Metamorphosis year

They knew they needed a Wr.  They had their pick after Thomas.  I think Coleman is going to surprise many.  This pre season when starters were on the field Coleman was on the field.  When Buffalo was 3 wide Coleman was on the field.  When Buffalo was 2 wide Coleman was on the field.  They are telling you he is the starter.  With all the targets gone from Diggs, Davis, Harty and Sherfield Coleman is going to get a-lot of volume.  Allen likes him.  The team likes him.  I think Coleman quickly becomes a star.  That happens the questions at Wr evaporates.  

I don’t care about your opinions but I seen at least 4 people ask and you still haven’t answered… what is so obvious about Douglas not wanting to be here. I’ve seen nothing to indicate that. 

also you contradict yourself. On one hand you say get rid of all the players that don’t want to be here. If any player was supposedly obviously not wanting to be here that would be Diggs, not Douglas. Yet you mad they traded Diggs. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1

27 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

I don’t care about your opinions but I seen at least 4 people ask and you still haven’t answered… what is so obvious about Douglas not wanting to be here. I’ve seen nothing to indicate that. 

also you contradict yourself. On one hand you say get rid of all the players that don’t want to be here. If any player was supposedly obviously not wanting to be here that would be Diggs, not Douglas. Yet you mad they traded Diggs. 

Some people are just naturally mad it seems. 🤷‍♂️

This is definitely a transition year for the Bills. They are getting younger and cheaper and they have the 60+ million dead cap to prove it.

However, just because they are getting younger and cheaper doesn't mean an end of their contending window and it also doesn't mean the roster is less talented, just less experienced.  

Despite the transition, the vast majority of the starters on offense and defense that lead the Bills to their 7-2 record down the stretch return.  That team had 6 new starters with 2 years or less of NFL experience (Cook, Kincaid, Shakir, Torrence, Benford and Bernard).  All 6 were good to great last season.

This year we again have 6 new starters, except only 2 (D. Williams and Keon Coleman) have 2 years or less of NFL experience.

The new starters on offense are WR Curtis Samuel,  G David Edwards and WR Keon Coleman (R). Samuel has played in 91 NFL games with 58 starts over 7 NFL seasons.  Edwards has 70 games of NFL experience with 45 starts over 5 seasons.  In fact, while with the Rams, Edwards started 45 of his 53.  

The new starters on defense are DE AJ Epenesa, LB Dorian Williams, and as of yet un-determined FS.  Epenesa has 58 games of experience all with Buffalo with 4 starts and will likely rotate with a finally healthy Von Miller and his 173 games (161 starts) of experience.  The FS battle is coming down to Hamlin and probably veteran Mike Edwards depending on who is healthy.  Edwards has 75 games of experience (28 starts) over 5 seasons and Hamlin has 34 games of experience including 13 games as a starter before his injury all with the Bills.  Hamlin had 91 tackles including 63 solos in 2022 when he started 13 games.  

The real youth on this team is the depth behind the starters. 10 2024 draftees or UDFAs made the roster.  However most of the those kids will be earning their stripes playing special teams.  The Bills have solid vets at RB (Johnson), WR (Hollins, MVS), TE (Knox), DE (Miller, Smoot, Toohill), DT (Johnson), S (Edwards, Hamlin, Lewis), and LB (Morrow).  The depth areas populated with kids are OL and CB.  

Ultimately, I see no reason this team can't duplicate last years 11-6 record and again win the AFC East.  This is not some over the hill gang or a rebuild with kids starting everywhere.  This is a team with a MVP caliber QB and good to excellent and experienced players at nearly every position.  

For those lamenting all the lost vets, I ask you which vet that left town remained a player in their prime?  White, Hyde, and Poyer were all shadows of their former selves.  Diggs play slipped significantly mid-season. Davis was often injured, and like Diggs, his effectiveness suffered.  Floyd has a great first half and then was mostly ineffective in the 2nd half.  That leaves Morse.  He was solid as always last season, but at 32 is it really surprising that Beane moved on.  

Edited by GASabresIUFan
  • Like (+1) 3

On 8/29/2024 at 3:14 PM, folz said:

This post isn't pessimistic, or "realist" talk, it is delusional. Feels like you are just making stuff up.

1. 2024 has already been and will continue to be a year of change for the Bills franchise.

This is the only point of agreement I have with you. Then you went off the rails.

2.  Like it or not, 2024 is lost.

Why? We still have an elite QB, plenty of weapons, a solid defense. It may take them a little time to get on their feet with the changes and injuries, but there is no reason this team can't still win the division and make a playoff run. If we can enter the playoffs somewhat healthy, we'll be better than the team that limped into the playoffs last year.

3. We got rid of our best non-QB offensive weapon.

I loved Diggs and what he brought to the team his first three years here. But at the end of last season, not only did he not want to be here (something you said later in your post that we need to get rid of...guys who don't want to be here), and was causing issues in the locker room, but worse, on the field, over the last 10 games, including the playoffs, he averaged 42 yards per game. And he had one total touchdown over those 10 games. Not an average of 1 TD per game, but only ONE TD over 10 games. His catch percentage over those games was a miserable 67%. He was dropping balls and fumbled in the playoff game. Whether it was age, injury, bitterness, or all of the above, he was no longer our best offensive weapon. Kincaid, Shakir, and Cook had all surpassed him in stats and effectiveness. And if it wasn't age or injury, then that means he kind of quit on the team. That isn't leadership.

