Bobby Babich to call Bills' Defense

6 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Yeah kinda.

you are forgetting that he hired Dennison, Crossman and Dorsey. 

Dennison yup and I think was a "I couldn't get anyone else" and was gone after a/McD's first year.  Crossman he inherited and was gone after year 2.  So that's 2 of the 4 within McD's first 2 years.  Dorsey, yup but was also gone fairly quickly and in time to salvage the season.

Edited by Doc

4 minutes ago, Doc said:

Dennison yup and I think was a "I couldn't get anyone else" and was gone after a/McD's first year.  Crossman he inherited and was gone after year 2.  Dorsey, yup but was also gone fairly quickly and in time to salvage the season.

Like I said, firing a coordinator every two years is pretty stark.

other teams in our weight class aren’t really turning over coordinators at that rate, and the ones that do we have a pretty poor outlook on their future (Eagles/Cowboys).

im probably considered more of a McD guy than most, but that’s a lot of hiring and firings.  

Edited by FireChans

2 minutes ago, FireChans said:

other teams in our weight class aren’t really turning over coordinators at that rate, and the ones that do we have a pretty poor outlook on their future (Eagles/Cowboys).

im probably considered more of a McD guy than most, but that’s a lot of hiring and firings.  

Not if you consider the coaches themselves.  Dennison was likely all McD could get as a rookie HC with no QB and McD moved on from him quickly to Daboll, who was a good hire and got a HC'ing gig (and could be back next year ;)).  Two of the others were STs coaches and replaced after poor performances.  Pretty stable on defense. 

It will be interesting to see how Brady and Babich.  IMHO McD's tenure is riding on them.

32 minutes ago, Doc said:

I don't know for sure about Frazier, but I can see McD trying to give him his moment to shine so as to get another head coaching gig.  Farwell I'm sure was responsible for not informing Bass of the change in kickoff strategy, and if so he deserved to be fired.  I don't think McD fired him for no reason.

And as for Josh seeing his D pizz away another playoff game, that was the only game they pizzed away.  No one came to play against the Bengals the following year and last year the Bills were starting their backup LB's and a backup CB against the Chefs, and Bass blew the game-tying kick.  Meanwhile some have said he could have won the game had he thrown the ball to Diggs on that final drive when they were in the redzone, to at least chew up clock so as to not see the defense pizz the game away.

And hey, I'm all for getting a stud HC who is great at something.  I'm open to suggestions.  But I've never been a change for change sake kind of person when things are successful and I think it's going to have to wait until the Bills sorely under perform.  And who knows?  That could be this season.

Theres zero chance that McD ever thought Frazier would get another HC gig—you don’t even believe that. 

as for Farwell…we know he fired him for a reason.  Why didn’t Pegula fire McD for blowing 2 TOs to botch the subsequent play calls? Far worse than a touchback.  Watch that game again and after the 1st TO you’ll scream WTF was that.  After the second one you throw something.  You won’t say the ST needs to go.  That was a winnable game by any decent Defensive play caller.  13 seconds.  From the 25

17 minutes ago, FireChans said:

You are ?!

6 minutes ago, Doc said:

Not if you consider the coaches themselves.  Dennison was likely all McD could get as a rookie HC with no QB and McD moved on from him quickly to Daboll, who was a good hire and got a HC'ing gig (and could be back next year ;)).  Two of the others were STs coaches and replaced after poor performances.  Pretty stable on defense. 

It will be interesting to see how Brady and Babich.  IMHO McD's tenure is riding on them.

I think McD has had enough time to refine his Coaching staff to his vision by now

Agreed he took what he could early on.

Excited for Babich and Brady calling plays

2 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Theres zero chance that McD ever thought Frazier would get another HC gig—you don’t even believe that. 

as for Farwell…we know he fired him for a reason.  Why didn’t Pegula fire McD for blowing 2 TOs to botch the subsequent play calls? Far worse than a touchback.  Watch that game again and after the 1st TO you’ll scream WTF was that.  After the second one you throw something.  You won’t say the ST needs to go.  That was a winnable game by any decent Defensive play caller.  13 seconds.  From the 25

No, that's what you believe.

And after McD brought the team back to respectability after a 17 year drought littered with bad coaches...a bad sequence wasn't going to lose him his job.    Not when the STs blunder likely would have altered the outcome.  And it's not like the coaches hired in 2022 were anything special.

