The Athletic Survey: Josh Allen or Lamar Jackson?

This needs to be mentioned and not buried in the "ESPN Player Survey" topic.

The Athletic, in its newsletter "The Pulse" polled its readers with the question:

Which QB would you rather have quarterbacking your team, Josh Allen or Lamar Jackson?

Unfortunately The Athletic is a paid subscription so I can't link it... and moreover there is not yet an article accompanying the poll, just the email newsletter "The Pulse." Finally no figures are given as to the number of respondents, only the percentages.

The results... Allen 63.8% Jackson 36.2%

From the email newsletter "The Pulse":

"Just, wow

This was, frankly, unexpected. Pulse readers overwhelmingly would take Josh Allen over Lamar Jackson, a stunning blowout that leaves me with more questions than before. I almost wish we had included a box to explain reasoning. 

Two points to make: 

Jackson and Allen are truly the ideal comparison partners. Both entered the league in 2018, are dynamic dual-threat QBs and have generally played on winning teams. Both have made it as far as the AFC title game, but the progress stops there.

Allen leads in total yards (26,314 vs. 21,145) and, per our point yesterday, has been a little more durable. He’s played in 94 games to Jackson’s 86. And yet, Jackson has two MVPs. Allen has zero. 

I just don’t see how Allen is such a bigger favorite, but I digress. Las Vegas agrees with you all, too: Allen (+850) has the second-highest MVP odds this year per BetMGM, while Jackson (+2000) is down at No. 10. Woof."

Chris Branch

On a related note, The Athletic's Mike Sando did his annual Quarterback Tiers. Again this is behind a paywall.

"The 2024 QB Tiers results are here, complete with commentary from the 50 NFL coaches and executives who were granted anonymity to share candid evaluations. The panel consisted of seven general managers, eight head coaches, 12 coordinators, 12 executives, eight assistant coaches and three involved in coaching/analytics. Each voter placed 30 veteran quarterbacks into five tiers, from best (Tier 1) to worst (Tier 5). Quarterbacks were then ranked by average vote and placed into tiers based on vote distribution, beginning with Mahomes, whose 1.00 average vote reflected his status as the only unanimous Tier 1 selection. No QBs landed in Tier 5, although some received Tier 5 votes. The survey excludes rookies because voters have not seen them play in the NFL."

Tier 1 (Quarterback can carry his team each week. The team wins because of him. He expertly handles pure-passing situations. He has no real holes in his game).

Patrick Mahomes

Joe Burrow

Josh Allen

Tier 2 (Quarterback can carry his team sometimes but not as consistently. He can handle pure-passing situations in doses and/or possesses other dimensions that are special enough to elevate him above Tier 3. He has a hole or two in his game).

Lamar Jackson

Matthew Stafford

Justin Herbert

Aaron Rodgers

CJ Stroud

Dak Prescott

Jared Goff

Jalen Hurts

Brock Purdy

Kirk Cousins

Jordan Love

Edited by Sierra Foothills
  • Agree 5
  • Thank you (+1) 2

• Sierra Foothills changed the title to The Athletic Survey: Josh Allen or Lamar Jackson?

Brock Purdy in tier 2 is a joke in my opinion.

Jimmy G looked pretty damn good in that SF offence and as soon as you take him off a team that's full of all pros and he goes to another team, he loses his job to Aiden O Connell

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Jackson may have two MVP's, but one of them is a complete joke. Players and media love Jackson, but ask any coach who they'd rather have and I bet most, if not all, would take Allen. And the fans see it too. They see right through the media narrative and notice that Jackson is much less dynamic as a passer. Allen is just as lethal as a runner, but a far better passer. It's not close, in my opinion.

Plus, Allen plays his best ball in the playoffs while Jackson plays his worst.

• Like (+1) 10
  • Agree 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

How is a whipping boy overrated?

There’s a weird cognitive dissonance with Allen. Almost like everybody subconsciously knows he should get more respect than he does, but they don’t want to give it to him. So it manifests in weird situations like this. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Sierra Foothills said:

From the email newsletter "The Pulse":

"Just, wow

This was, frankly, unexpected. Pulse readers overwhelmingly would take Josh Allen over Lamar Jackson, a stunning blowout that leaves me with more questions than before. 

Between the horrendous take and annoying tween speech, this person should be fired. There is no scenario where this is mind blowing.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Josh really needs to go into No More Mr Nice Guy mode this year. 

There’s absolutely zero doubt in my mind that being voted most overrated by some players has pissed him off and will undoubtedly fuel his dominance this season.

I just hope he’s able to harness that energy in week one and not implode.

• Like (+1) 1

1st bit of truth ive heard today. Josh Allen clearly has a more well rounded game than Lamar. Has been more durable & displays that will to win. Case in point: Josh Allen wouldn't ever run off the field during a playoff game to go to the bathroom, while his team was about to score vs the Bengals at the 1  yard line. Josh would handle his business on the field #1 & then #2, not the other way around lol

I think the biggest question after this comparison is how does Jackson win 2 MVPs and Allen none? I will never get that. Edge in yards 26k to 21k.... thats almost a 20% difference and more available/durable with very similar results in the playoffs... and yet the writer of the article is baffled why people think Josh is better.... thats like say geez, I feel in the pool and I just dont have any idea why my clothes are wet... smh

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, MJS said:

Jackson may have two MVP's, but one of them is a complete joke. Players and media love Jackson, but ask any coach who they'd rather have and I bet most, if not all, would take Allen. And the fans see it too. They see right through the media narrative and notice that Jackson is much less dynamic as a passer. Allen is just as lethal as a runner, but a far better passer. It's not close, in my opinion.

Plus, Allen plays his best ball in the playoffs while Jackson plays his worst.

And here's your winning answer. 

Article conveniently leaves out that Allen has more passing touchdowns than Lamar has total touchdowns in his career.   Last time I looked scoring touchdowns wins games.  Lamar average 1.7 a game where Allen averages 2.3.     Are we really going to use MVPs as a legitimate stat to compare QB play?    Yes, Lamar is better because he gets more votes from a bunch of writers who likely dont understand the actual game of football.

Lamar took a nice step forward as a passer last year, but if you actually watch both of them play its obvious how much better Allen is.   There is only one player in the entire NFL better than Allen and his names Mahomes. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

How the newsletter author could be so “shocked” to the point of “woof” at the poll results is frankly, “oof” shocking in and of itself, imho. He cites the MVPs as the basis for that, despite the fact that Allen admittedly leads in basically all stats that matter??!! Clearly this guy knows nothing about actual football, or that MVP’s have turned into a political popularity contest, a la the pro bowl imho. 

Edited by NoHuddleKelly12
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, BillsFan130 said:

Brock Purdy in tier 2 is a joke in my opinion.

Jimmy G looked pretty damn good in that SF offence and as soon as you take him off a team that's full of all pros and he goes to another team, he loses his job to Aiden O Connell

Brock Purdy helped lead SF to a Super Bowl in his 2nd season.  He threw for 4200 yards and had 31 TD passes.

He deserves to be right where he is.  

3 hours ago, ToGoGo said:

How is a whipping boy overrated?

There’s a weird cognitive dissonance with Allen. Almost like everybody subconsciously knows he should get more respect than he does, but they don’t want to give it to him. So it manifests in weird situations like this. 

I think part of the player survey results is josh Allen talks more sh*t than anyone so it’s easier for players to call him overrated haha it’s honestly pretty funny.  They probably think he has some huge ego but really he seems like he just does it for fun 🤣