4. We decided to get rid of leadership anywhere and everywhere we could.

This is a bit disingenuous. They didn't just toss leaders aside for no reason. Due to age/health, it was time to move on from Poyer, Hyde, Morse, Tre. Maybe Poyer could have given us one or two more years, but better to move on early than late. Morse was a great leader, but never the most stout center up the middle. So, there is a reason for trying something different there too (not to mention his number of concussions). This happens to teams, older leaders age out and new, young leaders need to step up. That's the NFL. Plus, as I noted above, I don't think you can include Diggs in the leadership department. He was fiery and competitive, but not a true leader (Though he wasn't competitive enough to try hard down the stretch last year---I guess it's just when it suits him).

5. We have a coach that prefers defense to offense

This is a fallacy that keeps getting repeated. What is your evidence for this? You do realize that over the last four years, the Bills are 2nd in yards, 2nd in scoring, 2nd in overall wins, 1st in total TDs scored, 1st in points/game, and 1st in 3rd down conversions. Yeah, McDermott really stifles the offense, huh?

I recently made a post about our drafting (in regards to offense vs. defense). We have drafted more offensive players than defensive players overall under Beane. In fact, outside of round one, we have the same number or more offensive players selected in every other round. As far as round one goes, it is 4 defensive players to 2 offensive players. But if you include the #1 that was given up for Diggs, then it is 3 offensive players to 4 defensive players. So, the absolute most you can say about our drafting (per GoBills808 in the linked thread) is that the the total weighted value of all of our picks favors the defense (because of those 4 #1 defensive picks---but again, that doesn't weigh in the picks given up for Diggs, which would make things almost even).

So, please explain to me how/why McD prefers defense to offense, other than he is a defensive head coach. Where has that hurt our offense to this point? Where are the facts to back your statement up?

6. opted for ineptitude at OC for this year. An off season hiring of a real OC, not a puppet.

How or why is Brady inept and a puppet? This is just a ridiculous statement. We did better under him than Dorsey last year (that was when we made our run) and he is respected in the league. A lot of people talked about him as an upcoming coach before he got to Buffalo. We haven't even seen what his offense will really look like (now that he had a full-offseason to plan it out and install it). He has had 9 games as OC for the Bills using someone else's system. We went 7-2 in those games and averaged 27.11 points/game. Our two losses were both by 3 points and one of those was in OT. How are you so sure that he is inept?

7. There are clearly players still on the roster that either shouldn’t be, or who the coaches would prefer off.

Who? This statement is so out of left field. First of all, Beane and McDermott have shown that they can cut bait with players when they need to. Secondly, even if a guy isn't as good as you might want, you don't drop them until you have better. But, honestly, who specifically are you talking about?

8. McDermott fully realizing complementary football doesn’t simply mean a nerfed and vanilla offense.

As the offensive stats show above, we have hardly been a vanilla offense over the last 5 years. Plus, where have we struggled? Late in the year when the weather turns bad and we go up against a stronger, bully-like team (KC/Cinn). Maybe, just maybe, having a strong run game will allow us to still compete when our passing game is struggling or allow us to close out games where we have the lead. Plus, our receivers aren't smurfs anymore that can get manhandled in the playoffs. And who is to say having a better run game, or a more even split makes the offense vanilla. Maybe it will help to open things up for the passing game.

9. Apparently some our our leaders and their styles hurt the feelings of some snowflakes so Diggs, Morse, Tre, Poyer, and more are gone.

Obviously, you are solely talking about Diggs here. Morse, Tre, and Poyer had good relationships with Josh and the coaches. And as a fan, none of them ever did anything to make me think they weren't good leaders. So, this is all about Diggs again. And didn't he do the same thing in Minnesota? Maybe it's Diggs and not Josh, Sean, the Bills fanbase, Cousins, Zimmer, etc. A true leader remains a leader in tough times. They are not selfish. They do not quit on their team. They try to work things out, not foster ill will. As I said before, Diggs was competitive (when he felt like it), but he is definitely not a true leader, despite being voted captain.

10. the amount of respect for Josh around the league is slim to none,  I wonder how much of that stems from his lack of seriousness.

First of all, I do not think this is true. Just because we get an occasional article with someone saying he's overrated? Besides, what does that have to do with anything? Josh has been battling disrespect since he was in high school. And it doesn't matter what anyone thinks of him, it only matters what he does for our team. Yes, there has been some talk about him stepping up his leadership, and I think that will be easier with Diggs gone. But Josh is who he is. You take the good with the bad. And I'd rather root for a guy that is having fun playing the sport and with his teammates than some dick like Brady.

