said. "She has a tricky ball because it's pretty low and pretty flat. I just made too many mistakes."

Again sounds like Bills until they broke their bad streak.

Pegula entered the day as the only player inside the WTA's top 10 who hadn't reached a major semifinal; 0-6 in her career in Slam quarterfinals, she was one loss shy of the worst major quarterfinal record by any woman in the Open era, shared by three players (0-7).

8 hours ago, BigDingus said:

How many combined hours do I have to spend on TBD to become a Buffalonian?

Between this board & the OG BBMB, I've been working at it diligently since I was 15! That was 20 years ago! Can I be a Buffalonian yet?!

I think you've earned it.  And you've even named yourself after a Buffalo (Polish) holiday.  

On the other hand, you spelled dyngus wrong.  So I don't know.  

• Haha (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

I think you've earned it.  And you've even named yourself after a Buffalo (Polish) holiday.  

On the other hand, you spelled dyngus wrong.  So I don't know.  

HOORAY! Now when people ask where I'm from, I'll say "born & raised in Buffalo - digitally!"

Believe it or not, "Dingus" is my last name, so from my point of view, the Polish spelled it wrong!

2 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

Oh I know how they spell it, but who's to say the Polish aren't just dummies who can't spell as well as the Scottish? 

My last name is Scottish btw, so maybe I'm just cooler! Then again, it's a ridiculous last name to begin with so... 😂

I'm polish and my last name ends in ski.  That's because we can't spell tobbogan.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

Oh I know how they spell it, but who's to say the Polish aren't just dummies who can't spell as well as the Scottish? 

My last name is Scottish btw, so maybe I'm just cooler! Then again, it's a ridiculous last name to begin with so... 😂

Name spelling is important but it wasn't for people who worked at Ellis Island.

The name Dingus is a Scottish surname that may have originated from the language of Viking settlers in medieval Scotland. It may have been derived from the Old English word dingle, which means "valley" or "hollow". The name may also have originated from the Dutch word dinges and the German word ding, which both mean "thing".

My name is spelled differently depending on where it came from but unfortunately these days people make up spelling of names to be unique hence why so many odd spellings for NFL players.