1 hour ago, Doc said:

No, that's what you believe.

And after McD brought the team back to respectability after a 17 year drought littered with bad coaches...a bad sequence wasn't going to lose him his job.    Not when the STs blunder likely would have altered the outcome.  And it's not like the coaches hired in 2022 were anything special.

What's Frazier up to these days?  You make it too easy doc.

Yes, McD will be eating lunch from some fans off of that "ended the drought" feather in his cap.

I know you're dying to pin this on the ST coach, despite everything that unbelievable was allowed to happen next, but a guy who can't stop a team from it's own 25 with 13 seconds left with "Leslie Frazier's" top Defense shouldn't be allowed to ever call a play again--let alone as HC.

7 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Again.  Common sense play calling ends the game in regulation. The quotes about tell you explicitly how this game was lost. 

Josh Allen deserves far better.  Without him, McDermott is Brian Daboll… or Leslie Frazier 

you can “say” it was Frazier’s fault (McD put him out to pasture) like you can say it was Farwwll (right under the bus as well)…but it’s really only you convincing yourself these things are true. 

I understand why you have to believe all that is true.  Some HCs just go through a lot of coordinators…right?? Completely normal. 

Yeah-  common sense to kick the ball in play ends the game.  

bad play calling on D too.  But also bad execution.

you mention unnamed players saying McDermott screwed up the kickoff call, well there’s a named player that says he screwed up on defensive execution.  Like mcd had stated.

you might be right about McDermott being Daboll or Frazier if he didn’t have Allen.  I’m not saying he’s great-  I’m just not jumping to ridiculous conclusions because I don’t like the guy

7 minutes ago, NewEra said:

you mention unnamed players saying McDermott screwed up the kickoff call, well there’s a named player that says he screwed up on defensive execution.  Like mcd had stated.

you might be right about McDermott being Daboll or Frazier if he didn’t have Allen.  I’m not saying he’s great-  I’m just not jumping to ridiculous conclusions because I don’t like the guy

i've heard this interview many times before...isn't wallace basically saying he was lined up properly but if he had checked in he would have adjusted to what he was seeing from the Chiefs? this is from an interview he gave fwiw:

...Yet given those two timeouts before both plays and this detail-obsessed head coach and the stakes, isn’t Poyer coached to line up so deep? Wallace answers that, yes, this was “in the gameplan.” But he puts it on the players to realize KC only needed a field goal and believes guys were too caught up in the emotion of the offense scoring a touchdown. One thought was on their mind: We’re going to the AFC Championship Game. Tyreek Hill went for 19 yards, Travis Kelce for 25 yards, Harrison Butker kicked a 49-yard field goal and, into OT, the Bills’ No. 1 defense folded like a tailgate table. With one word — “yeah” — Wallace humbly agrees that this was how he was supposed to line up those two plays. No, he did not go rogue. But, no, Wallace is also not going to sit here and roast Sean McDermott because that’s not his style.

He’ll take accountability. (Even though he doesn’t need to.)

“If you guys want to put it on me, I’ll take it,” Wallace says. “I don’t really care.”

4 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

i've heard this interview many times before...isn't wallace basically saying he was lined up properly but if he had checked in he would have adjusted to what he was seeing from the Chiefs? this is from an interview he gave fwiw:

...Yet given those two timeouts before both plays and this detail-obsessed head coach and the stakes, isn’t Poyer coached to line up so deep? Wallace answers that, yes, this was “in the gameplan.” But he puts it on the players to realize KC only needed a field goal and believes guys were too caught up in the emotion of the offense scoring a touchdown. One thought was on their mind: We’re going to the AFC Championship Game. Tyreek Hill went for 19 yards, Travis Kelce for 25 yards, Harrison Butker kicked a 49-yard field goal and, into OT, the Bills’ No. 1 defense folded like a tailgate table. With one word — “yeah” — Wallace humbly agrees that this was how he was supposed to line up those two plays. No, he did not go rogue. But, no, Wallace is also not going to sit here and roast Sean McDermott because that’s not his style.

He’ll take accountability. (Even though he doesn’t need to.)

“If you guys want to put it on me, I’ll take it,” Wallace says. “I don’t really care.”

