Metamorphosis year

I am optimistic about this season. Many of the issues the OP mentions are endemic to many NFL teams. In 2023, the Bills avg age was 4th highest in the league. This year, the Bills are tied for 11th. Both the Fins and Jets have higher average team age in ‘24 than the Bills.

9 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Von Miller isn’t a cap drain?  Departed players aren’t sucking up our cap room?  Those aren’t facts?

From your post: “questionable on field leadership and a weak offensive philosophy to flourish now is unrealistic.”

We don’t know who will step up as leaders, and I’d like to at least SEE the offense before declaring that the offensive philosophy is weak. THOSE are not facts, they are your (predictable) opinions about something that hasn’t even happened yet. 

It’s a new year, for the Bills and every other team. I’ll wait and see. 

Edited by Augie
  • Thank you (+1) 2

4 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

We got rid of our best non-QB offensive weapon

We decided to get rid of leadership anywhere and everywhere we could 

We’re still saddled with useless players on ridiculous contracts and/or paying off cap hits from departed players

We have a coach that prefers defense to offense and as such opted for ineptitude at OC for this year

There are clearly players still on the roster that either shouldn’t be, or who the coaches would prefer off

Given all of the above, it is silly to expect much from 2024.  The big question is how it will position us for 2025 and beyond.  Below are what I’d like to see happen in and after 2024 to help position us for 2025.  They are not in order of importance really.  Most or all will need to happen.

1. McDermott fully realizing complementary football doesn’t simply mean a nerfed and vanilla offense letting the defense get more rest during the year, but also allows for situational strategy and games where we are high octane.  
2. An off season hiring of a real OC, not a puppet.

3. Bye Bye Von.  Take your big talk with you.

4. Apparently some our our leaders and their styles hurt the feelings of some snowflakes so Diggs, Morse, Tre, Poyer, and more are gone.  Emergence of new leaders and new leadership styles is a must.  If you’re going to get rid of a player like Diggs because he hurt some feelings, you’re going to learn the easy way or the hard way, that sometimes hurt feelings are necessary.  You simply can’t have a bunch of “fun” leaders.  Josh or someone will need to fill that void as the team navigates the turbulence inevitable in any season.  Based on recent press disclosures, the amount of respect for Josh around the league is slim to none,  I wonder how much of that stems from his lack of seriousness.  Rousseau is no longer everyone’s understudy.  Now is his time.  Who will be the others?
5. Like #1 but different……McDermott either deciding to simply get rid of players he doesn’t like or deciding to live with them.  No more trying to play the middle with back handed compliments like the ones he throws at James Cook for example.  You can’t change everyone,  Either roll with them or don’t.  
6. Let players that clearly don’t want to be here walk,  I’m not sure why Douglas doesn’t want to be here but it’s pretty obvious.  
7. Be objective and clear the decks of traveling hospital wards like Milano even if they were great while they were here.

8. Ditch enablers to the goofball leadership style even if they are decent players.  Get something for them.  I really like Dawkins and Knox as players and think they are underrated but they also don’t appear to take winning seriously.  There is too much of that in the locker room.

9. Beane’s accurate assessment of all of the above as 2024 plays out.  The cap stuff will be mostly gone moving into next year.  Does he go right after it in 2025 or is it time for a major re-set?  No more a little bit of both.

I really agree with 50% of what you said, and totally disagree with 50% of what you said.

As far as what I bolded above:

Diggs.  I think he is slowing down big time. Now, CAN he have a big statistical year if they force feed him the ball in Houston? I suppose, but I think he went from a top 5 receiver to 'just another guy' over the course of the last 2 years.

Getting rid of leadership?  Yeah, probably. But a lot of those 'leaders' have seriously slowed down.  Both of the safeties last year were 1-2 steps to slow to make plays, and they aren't/weren't going to be any better this year. Diggs, see above.

-Von?  He's stuck here with that contract.  I'm hoping (wishing) he is recovered and has one last 'above average' year in him.  But yeah, mostly because of the injury signing him was a mistake in hindsight.

