Metamorphosis year

28 minutes ago, The Firebaugh Kid said:

…..that level of pessimism…. must be exhausting. 

It’s actually optimism mostly.  Just not for 2024.  After 2024 I think Beane will have a good feel for next steps.  Expecting a team with big holes, salary cap vortices like Von Miller and departed players, questionable on field leadership and a weak offensive philosophy to flourish now is unrealistic.  Realizing this is not pessimism.

• Eyeroll 1

12 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

We have an elite QB and a strong defense. 

it all comes down to execution in the playoffs. We can easily win the SB this year if we make a few more plays than the other teams in the playoffs.

Elite QB physically.  At times he shows up to games unprepared.  He is clearly not respected around the league.  Is that a lack of leadership?  He needs to become a leader or show that he already is a leader.  To date he has seemed to be sensitive to criticism and had his best weapon shipped off to Houston.

Strong defense?  We might but the brains are gone.  I have high hopes for Rousseau 2024 edition.  I love Oliver.  After that we’ll see.

Have to make the playoffs before executing in the playoffs.  It’s not unreasonable but it’s not forgone.

• Vomit 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

It's super obvious Douglass doesn't want to be here? IDK about that. He played gret last year and if he continues his excellent play he'll be in line for a huge contract... why wouldn't you want to play for a team that gets a ton of prime time games and allowed you to shine during his limited time here.

I also don't know if anyone except Diggs really annoyed the higher ups. Morse, Poyer and Tre were all cap related and you could tell they wanted to keep Tre White but due to injuries and his contract they couldn't. Even if Diggs is still a good player getting a 2nd rounder may be a great outcome for the Bills. It's one of those old Patriot moves: Better to move on a year too early than a year too late

• Like (+1) 2

36 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

It’s actually optimism mostly.  Just not for 2024.  After 2024 I think Beane will have a good feel for next steps.  Expecting a team with big holes, salary cap vortices like Von Miller and departed players, questionable on field leadership and a weak offensive philosophy to flourish now is unrealistic.  Realizing this is not pessimism.

You are making leaps in judgement, not presenting facts. 

The offense got much younger.  Coleman, Shakir, Kincaid and Cook are the top playmakers.  All on rookie deals.  Buffalo got younger in flash and Vegas still favors Buffalo to win the division.  Allen is going to have a year better than 2020.  I think Buffalo is slept on nationally and will be a very balanced team come January.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I’m not going to respond to all of the OP’s points one by one. I think some have varying degrees of truth to them while others are pretty far off the mark. I am confused by the OP’s “metamorphosis” comment though. Yes, there is an ongoing jettisoning of veterans. But the other things he talks about aren’t happening. So where’s the butterfly? That’s the thing about a metamorphosis, it’s a development into something better. While often necessary, simply swapping out older players for younger ones isn’t necessarily a path to getting better or becoming something different and new. 

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Elite QB physically.  At times he shows up to games unprepared.  He is clearly not respected around the league.  Is that a lack of leadership?  He needs to become a leader or show that he already is a leader.  To date he has seemed to be sensitive to criticism and had his best weapon shipped off to Houston.

Strong defense?  We might but the brains are gone.  I have high hopes for Rousseau 2024 edition.  I love Oliver.  After that we’ll see.

Have to make the playoffs before executing in the playoffs.  It’s not unreasonable but it’s not forgone.

I'd be very leery of allowing the opinions of players whose likely sole interaction w Allen is shaking his hand after the game color my opinion of his leadership abilities

Just now, BarleyNY said:

I’m not going to respond to all of the OP’s points one by one. I think some have varying degrees of truth to them while others are pretty far off the mark. I am confused by the OP’s “metamorphosis” comment though. Yes, there is an ongoing jettisoning of veterans. But the other things he talks about aren’t happening. So where’s the butterfly? That’s the thing about a metamorphosis, it’s a development into something better. While often necessary, simply swapping out older players for younger ones isn’t necessarily a path to getting better or becoming something different and new. 

I mean I do believe we are in for a fairly significant change in offensive philosophy

22 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

I mean I do believe we are in for a fairly significant change in offensive philosophy

Really? I don’t think it’ll be all that different compared to what it looked like under Brady last season. Schemes always get tweaked from year to year, adjustments need to be made for changing personnel and Brady will have a chance to put more of himself into the scheme, but I doubt we see a whole new, more beautiful animal. 

Edited by BarleyNY

16 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Really? I don’t think it’ll be all that different compared to what it looked like under Brady last season. Schemes always get tweaked from year to year, adjustments need to be made for changing personnel and Brady will have a chance to put more of himself into the scheme, but I doubt we see a whole new, more beautiful animal. 

I don't think it's going to be more beautiful 😂😂

• Haha (+1) 1

Is this an obvious transition year?....of course it is.  I've never been a McDermott fan and probably never will but I'm willing to appreciate him allowing his OC/DC to run things this season. With lost leadership went older players that due to diminished production had to go. For Von it's put up or shut up.  Our kicker and wr room will be a major concern all year and there's no one to blame but themselves. If we can't keep the defense healthy going into the playoffs,  it's all moot anyway. 

1 hour ago, BarleyNY said:

When Brady fails I’m hopeful McD will realize he needs a real OC that will bring his own offensive philosophy.  Heretofore the focus has been on the offense not putting the defense behind some perceived eight ball.  

1 minute ago, 4merper4mer said:

When Brady fails I’m hopeful McD will realize he needs a real OC that will bring his own offensive philosophy.  Heretofore the focus has been on the offense not putting the defense behind some perceived eight ball.  

McDermott is not going to hire anyone that brings in fresh ideas and does things their own way. That’s why so many hires have been from within. Even if Brady (or another coordinator) fails, it’ll be more of the same. He’ll just hire another coordinator to do things his way. There won’t be any metamorphosis until we have a new HC. That likely means a new GM too. Until then, things will be done McDermotts way. 

All ya got to do is see the thread starters name and you darn well know what’s coming, a fire hose of “everything sucks according to his opinion and we need to fire EVERYONE “. lol, all I can say is I hope former performer feels better now, 🤣

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1