NFL feeding itself to the sharks (Private Equity)

1 minute ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

Not with a new stadium being built.   Maybe with that extra cash flow, Terry would have put a dome on the new stadium?

Luckily the County owns the new stadium so the private equity firms cant Red Lobster us.

• Like (+1) 4

6 minutes ago, T.E. said:

Honest question - what about the NFL now is objectively better than it was in the pre-Goodell era?

You mean other than the product, the safety of the players, the ratings, and the league's overall popularity?

• Like (+1) 6
  • Haha (+1) 3

18 minutes ago, T.E. said:

Honest question - what about the NFL now is objectively better than it was in the pre-Goodell era?

Popularity is at an all time high. The entire nation is shoveling money toward the NFL. Players get paid way more. Coaches get paid way more. Owners make way more money. The game is safer.

I'm struggling to think of what's worse.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

NFL teams aren't that profitable, at least not to the level most venture capitalists look for. But they increase in value rapidly. So you won't see that big payoff until a team sells. Do I have that right?

1 hour ago, BarleyNY said:

Yup. For now……

The camel's nose is slipping into the tent.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, MJS said:

Popularity is at an all time high. The entire nation is shoveling money toward the NFL. Players get paid way more. Coaches get paid way more. Owners make way more money. The game is safer.

I'm struggling to think of what's worse.

I'm old and dumb but wise enough to know my feelings about the league are a symptom of my age. I do get misty eyed for the way things were, but when I was a kid there were middle aged men like me who got misty eyed for the days of Lombardi and Namath. 

Sometimes I hook up my laptop to an old TV set and bring up videos of the NFL from the 80s on YouTube. I sit and watch them in my too small A Team pjs and then call my mom and ask her to bring me another cookie. Then my wife tells me to get off my ass and get one myself, and to stop calling her mom because that's weird.

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

NFL teams aren't that profitable, at least not to the level most venture capitalists look for. But the increase in value rapidly. So you won't see that big payoff until a team sells. Do I have that right?

i don't think so, not exactly

after salaries and operations spending is accounted and you add in revenue teamsare probably clearing $75-$100M once the NFL sends over the TV deal check

i think they like the fact that it basically runs itself...yes there are bigger returns to be made but I doubt you'll find much easier, it's very attractive investment imo

the nfl prints

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

NFL teams aren't that profitable, at least not to the level most venture capitalists look for. But the increase in value rapidly. So you won't see that big payoff until a team sells. Do I have that right?

The camel's nose is slipping into the tent.

Yes, that’ll probably be the way it works initially. Once owners get a taste of PE money they’ll want more and more of it. 10% is only the beginning. I wonder which team the Saudi Wealth Fund will get a chunk of. 

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

Great idea!  One of the companies I used to work at was sold to VCs:

They managed to kill a 100 year old company in only 2 years.  Survived Spanish flu, both world wars, Great Depression, Great Recession, etc. , but was no match for arrogant morons with a few large bank loans (that they eventually defaulted on....)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1