-Milano?  If he could stay healthy he is a top 10 linebacker in the league, maybe a top 50 overall Defensive player in the league (that is saying a lot considering there are close to 350 defensive starters in the league. But, he A.) can't stay healthy.  B.)  he is getting older and with those injuries, his athleticism is likely going to be taking a hit when he is on the field.

• Disagree 1

15 minutes ago, Augie said:

From your post: “questionable on field leadership and a weak offensive philosophy to flourish now is unrealistic.”

We don’t know who will step up as leaders, and I’d like to at least SEE the offense before declaring that the offensive philosophy is weak. THOSE are not facts, they are your (predictable) opinions about something that hasn’t even happened yet. 

It’s a new year, for the Bills and every other team. I’ll wait and see. 

Well the Miller comment and the departing cap space are facts correct?

I called the leadership “questionable”.  That’s a fact.  I didn’t “none”, “devoid” or “lacking”.  Do you think there is sufficient “proven” leadership?

And sure you can say the comment on Brady’s offense is opinion.  It is opinion.  Anything is possible and maybe Brady will reverse his track record AND McD will allow him to take off the training wheels.  At least it’s more likely than Rich Kotite making a comeback and winning the Super Bowl.  So we’ve got that going for us.

• Disagree 1

2 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

I'd be very leery of allowing the opinions of players whose likely sole interaction w Allen is shaking his hand after the game color my opinion of his leadership abilities

If it was one guy like Jalen Ramsey then 100%.  But the entire league voted him the most overrated player.  Personally, I don’t agree at all but I’m not on the field seeing what these guys are seeing.

5 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

If it was one guy like Jalen Ramsey then 100%.  But the entire league voted him the most overrated player.  Personally, I don’t agree at all but I’m not on the field seeing what these guys are seeing.

You realize that a significant percentage of NFL players are borderline morons who can't put together a coherent five-sentence paragraph, right?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, dave mcbride said:

You realize that a significant percentage of NFL players are borderline morons who can't put together a coherent five-sentence paragraph, right?

…and some of them probably don’t like getting trucked or hurdled by a QB. 

This may be one of those things where you love it when “that guy” is “your guy.” My college basketball team has had some guys who would have pissed me off….if they were on the other team. But we LOVED them! 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

It’s pretty clear to anyone with an objective pair of eyes that 2024 has already been and will continue to be a year of change for the Bills franchise.  Even whe setting aside the looming new stadium and other topics beyond players and coaches, massive change is clearly afoot.  

We’ve been a good team for the last few years, we have the number one building block needed for an NFL team, a QB with elite skills, but our first roster build around that QB failed, and we will see where our second build leads, but……this year is neither,  it’s the change year.  Like it or not, 2024 is lost.  Because:

We’re still saddled with useless players on ridiculous contracts and/or paying off cap hits from departed players

We have a coach that prefers defense to offense and as such opted for ineptitude at OC for this year

There are clearly players still on the roster that either shouldn’t be, or who the coaches would prefer off

Brother... we had the best roster in the NFL for 2 years (13 seconds year and year after). Our coach failed us... not the roster the two are not the same..

You need a really really serious reality check. 

6 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

It’s pretty clear to anyone with an objective pair of eyes that 2024 has already been and will continue to be a year of change for the Bills franchise.  Even whe setting aside the looming new stadium and other topics beyond players and coaches, massive change is clearly afoot.  

We’ve been a good team for the last few years, we have the number one building block needed for an NFL team, a QB with elite skills, but our first roster build around that QB failed, and we will see where our second build leads, but……this year is neither,  it’s the change year.  Like it or not, 2024 is lost.  Because:

Given all of the above, it is silly to expect much from 2024.  The big question is how it will position us for 2025 and beyond.  Below are what I’d like to see happen in and after 2024 to help position us for 2025.  They are not in order of importance really.  Most or all will need to happen.

1. McDermott fully realizing complementary football doesn’t simply mean a nerfed and vanilla offense letting the defense get more rest during the year, but also allows for situational strategy and games where we are high octane.  

