Metamorphosis year

9 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

Perhaps his production went down just as we got a new and clueless OC that deemphasized him?

And for the record I’m not defending Diggs; I’m lamenting the fact that we had a viable stable of weapons and now we do not.  Diggs has been made public enemy number one for no realistic reason.  Did he play a role in the diminishment of our offense?  Sure.  But so did McD, Beane, Brady, Allen and more.  Our offense is weaker.  That’s the bottom line.

You are absolutely defending Diggs. Not only in this thread but in others too. I don't agree that the Bills had to put up with his tiring act. 

I do agree that the overall roster is much weaker than last year. The mistake was not in trading Diggs, it was in not finding equivalent or better ones to replace him 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Fan in Chicago said:

You are absolutely defending Diggs. Not only in this thread but in others too. I don't agree that the Bills had to put up with his tiring act. 

I do agree that the overall roster is much weaker than last year. The mistake was not in trading Diggs, it was in not finding equivalent or better ones to replace him 

The ridiculous amount of blame heaped upon Diggs on these pages is a coping mechanism and it’s gaslighting.  It’s not reality based.  I suppose you can say I’m defending Diggs.  I get that.   In reality it stands out because the herd mentality is that he is now public enemy number one.  Example:  There a new thread about the Bills needing to get under the cap.  Guess who got blamed.  The thoughts I’ve shared on Diggs are more a reaction to garbage like that.

What’s next?  Inflation?  His car burns too much greenhouse gas?

Diggs should get some share of the blame for what is likely to be a tough year. So should Beane, McD, Brady the puppet, Von, Dawkins, Cook, and trigger warning…..our QB who still seems to prefer goofing around to preparation but at least he’ll be ready for his Australian vacation now that he knows how to throw a boomerang.

I hear you about finding a suitable replacement but that was not realistic in 2024.  Next year?  Maybe.  Until then we’ll have to “enjoy” this group of receivers.  Diggs and Davis will still be able to help people’s fantasy teams though.

Edited by 4merper4mer
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

The ridiculous amount of blame heaped upon Diggs on these pages is a coping mechanism and it’s gaslighting.  It’s not reality based.  I suppose you can say I’m defending Diggs.  I get that.   In reality it stands out because the herd mentality is that he is now public enemy number one.  Example:  There a new thread about the Bills needing to get under the cap.  Guess who got blamed.  The thoughts I’ve shared on Diggs are more a reaction to garbage like that.

Diggs should get some share of the blame for what is likely to be a tough year. So should Beane, McD, Brady the puppet, Von, Dawkins, Cook, and trigger warning…..our QB who still seems to prefer goofing around to preparation but at least he’ll be ready for his Australian vacation now that he knows how to throw a boomerang.

I hear you about finding a suitable replacement but that was not realistic in 2024.  Next year?  Maybe.  Until then we’ll have to “enjoy” this group of receivers.  Diggs and Davis will still be able to help people’s fantasy teams though.

One of 4 things happened to Diggs last year. 1. He gave up.

2. He was injured.

3. Skills declined.

4. OC skeemed away from him. 

During the season I thought he had a injury. There was talk about his back. I recently watched the first Miami game and it may have been one of his best for us, so I doubt his skills declined to what we saw at the end of the year. Maybe Brady did get away from him because he felt he couldn’t trust him anymore. He was taking himself out at a high rate especially 3rd downs.  If there was friction between him and Allen it wouldn’t be hard for a coach to notice. Have to ask why would he want to do that, why would he direct the offense away from what should have been his most dynamic playmaker? It will also be pretty evident skills wise by his performance this year if he was dogging it or he has declined. 
I am with the group that thinks Beane dropped the ball not building a better receiving corps this year.

5 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

Or maybe Brady is a snowflake and got his feeeeeeeeeelings hurt and took it out on Diggs.

That’s a childish uneducated view, Brady would hurt his own employment opportunity because his supposed star player hurt his feelings? He coach in an intern position is gonna sink his own ship? Laughable at best , do you read what you write?

• Like (+1) 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/29/2024 at 12:32 PM, 4merper4mer said:

When Brady fails I’m hopeful McD will realize he needs a real OC that will bring his own offensive philosophy.  Heretofore the focus has been on the offense not putting the defense behind some perceived eight ball.  

Not looking good so far but it’s still early in the season or are you starting to have a little change of heart?

• Haha (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Devilmann said:

Not looking good so far but it’s still early in the season or are you starting to have a little change of heart?

I’m very happily surprised.  It’s only three games and good teams will adjust to us but clearly I was wrong about Brady’s ability to be multi-dimensional.  Yes having Allen makes it easier but Brady has to be given a ton of credit.  I’m equally impressed but less surprised with McD’s brilliant management of the depleted defense.  Bravo all around.

• Like (+1) 3

19 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

I’m very happily surprised.  It’s only three games and good teams will adjust to us but clearly I was wrong about Brady’s ability to be multi-dimensional.  Yes having Allen makes it easier but Brady has to be given a ton of credit.  I’m equally impressed but less surprised with McD’s brilliant management of the depleted defense.  Bravo all around.

There may be a kidnapping in progress as I just got an Amber Alert for this man

• Haha (+1) 8

On 9/3/2024 at 6:59 AM, Fan in Chicago said:

.......not aging well.

