Jessica Pegula US Open interview

djp14150

19 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

Congrats to Jessica and Pegula family!

Pretty big deal to make the finals.  If you believe in Omens, maybe this could be a magic season for us

Until she predictably loses in the championship match. Which is more likely than not, given the favorite's form lately. So not super disappointing for Jess Pegula in particular, after busting through several persistent ceilings this tournament; an ominously familiar brand of disappointment for Buffalo fans in general, however. 

If Pegula somehow wins a major title the night before the Bills season opener, you better believe that would provide a boost to the organization. 

• Vomit 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Dislike 1

4 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

Until she predictably loses in the championship match. Which is more likely than not, given the favorite's form lately. So not super disappointing for Jess Pegula in particular, after busting through several persistent ceilings this tournament; an ominously familiar brand of disappointment for Buffalo fans in general, however. 

Dude.

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 7

6 minutes ago, Low Positive said:

I watch a LOT of tennis and I also play it. If you are in a match with a player that is more or less on your level, you have more than a chance. Aryna is my favorite women's player (I love players that never saw a ball that they didn't want to take the cover off of), but she can have trouble closing out matches. She was up a set and two breaks on Iga in Cincinnati and almost choked that away. Jess just needs to play consistent Tennis and let Sabalenka implode. Also, Jess absorbs pace well. It should be a good match.

I didn't mean to cause a stir. And yea I agree, saying she doesn't have much of a chance was too strong. 

She'll be a pretty big underdog, and will need some help from Sabalenka, who is prone to unforced errors and very capable of beating herself. 

But Jess absolutely can win. 

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, eball said:

Unranked only because she was out 9 months with an injury. She is a top 10 talent. 

Great grit and determination by Jess tonight. I watched the whole thing on my iPad with the football game on the big screen. 

She did Buffalo proud. 

Don't confuse him with facts.

3 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

If Pegula somehow wins a major title the night before the Bills season opener, you better believe that would provide a boost to the organization. 

Her opponent is -270 to win so we should curb our enthusiasm.  If she does win though maybe Coleman does learn to separate. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

I was going to post something like your last statement but decided not to jinx anything.

8 hours ago, Low Positive said:

I watch a LOT of tennis and I also play it. If you are in a match with a player that is more or less on your level, you have more than a chance. Aryna is my favorite women's player (I love players that never saw a ball that they didn't want to take the cover off of), but she can have trouble closing out matches. She was up a set and two breaks on Iga in Cincinnati and almost choked that away. Jess just needs to play consistent Tennis and let Sabalenka implode. Also, Jess absorbs pace well. It should be a good match.

Consistent is JP's game. She isn't going to blow anyone away with precision line shots or hit a lot of aces. I agree she absorbs pace very well. She just has to let Sabalenka make the errors as she did after Muchova was blowing her out of the stadium for the first 9 games yesterday 

I remember when some fans were saying that Jessica Pegula was just a rich girl pretending to be a pro tennis player. Glad she proved all the doubters wrong. Her rise to elite status has been pretty cool to watch.

• Like (+1) 9
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Since1981 said:

I’d like to see bills fans in Open stands with oversized labatts. Tennis world could use a little more beer

Part of the problem with Open is corporate owned lower bowl seats and many of them were empty during match according to photos taken.

58 minutes ago, Since1981 said:

I’d like to see bills fans in Open stands with oversized labatts. Tennis world could use a little more beer

My daughter made a last minute decision, got tix and went last night.  She wore a Bills hat and said she got a number of 'Go Bills!' from other fans.  At the end of the first set I jokingly texted maybe she should take the hat off 😛

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, stevewin said:

My daughter made a last minute decision, got tix and went last night.  She wore a Bills hat and said she got a number of 'Go Bills!' from other fans.  At the end of the first set I jokingly texted maybe she should take the hat off 😛

If would have been very appropriate if she was wearing a Frank Reich jersey.

• Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, Low Positive said:

I really love Sabalenka too. But agree that she can be rattled. 

I'm not a tennis guy but it seem to this amateur that Jess has been playing well lately, the disappointments at the Olympics and Wimbledon not withstanding.  She won in Berlin and Toronto.  She made the finals in Cinci.  And she's had a great run so far in the US Open that included a win over Iga in straight sets.  She's won 15 out of her last 16 matches.  

And isn't Jess 2-2 against Sabalenka on hard courts?  

This should be a closely contested match and I'm not counting Jess out.  

Buffalo isn't cursed.  We can win.  

Edited by hondo in seattle
  • Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

I'm not a tennis guy but it seem to this amateur that Jess has been playing well lately, the disappointments at the Olympics and Wimbledon not withstanding.  She won in Berlin in Toronto.  She made the finals in Cinci.  And she's had a great run so far in the US Open that included a win over Iga in straight sets.  She's won 15 out of her last 16 matches.  

And isn't Jess 2-2 against Sabalenka on hard courts?  

This should be a closely contested match and I'm not counting Jess out.  

Buffalo isn't cursed.  We can win.  

There is a bit of a home field advantage, here. I think that JPEG lives in Manhattan.

The crowd was behind her, and I expect a repeat of that, for the championship.

That was a pretty gutsy comeback, last night!

Edited by BUFFALOBART
  • Like (+1) 2

Just now, BUFFALOBART said:

There is a bit of a home field advantage, here. I think that JPEG lives in Manhattan.

The crowd was behind her, and I expect a repeat of that, for the championship.

There’s no doubt the crowd will be heavily backing Jess.  Sabalenka will

be really tough to beat, but would be an amazing moment if Pegula can pull off the upset.

• Like (+1) 2