4. Apparently some our our leaders and their styles hurt the feelings of some snowflakes so Diggs, Morse, Tre, Poyer, and more are gone.  Emergence of new leaders and new leadership styles is a must.  If you’re going to get rid of a player like Diggs because he hurt some feelings, you’re going to learn the easy way or the hard way, that sometimes hurt feelings are necessary.  You simply can’t have a bunch of “fun” leaders.  Josh or someone will need to fill that void as the team navigates the turbulence inevitable in any season.  Based on recent press disclosures, the amount of respect for Josh around the league is slim to none,  I wonder how much of that stems from his lack of seriousness.  Rousseau is no longer everyone’s understudy.  Now is his time.  Who will be the others?
5. Like #1 but different……McDermott either deciding to simply get rid of players he doesn’t like or deciding to live with them.  No more trying to play the middle with back handed compliments like the ones he throws at James Cook for example.  You can’t change everyone,  Either roll with them or don’t.  
6. Let players that clearly don’t want to be here walk,  I’m not sure why Douglas doesn’t want to be here but it’s pretty obvious.  
7. Be objective and clear the decks of traveling hospital wards like Milano even if they were great while they were here.

8. Ditch enablers to the goofball leadership style even if they are decent players.  Get something for them.  I really like Dawkins and Knox as players and think they are underrated but they also don’t appear to take winning seriously.  There is too much of that in the locker room.

9. Beane’s accurate assessment of all of the above as 2024 plays out.  The cap stuff will be mostly gone moving into next year.  Does he go right after it in 2025 or is it time for a major re-set?  No more a little bit of both.

2024 is a metamorphoses year.  We will emerge in 2025.  Are we in a cocoon this year so we’ll emerge an ugly moth or are we in a chrysalis so we can emerge a beautiful butterfly?   We’re about to find out.

This post isn't pessimistic, or "realist" talk, it is delusional. Feels like you are just making stuff up.

1. 2024 has already been and will continue to be a year of change for the Bills franchise.

This is the only point of agreement I have with you. Then you went off the rails.

2.  Like it or not, 2024 is lost.

Why? We still have an elite QB, plenty of weapons, a solid defense. It may take them a little time to get on their feet with the changes and injuries, but there is no reason this team can't still win the division and make a playoff run. If we can enter the playoffs somewhat healthy, we'll be better than the team that limped into the playoffs last year.

3. We got rid of our best non-QB offensive weapon.

I loved Diggs and what he brought to the team his first three years here. But at the end of last season, not only did he not want to be here (something you said later in your post that we need to get rid of...guys who don't want to be here), and was causing issues in the locker room, but worse, on the field, over the last 10 games, including the playoffs, he averaged 42 yards per game. And he had one total touchdown over those 10 games. Not an average of 1 TD per game, but only ONE TD over 10 games. His catch percentage over those games was a miserable 67%. He was dropping balls and fumbled in the playoff game. Whether it was age, injury, bitterness, or all of the above, he was no longer our best offensive weapon. Kincaid, Shakir, and Cook had all surpassed him in stats and effectiveness. And if it wasn't age or injury, then that means he kind of quit on the team. That isn't leadership.

4. We decided to get rid of leadership anywhere and everywhere we could.

This is a bit disingenuous. They didn't just toss leaders aside for no reason. Due to age/health, it was time to move on from Poyer, Hyde, Morse, Tre. Maybe Poyer could have given us one or two more years, but better to move on early than late. Morse was a great leader, but never the most stout center up the middle. So, there is a reason for trying something different there too (not to mention his number of concussions). This happens to teams, older leaders age out and new, young leaders need to step up. That's the NFL. Plus, as I noted above, I don't think you can include Diggs in the leadership department. He was fiery and competitive, but not a true leader (Though he wasn't competitive enough to try hard down the stretch last year---I guess it's just when it suits him).

5. We have a coach that prefers defense to offense

This is a fallacy that keeps getting repeated. What is your evidence for this? You do realize that over the last four years, the Bills are 2nd in yards, 2nd in scoring, 2nd in overall wins, 1st in total TDs scored, 1st in points/game, and 1st in 3rd down conversions. Yeah, McDermott really stifles the offense, huh?