• Agree 2

On 9/3/2024 at 7:09 AM, 4merper4mer said:

laughing-crows-old-cartoons.gif

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Devilmann said:

Feel like an opportunity was missed here to simply ask…

”any updates on this?”

• Awesome! (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Sweats said:

.......not aging well.

I see that. I really think that the success is due to - Allen playing on a different level, Brady being creative with his play calling and the scheme which emphasizes collective over individual success. If you are going to call me out, you should also dig up my post early in the off-season where I said the Bills WR room is designed to cover different parts of the field and is not focused on having a "#1 WR". 

As of now, both things are true - the offense is ridiculously good and that we don't have a single dominant WR

10 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

Good to see you owning your takes. 👍

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

I see that. I really think that the success is due to - Allen playing on a different level, Brady being creative with his play calling and the scheme which emphasizes collective over individual success. If you are going to call me out, you should also dig up my post early in the off-season where I said the Bills WR room is designed to cover different parts of the field and is not focused on having a "#1 WR". 

As of now, both things are true - the offense is ridiculously good and that we don't have a single dominant WR

Good to see you owning your takes. 👍

It wasn't a "call out"

On 9/2/2024 at 8:11 PM, 4merper4mer said:

Perhaps his production went down just as we got a new and clueless OC that deemphasized him?

And for the record I’m not defending Diggs; I’m lamenting the fact that we had a viable stable of weapons and now we do not.  Diggs has been made public enemy number one for no realistic reason.  Did he play a role in the diminishment of our offense?  Sure.  But so did McD, Beane, Brady, Allen and more.  Our offense is weaker.  That’s the bottom line.

You're doing this for laughs, I got it now!

On 9/3/2024 at 6:33 PM, Allen2Coleman said:

That’s a childish uneducated view, Brady would hurt his own employment opportunity because his supposed star player hurt his feelings? He coach in an intern position is gonna sink his own ship? Laughable at best , do you read what you write?

Noi childish, entertaining!

• Awesome! (+1) 1

On 8/29/2024 at 9:37 AM, 4merper4mer said:

It’s pretty clear to anyone with an objective pair of eyes that 2024 has already been and will continue to be a year of change for the Bills franchise.  Even whe setting aside the looming new stadium and other topics beyond players and coaches, massive change is clearly afoot.  

We’ve been a good team for the last few years, we have the number one building block needed for an NFL team, a QB with elite skills, but our first roster build around that QB failed, and we will see where our second build leads, but……this year is neither,  it’s the change year.  Like it or not, 2024 is lost.  Because:

We got rid of our best non-QB offensive weapon

We decided to get rid of leadership anywhere and everywhere we could 

We’re still saddled with useless players on ridiculous contracts and/or paying off cap hits from departed players

We have a coach that prefers defense to offense and as such opted for ineptitude at OC for this year

There are clearly players still on the roster that either shouldn’t be, or who the coaches would prefer off

Given all of the above, it is silly to expect much from 2024.  The big question is how it will position us for 2025 and beyond.  Below are what I’d like to see happen in and after 2024 to help position us for 2025.  They are not in order of importance really.  Most or all will need to happen.

1. McDermott fully realizing complementary football doesn’t simply mean a nerfed and vanilla offense letting the defense get more rest during the year, but also allows for situational strategy and games where we are high octane.  
2. An off season hiring of a real OC, not a puppet.

3. Bye Bye Von.  Take your big talk with you.

4. Apparently some our our leaders and their styles hurt the feelings of some snowflakes so Diggs, Morse, Tre, Poyer, and more are gone.  Emergence of new leaders and new leadership styles is a must.  If you’re going to get rid of a player like Diggs because he hurt some feelings, you’re going to learn the easy way or the hard way, that sometimes hurt feelings are necessary.  You simply can’t have a bunch of “fun” leaders.  Josh or someone will need to fill that void as the team navigates the turbulence inevitable in any season.  Based on recent press disclosures, the amount of respect for Josh around the league is slim to none,  I wonder how much of that stems from his lack of seriousness.  Rousseau is no longer everyone’s understudy.  Now is his time.  Who will be the others?
5. Like #1 but different……McDermott either deciding to simply get rid of players he doesn’t like or deciding to live with them.  No more trying to play the middle with back handed compliments like the ones he throws at James Cook for example.  You can’t change everyone,  Either roll with them or don’t.  
6. Let players that clearly don’t want to be here walk,  I’m not sure why Douglas doesn’t want to be here but it’s pretty obvious.  
7. Be objective and clear the decks of traveling hospital wards like Milano even if they were great while they were here.

8. Ditch enablers to the goofball leadership style even if they are decent players.  Get something for them.  I really like Dawkins and Knox as players and think they are underrated but they also don’t appear to take winning seriously.  There is too much of that in the locker room.

9. Beane’s accurate assessment of all of the above as 2024 plays out.  The cap stuff will be mostly gone moving into next year.  Does he go right after it in 2025 or is it time for a major re-set?  No more a little bit of both.

2024 is a metamorphoses year.  We will emerge in 2025.  Are we in a cocoon this year so we’ll emerge an ugly moth or are we in a chrysalis so we can emerge a beautiful butterfly?   We’re about to find out.

Sometimes it's just better to delete a "masterpiece" of a vent post rather than making a fool of yourself by posting it.