Jessica Pegula US Open interview

djp14150

4 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

I'm not a tennis guy but it seem to this amateur that Jess has been playing well lately, the disappointments at the Olympics and Wimbledon not withstanding.  She won in Berlin and Toronto.  She made the finals in Cinci.  And she's had a great run so far in the US Open that included a win over Iga in straight sets.  She's won 15 out of her last 16 matches.  

And isn't Jess 2-2 against Sabalenka on hard courts?  

This should be a closely contested match and I'm not counting Jess out.  

Buffalo isn't cursed.  We can win.  

I hope she does well but I just don't understand how she is Buffalo 

She plays in an individual sport and her father owns the bills which she supports because her father owns them

Before Terry bought the sabres nobody in Buffalo knew who they were..Terry was not a part of the Buffalo community

Tons of people knew the gronkowski family, and kane family and the mcduffies... Tons of people grew up with Joe andreessen.. locals know them 

Nobody knew who the pegulas were till he bought sabres 

I'm super glad Terry bought the teams and I hope he has a long healthy life and his daughter wins many tournaments but neither were raised or lived here

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Eyeroll 1

10 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

She plays in an individual sport and her father owns the bills which she supports because her father owns them

Whether she wins or loses I don't think has anything to do with a curse on Buffalo 

Before Terry bought the sabres nobody in Buffalo knew who they were..Terry was not a part of the Buffalo community

Isn't Terry from Olean? It's that WNY enough?

Edit: Nope. Try was born in Carbondale PA. But he did live in Olean.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

34 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Isn't Terry from Olean? It's that WNY enough?

Edit: Nope. Try was born in Carbondale PA. But he did live in Olean.

For sure he's definitely not far from the area 

But before he bought the sabres nobody in the community knew who he was.. he didn't invest in the community... And when I say community I mean Buffalo and the inner/outer ring Suburbs

He's the king of Buffalo now because he owns multiple sports franchises and has invested in the city.. all good things

But it's not like he was active in the Buffalo community before he bought the sabres... He wasn't 

I'm very glad Terry bought the franchises.. and I hope his daughter has a lot of success... But when I think of local.. I think of the gronkowskis , the mcduffies, kanes... Macks, Now andreeson 

There are tons of people all around buffalo and the burbs who grew up with them and went to school with them and have amazing stories of them growing up in the area

Nobody knew who the pegulas where in Buffalo till Terry bought sabres and they definitely didn't grow up around the city or burbs 

Edited by Buffalo716

34 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Tons of people knew the gronkowski family, and kane family and the mcduffies... Tons of people grew up with Joe andreessen.. locals know them 

Nobody knew who the pegulas were till he bought sabres 

She was born in Buffalo.  Her dad used to live  in WNY and began his gas & oil empire there.  Her family owns the Bills, Sabres, and Bandits.  Jess used to co-own a restaurant in Buffalo.  She often gives Bills fans shoutouts.  I count her as a Buffalonian.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4

12 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

She was born in Buffalo.  Her dad used to live  in WNY and began his gas & oil empire there.  Her family owns the Bills, Sabres, and Bandits.  Jess used to co-own a restaurant in Buffalo.  She often gives Bills fans shoutouts.  I count her as a Buffalonian.  

She also defines her hometown as Buffalo. That has to count for something if she herself defines herself from here. 

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

Those are all fine sentiments.. but I think people who are buffalonions have people in Buffalo who grew up with them 

I know it says she was born in Buffalo on Wikipedia but I think that was like a passerby birth... Terry was living in olean/Pennsylvania.. Kim was from Rochester.. and even Rochester is Western New York, but buffalonions don't consider it buffalo

Jessica was not raised here or went to school here... Nobody in cheektowaga Buffalo Amherst williamsville grew up with her 

Garret Gilbert is an NFL quarterback who was born in Buffalo... Cuz his father was our backup... But he was raised in Texas and nobody considers him a buffalonion

The gronkowskis, macks , mcduffies , Kane, now andreeson family all have roots in the Buffalo area and plenty of people have stories and memories of growing up with them 

Again I'm very thankful for Terry and I hope Jessica has much success but growing up in Buffalo is part of being a Buffalonion to most here 

Their family has embraced Buffalo and buffalo has embraced them but nobody from that family has ever lived here

9 minutes ago, JP51 said:

She also defines her hometown as Buffalo. That has to count for something if she herself defines herself from here. 

As I just said Garrett Gilbert the NFL quarterback is from Buffalo also 

Because his father was our backup..  

Nobody considers Garrett Gilbert in Buffalo a Buffalonion.. 

Edited by Buffalo716

43 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Nobody knew who the pegulas where in Buffalo till Terry bought sabres and they definitely didn't grow up around the city or burbs 

I mean, speak for yourself. I went to school with one of the kids, I knew them. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

1 minute ago, pigpen65 said:

I mean, speak for yourself. I went to school with one of the kids, I knew them. 

In Buffalo proper? Buffalo or one of the inner or outer ring suburbs?

Or in Olean?