I recently made a post about our drafting (in regards to offense vs. defense). We have drafted more offensive players than defensive players overall under Beane. In fact, outside of round one, we have the same number or more offensive players selected in every other round. As far as round one goes, it is 4 defensive players to 2 offensive players. But if you include the #1 that was given up for Diggs, then it is 3 offensive players to 4 defensive players. So, the absolute most you can say about our drafting (per GoBills808 in the linked thread) is that the the total weighted value of all of our picks favors the defense (because of those 4 #1 defensive picks---but again, that doesn't weigh in the picks given up for Diggs, which would make things almost even).

So, please explain to me how/why McD prefers defense to offense, other than he is a defensive head coach. Where has that hurt our offense to this point? Where are the facts to back your statement up?

6. opted for ineptitude at OC for this year. An off season hiring of a real OC, not a puppet.

How or why is Brady inept and a puppet? This is just a ridiculous statement. We did better under him than Dorsey last year (that was when we made our run) and he is respected in the league. A lot of people talked about him as an upcoming coach before he got to Buffalo. We haven't even seen what his offense will really look like (now that he had a full-offseason to plan it out and install it). He has had 9 games as OC for the Bills using someone else's system. We went 7-2 in those games and averaged 27.11 points/game. Our two losses were both by 3 points and one of those was in OT. How are you so sure that he is inept?

7. There are clearly players still on the roster that either shouldn’t be, or who the coaches would prefer off.

Who? This statement is so out of left field. First of all, Beane and McDermott have shown that they can cut bait with players when they need to. Secondly, even if a guy isn't as good as you might want, you don't drop them until you have better. But, honestly, who specifically are you talking about?

8. McDermott fully realizing complementary football doesn’t simply mean a nerfed and vanilla offense.

As the offensive stats show above, we have hardly been a vanilla offense over the last 5 years. Plus, where have we struggled? Late in the year when the weather turns bad and we go up against a stronger, bully-like team (KC/Cinn). Maybe, just maybe, having a strong run game will allow us to still compete when our passing game is struggling or allow us to close out games where we have the lead. Plus, our receivers aren't smurfs anymore that can get manhandled in the playoffs. And who is to say having a better run game, or a more even split makes the offense vanilla. Maybe it will help to open things up for the passing game.

9. Apparently some our our leaders and their styles hurt the feelings of some snowflakes so Diggs, Morse, Tre, Poyer, and more are gone.

Obviously, you are solely talking about Diggs here. Morse, Tre, and Poyer had good relationships with Josh and the coaches. And as a fan, none of them ever did anything to make me think they weren't good leaders. So, this is all about Diggs again. And didn't he do the same thing in Minnesota? Maybe it's Diggs and not Josh, Sean, the Bills fanbase, Cousins, Zimmer, etc. A true leader remains a leader in tough times. They are not selfish. They do not quit on their team. They try to work things out, not foster ill will. As I said before, Diggs was competitive (when he felt like it), but he is definitely not a true leader, despite being voted captain.

10. the amount of respect for Josh around the league is slim to none,  I wonder how much of that stems from his lack of seriousness.

First of all, I do not think this is true. Just because we get an occasional article with someone saying he's overrated? Besides, what does that have to do with anything? Josh has been battling disrespect since he was in high school. And it doesn't matter what anyone thinks of him, it only matters what he does for our team. Yes, there has been some talk about him stepping up his leadership, and I think that will be easier with Diggs gone. But Josh is who he is. You take the good with the bad. And I'd rather root for a guy that is having fun playing the sport and with his teammates than some dick like Brady.

11. McDermott either deciding to simply get rid of players he doesn’t like or deciding to live with them. back handed compliments

Again, what are you talking about? I think for the most part McD is very fair in his pressers. He doesn't praise a lot because he doesn't want guys to get complacent. And sometimes he says something to motivate a guy. But it's not like he is continually throwing guys under the bus or something. And which players did he get rid of because he didn't like (or living with them despite his dislike). I'm not saying there aren't guys he doesn't like or doesn't want to improve on...but with 90+ players at times, or even the 69 that they will carry into the year, you aren't going to like or gel with everyone. But you make this sound like it is something constant and obvious. Who are these players that McD doesn't like? Let me guess, Diggs.