11. McDermott either deciding to simply get rid of players he doesn’t like or deciding to live with them. back handed compliments

Again, what are you talking about? I think for the most part McD is very fair in his pressers. He doesn't praise a lot because he doesn't want guys to get complacent. And sometimes he says something to motivate a guy. But it's not like he is continually throwing guys under the bus or something. And which players did he get rid of because he didn't like (or living with them despite his dislike). I'm not saying there aren't guys he doesn't like or doesn't want to improve on...but with 90+ players at times, or even the 69 that they will carry into the year, you aren't going to like or gel with everyone. But you make this sound like it is something constant and obvious. Who are these players that McD doesn't like? Let me guess, Diggs.

12. Let players that clearly don’t want to be here walk,  I’m not sure why Douglas doesn’t want to be here but it’s pretty obvious.  

Like Diggs? And what makes you think Rasul doesn't want to be here? I haven't seen anything at all. He seemed pretty happy to be here at the end of last year. Where are these obvious signs that you are seeing? It really feels like you are just making stuff up.

13. goofball leadership...Dawkins and Knox...don’t appear to take winning seriously.

I assume you aren't speaking of just Dawkins and Knox, but also Josh. First of all, I don't think that Knox has ever been considered a leader on the team (he's never been a captain or overly vocal). And Dawkins is definitely a quirky guy, but that's just his personality. Please give me examples of them not taking winning seriously. Where is that coming from? Just because they like to make jokes in the locker room or because Dion uses cliches and metaphors in his interviews? Do you just want everyone on the team to be stoic all the time? One of the reasons guys like being in Buffalo is because Sean allows them to be themselves, show their personalities. Again, I have a feeling this is more about Josh for you. I guess you think that Josh needs to be more of a dick like Brady was. Well, I'd rather not root for a guy like that. And similar to coaching. The tough guy coach that yells and screams all the time isn't always successful (Gregg Williams types), while guys like Dick Vermeil who cries after winning a Super Bowl because he's so happy for his players can be successful. Josh doesn't have to treat his teammates poorly to be a great QB. Let them have fun! I think it's more fun for the fans if the players are having fun. And look around the league. Just for one example, Mahomes and Kelce are both goofballs, hasn't seemed to hurt them.

Wow, please ignore me when I indulge myself with a fact-free, purely cathartic post like the OP's (which I actually enjoyed). Eek. 

8 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

@4merper4mer you put a disagree mark on my post yet you still havent answered the question you were asked 5 times now.  Lazy posting bro. If you are going to post your opinions and make statements as fact then you need to back them up.

Shirley you can’t be serious about this?  Douglas, a vocal leader with GB, at first expressed shock at being traded.  Since then it has basically been crickets.  His entire personality has changed.  I haven’t seen any serious talk about an extension.  He hasn’t played badly but when you heart isn’t in something, you don’t get your best results.  He’s biding his time until he can walk.  

• Disagree 1

6 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Shirley you can’t be serious about this?  Douglas, a vocal leader with GB, at first expressed shock at being traded.  Since then it has basically been crickets.  His entire personality has changed.  I haven’t seen any serious talk about an extension.  He hasn’t played badly but when you heart isn’t in something, you don’t get your best results.  He’s biding his time until he can walk.  

Wow! Thanks for the insight. I didn’t realize you guys were that close. When did you first meet him? 

1 hour ago, 4merper4mer said:

It must be sad to need attention this much

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

Thats all you got? Guy was playing well on a team and he is shocked he got traded? I'd be shocked too.  So what if its crickets. Guy is doing his job. Do you think he has been doing a bad job? Thats all that matters.  I agree about heart but if his heart wasnt in it then I think it would show on the field. It hasn't.

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/29/2024 at 2:10 PM, 4merper4mer said:

Von Miller isn’t a cap drain?  Departed players aren’t sucking up our cap room?  Those aren’t facts?

Miller won't be a "cap drain" if he can recover most of his pre-injury form.    If the Bills had cut him, he'd be a bigger cap drain and there would be absolutely no possibility of mitigating his cap hit with good play.

On 8/29/2024 at 9:27 PM, 4merper4mer said:

Not the way I meant it.  I meant unproven and I hope they prove it.

If you meant "unproven", then why didn't you just write that?   "Questionable" means that someone/something has been tested and found to be lacking in some way.

6 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Miller won't be a "cap drain" if he can recover most of his pre-injury form.    If the Bills had cut him, he'd be a bigger cap drain and there would be absolutely no possibility of mitigating his cap hit with good play.

If you meant "unproven", then why didn't you just write that?   "Questionable" means that someone/something has been tested and found to be lacking in some way.

Nobody would be a cap drain if they performed miracles.  Miller has been an incredibly poor investment.  It can be argued he cost us Tre White and Mitch Morse and we’ve received nothing in return.  But sure, maybe.  Maybe you’ll hit Powerball 26 times in a row too.

Questionable means unknown.  The root of questionable is “question”.  The word you defined above is “substandard”.  I didn’t use that word.  You needn’t look farther than the weekly injury report.  Sometimes questionable guys play and sometimes they don’t.  

Disagree with me if you wish.  Fine.  That’s the whole idea of opinions on a message board.  Don't get SOTeary eyed about it and put words in my mouth.

• Awesome! (+1) 1