Jessica Pegula US Open interview

djp14150

Just now, djp14150 said:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.espn.com/core/video/iframe/_/id/41044943/endcard/false" allowfullscreen frameborder="0"></iframe>

Very cryptic interview.  I didn’t understand any of it.

Edited by 4merper4mer
  • Haha (+1) 1

I watched it live, and I LOVED it!  BTW, she won in straight sets yesterday to advance to the third round. 

I have no idea what might have been cryptic about it. 🤷‍♂️

• Like (+1) 4

11 minutes ago, Augie said:

I watched it live, and I LOVED it!  BTW, she won in straight sets yesterday to advance to the third round. 

I think it was her quote about endcards and being false  

For those who don't follow Jessica, she had injuries at the beginning of the year but has come on strong since.  She won the Berlin Ladies Open as well as the Canadian Open (for the second consecutive year) and made it to the finals of the Cincinatti Open.  

Currently ranked #6 (off a peak of #3), she's won something like 8 of her last 9 matches against top ten opponents but has yet to win a Grand Slam and, at the age of 30, her window may be closing. 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, hondo in seattle said:

For those who don't follow Jessica, she had injuries at the beginning of the year but has come on strong since.  She won the Berlin Ladies Open as well as the Canadian Open (for the second consecutive year) and made it to the finals of the Cincinatti Open.  

Currently ranked #6 (off a peak of #3), she's won something like 8 of her last 9 matches against top ten opponents but has yet to win a Grand Slam and, at the age of 30, her window may be closing. 

Good recap.

So basically she’s a Buffalo gal, wins A lot but hasn’t won the big one.  Sounds on brand.

Go Jess!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 8
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

3 minutes ago, zow2 said:

Good recap.

So basically she’s a Buffalo gal, wins A lot but hasn’t won the big one.  Sounds on brand.

Go Jess!

Sadly, this is exactly true.

Woman's tennis doesn't have just one 'Super Bowl' each year, they have four: the US, French, and Australian Opens -  and Wimbledon.  Jess has won lesser events but, despite her talent, zero Super Bowl type competitions.

Just like the Bills.  And the Sabres. 

But another Pegula owned team, the Buffalo Bandits, has won six championships.  So we do  have that.

• Awesome! (+1) 2

2 hours ago, yall said:

Jessica Pegula is 640w x 360h?

Man that's an odd build, especially for a tennis player.

Tough to paint the lines on her....

1 hour ago, hondo in seattle said:

Remember the snarky remarks that she was just a little rich girl with a hobby? Yeah, that all looks pretty silly and ignorant now. She is a world class athlete and could not be where she is without incredible work ethic. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 9
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 8/30/2024 at 1:22 PM, Augie said:

Remember the snarky remarks that she was just a little rich girl with a hobby? Yeah, that all looks pretty silly and ignorant now. She is a world class athlete and could not be where she is without incredible work ethic. 

I recall those remarks from a few years ago even at that point she had won over $1 million bucks and some "savants" on this board belittling her.  Last time I looked she was well over $10 million.

Edited by RoyBatty is alive
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

9 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

I recall those remarks from a few years ago even at that point she had won over $1 million bucks and some "savanas" on this board belittling her.  Last time I looked she was well over $10 million.

Some people just live to tear others down. I feel pretty confident that most of the snide commentary came from internet warriors who have accomplished FAR less in their lives. 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

Her best chance to win a grand slam is the hard surface of the US Open.

Hard surfaces suit her game the best.

I don't see her winning on clay (French open) or Grass (Wimbledon)

1 hour ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

Her best chance to win a grand slam is the hard surface of the US Open.

Hard surfaces suit her game the best.

I don't see her winning on clay (French open) or Grass (Wimbledon)

She could win in Australia…..and nobody would notice. :)

If she’s going to get a Major, she had best do it soon. She’s a decade older than Coco Gauff, her doubles partner.  Regardless, a fantastic career. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1

Great career /. Did it all on her own.  came up from nothing through the merciless "what have you done for me lately" world of pro tennis rankings.   all the kudos in the world to her.   f all the detractors.   winning majors and super bowls does not define a career or a team.  thats folks letting the sports media click baiters tell them what to value. 

Edited by ProcessTruster
  • Like (+1) 2

On 8/30/2024 at 8:47 AM, Augie said:

I think what was cryptic about it is also….cryptic