12. Let players that clearly don’t want to be here walk,  I’m not sure why Douglas doesn’t want to be here but it’s pretty obvious.  

Like Diggs? And what makes you think Rasul doesn't want to be here? I haven't seen anything at all. He seemed pretty happy to be here at the end of last year. Where are these obvious signs that you are seeing? It really feels like you are just making stuff up.

13. goofball leadership...Dawkins and Knox...don’t appear to take winning seriously.

I assume you aren't speaking of just Dawkins and Knox, but also Josh. First of all, I don't think that Knox has ever been considered a leader on the team (he's never been a captain or overly vocal). And Dawkins is definitely a quirky guy, but that's just his personality. Please give me examples of them not taking winning seriously. Where is that coming from? Just because they like to make jokes in the locker room or because Dion uses cliches and metaphors in his interviews? Do you just want everyone on the team to be stoic all the time? One of the reasons guys like being in Buffalo is because Sean allows them to be themselves, show their personalities. Again, I have a feeling this is more about Josh for you. I guess you think that Josh needs to be more of a dick like Brady was. Well, I'd rather not root for a guy like that. And similar to coaching. The tough guy coach that yells and screams all the time isn't always successful (Gregg Williams types), while guys like Dick Vermeil who cries after winning a Super Bowl because he's so happy for his players can be successful. Josh doesn't have to treat his teammates poorly to be a great QB. Let them have fun! I think it's more fun for the fans if the players are having fun. And look around the league. Just for one example, Mahomes and Kelce are both goofballs, hasn't seemed to hurt them.

Edited by folz
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

2024 is a metamorphoses year.  We will emerge in 2025.  Are we in a cocoon this year so we’ll emerge an ugly moth or are we in a chrysalis so we can emerge a beautiful butterfly?   We’re about to find out.

nice try.

57-20 since 2017 simply does not lie 

this team is freakin great

go bills 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, 4merper4mer said:

That's not how the recent ESPN poll worked. They had their team reporters ask as many players as they could find. A couple of them who were given the assignment were talking about it on Around the Horn.

It was not some official document that went to all players. It was whichever guys some beat reporters could muster up and wanted to talk with the goal of filling offseason dead air.

edit: Found the source

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/41001234/nfl-patrick-mahomes-lamar-jackson-caleb-williams-quarterbacks-ranking

103 NFL players answer six burning questions about quarterbacks

103. Not even 10% of the players. "The entire league" lol

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

McDermott is not going to hire anyone that brings in fresh ideas and does things their own way. That’s why so many hires have been from within. Even if Brady (or another coordinator) fails, it’ll be more of the same. He’ll just hire another coordinator to do things his way. There won’t be any metamorphosis until we have a new HC. That likely means a new GM too. Until then, things will be done McDermotts way. 

"Likely means a new GM"?  Why do people let Beane off scottfree?  The cap problems lie squarely in Beane's lap.  He has Diggs stink all over him, from extension to trade.   When Beane traded Diggs, this was his plan?  Really?  Pretty much nothing - we were all expecting a WR early to replace G Davis.

And now the alleged "metamorphosis" is going on with an incomplete WR room.   Who do you blame for not drafting 2 WRs?

• Eyeroll 2

1 hour ago, 4merper4mer said:

Ahem.  There were 100 players polled and 11 voted for Josh as the most overrated QB.  

So let’s say we take active 53 man rosters only x 32  = 1696 players.

So 100/1596 = 5.6% of the total players that were polled.  

And 11/100 voted for Josh.  Or 0.6% of total active players.

Yep, that’s the entire league all right…

6 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

"Likely means a new GM"?  Why do people let Beane off scottfree?  The cap problems lie squarely in Beane's lap.  He has Diggs stink all over him, from extension to trade.   When Beane traded Diggs, this was his plan?  Really?  Pretty much nothing - we were all expecting a WR early to replace G Davis.

And now the alleged "metamorphosis" is going on with an incomplete WR room.   Who do you blame for not drafting 2 WRs?

Yep should have drafted that Franklin kid.  Just because he’s like #5 on the Broncos list of WRs doesn’t mean he wouldn’t be #1 here.

• Like (+1) 1