If you went to school with one of their kids in Hamburg I will retract everything

By no accounts have I ever heard any of their kids going to school in Buffalo 

Olean isn't Buffalo 

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Buffalo716 said:

In Buffalo proper? Buffalo or one of the inner or outer ring suburbs?

Or in Olean?

If you went to school with one of their kids in Hamburg I will retract everything that would be clearly local

Anyone who gatekeeps this hard isn't a true Buffalonian. You're a fraud.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

Just now, QCity said:

Anyone who gatekeeps this hard isn't a true Buffalonian. You're a fraud.

There's a lot of gatekeeping in Buffalo buddy 

It's a very proud City

And I never said one bad thing about pagula or his daughter.. 

I said I wish them all the best and I'm glad he bought the team 

But Terry pegula and his kids did not grow up in Buffalo or its suburbs  those were the only statements I made 

I did say I am very grateful and I hope she does well

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

It's a very proud City

But Terry pegula and his kids did not grow up in Buffalo or its suburbs  those were the only statements I made 

That definitely sounds like what someone born out of state would say.

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

It's a very proud City

Hey Buffalo 716, we all GET it already, can you DROP it? 

Are you the self  anointed Buffalo Gatekeeper?

• Haha (+1) 3

10 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Those are all fine sentiments.. but I think people who are buffalonions have people in Buffalo who grew up with them 

I know it says she was born in Buffalo on Wikipedia but I think that was like a passerby birth... Terry was living in olean/Pennsylvania.. Kim was from Rochester.. and even Rochester is Western New York, but buffalonions don't consider it buffalo

Jessica was not raised here or went to school here... Nobody in cheektowaga Buffalo Amherst williamsville grew up with her 

Garret Gilbert is an NFL quarterback who was born in Buffalo... Cuz his father was our backup... But he was raised in Texas and nobody considers him a buffalonion

The gronkowskis, macks , mcduffies , Kane, now andreeson family all have roots in the Buffalo area and plenty of people have stories and memories of growing up with them 

Again I'm very thankful for Terry and I hope Jessica has much success but growing up in Buffalo is part of being a Buffalonion to most here 

Their family has embraced Buffalo and buffalo has embraced them but nobody from that family has ever lived here

Jessica’s husband also went to Williamsville North and Canisius.  Do you think he accepts her as a Buffalonian enough?  What is good enough for the City of Good Neighbors?  

https://people.com/who-is-taylor-gahagen-jessica-pegula-husband-7853530

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, QCity said:

Hilarious.  Yeah, I'm not quite sure what point he's trying to make or prove.  The Pegulas are "all in" on Buffalo and why somebody needs to pick nits about how much time they did or didn't spend here growing up is an odd crusade.

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

As an aside... I worked with his mother Kim so I remember her pregnant with Garrett and coming in in a bassinette as a baby...  anyways, I digress... and agree that he is not counted as a Buffalonian  however if Garrett had ties here, spent a ton of time here, businesses here, married someone from here and identified his home town as Buffalo I would say the we would be remiss to tell him that he couldn't do that and we wouldn't count him as one of our own... but... we all have our own definitions so there it is... anyways I just hope she wins it al ... 

Edited by JP51
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

14 minutes ago, JP51 said:

As an aside... I worked with his mother Kim so I remember her pregnant with Garrett and coming in in a bassinette as a baby...  anyways, I digress... and agree that he is not counted as a Buffalonian  however if Garrett had ties here, spent a ton of time here, businesses here, married someone from here and identified his home town as Buffalo I would say the we would be remiss to tell him that he couldn't do that and we wouldn't count him as one of our own... but... we all have our own definitions so there it is... anyways I just hope she wins it al ... 

Terry and his family are absolutely a part of this community forever 

And we are all very thankful... I have never said that was not the case 

I just said that Buffalonion usually means raised here... They have spent a lot of money, help the community, and they seem to be very kind people 

I will be forever grateful to Terry and his family and yes I am rooting for her and yes I will agree with you 

19 minutes ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

Jessica’s husband also went to Williamsville North and Canisius.  Do you think he accepts her as a Buffalonian enough?  What is good enough for the City of Good Neighbors?  

https://people.com/who-is-taylor-gahagen-jessica-pegula-husband-7853530

I have already submitted to you guys 

All I said was to me a Buffalonion was someone who was raised here...

They have ties to Western New York and have done plenty good for the community and I am grateful to Terry and his family 

So yes I will retract..  I wasn't trying to be mean I was just trying to say how families like the gronkowskis have been here for generations

19 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Hey Buffalo 716, we all GET it already, can you DROP it? 

Are you the self  anointed Buffalo Gatekeeper?

I wasn't trying to be mean and all of your points are valid 

They are linked with Buffalo now forever..  I'm very grateful for their family

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, QCity said:

Well I could tell you that most of this site is not living in Buffalo or from here but I still do 

I still have my family house on the east side

47 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Comparing her to Garrett Gilbert is a stretch.  Jess wasn't just born here.  Her family owns Buffalo's major sport franchises.  With her sister, Jess chose to open a restaurant in Buffalo because she's still tied to the area.  

As far as I know, Garret hasn't had on ongoing relationship with the city.  Jess has, and still does.  

Garret has an one night stand with the city.  Jess has a marriage.