Listen to it again-  Levi said it was a good play call.  He also said that he usually looks at where the other guys are….but he didn’t this time.  On the most important play of his career….. he decides not to do he does on every other play…. 

again. McDermott deserves a lot of blame for the loss 💯—- but like I’ve been saying - it’s not ONLY on him.  You disagree-  cool

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

Listen to it again-  Levi said it was a good play call.  He also said that he usually looks at where the other guys are….but he didn’t this time.  On the most important play of his career….. he decides not to do he does on every other play…. 

again. McDermott deserves a lot of blame for the loss 💯—- but like I’ve been saying - it’s not ONLY on him.  You disagree-  cool

I think he's saying he lined up properly and adjusting would have been better but outside the playcall

That's how I took it anyway

Ancient history tho

11 hours ago, NewEra said:

how has Levi been rewarded for falling on the sword?  

Anyway, it's not my "jump" to a conclusion--its a common thread that, as you see, is easily found elsewhere.  to pretend that McD's behavior over the years, particularly after season ending losses, as it pertains to staff firing and assigning blame, does NOT allow speculation as to why he may be assigning another new coordinator as playcaller in a "rebuilding" year....that's just delusion.

• Disagree 1

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

how has Levi been rewarded for falling on the sword?  

Anyway, it's not my "jump" to a conclusion--its a common thread that, as you see, is easily found elsewhere.  to pretend that McD's behavior over the years, particularly after season ending losses, as it pertains to staff firing and assigning blame, does NOT allow speculation as to why he may be assigning another new coordinator as playcaller in a "rebuilding" year....that's just delusion.

Yeah, maybe we should reward crappy players for telling the truth.  Sounds like a great business decision.  

yeah-  he just hired him so he can sacrifice him.  Keep thinking that

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, FireChans said:

Yeah kinda.

you are forgetting that he hired Dennison, Crossman and Dorsey. 

Randy Crossman was the Bills ST Coordinator since 2013.  He was a holdover when McDermott came to Buffalo.

Dennison was one of the few available guys to take a OC job with a new HC back in 2017.

He had done the job before but hasn't been an OC since.  Moving on from him when Daboll was available was a good move.

I think Josh Allen had a lot to do with the Dorsey selection.  It did not work out.

• Agree 1

17 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

What's Frazier up to these days?  You make it too easy doc.

Yes, McD will be eating lunch from some fans off of that "ended the drought" feather in his cap.

I know you're dying to pin this on the ST coach, despite everything that unbelievable was allowed to happen next, but a guy who can't stop a team from it's own 25 with 13 seconds left with "Leslie Frazier's" top Defense shouldn't be allowed to ever call a play again--let alone as HC.

Nothing, after 13 seconds.  You make it even easier...

LOL!  McD will be signed in a microsecond when he's fired by the Bills.  Even you know this.

And I didn't pin the loss solely on the ST's coach's error as I've blamed the defensive play-calling on Frazier and McD for allowing it to happen as well.  

2 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Randy Crossman was the Bills ST Coordinator since 2013.  He was a holdover when McDermott came to Buffalo.

Dennison was one of the few available guys to take a OC job with a new HC back in 2017.

He had done the job before but hasn't been an OC since.  Moving on from him when Daboll was available was a good move.

I think Josh Allen had a lot to do with the Dorsey selection.  It did not work out.

Crossman was a hold over, but McD was well within his rights to not retain him. Like he did for a bunch of other coaches.

There are a million guys who are available for OC jobs every year. The key is finding good ones.  Dennison was never really an OC, he was a Mike Shanahan/Gary Kubiak lackey.  They picked the wrong one, he sucked, and they fired him.

As much as I think Josh wanted Dorsey, and as much as I don't like partcipating in the "it's either Josh's fault or McD's fault," game, the buck stops with the HC when it comes to picking staff. McD has to wear Crossman, Dorsey and Dennison. They are guys he hired or retained who sucked.

5 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Crossman was a hold over, but McD was well within his rights to not retain him. Like he did for a bunch of other coaches.

There are a million guys who are available for OC jobs every year. The key is finding good ones.  Dennison was never really an OC, he was a Mike Shanahan/Gary Kubiak lackey.  They picked the wrong one, he sucked, and they fired him.

As much as I think Josh wanted Dorsey, and as much as I don't like partcipating in the "it's either Josh's fault or McD's fault," game, the buck stops with the HC when it comes to picking staff. McD has to wear Crossman, Dorsey and Dennison. They are guys he hired or retained who sucked.

Definitely mistakes with Dennison and Dorsey which he has moved on from.  I think McDermott should have kept Danny.

• 3 weeks later...