Bobby Babich to call Bills' Defense

There were a number of occasions when McD took over the play calling from Leslie during the game to save the day when it was clear Leslie was lost.   I’m surprised the McD Frazier relationship lasted as long as it did.   I would rather have one cook in the kitchen, McD call the plays.  

2 hours ago, Conlan58 said:

I'm not sure it is going to make a difference in the rotation having Babich call the defense, but I would prefer to see the best players on defense in the game more often than not. The TJ Watt type players have the numbers they have because they get the snaps - we have yet to see a distinguishable difference by using a heavy rotation vs. other teams, and it certainly has not led to more pressure or productivity due to "fresh legs". 

Go with the hot hand. 

Historically, going back to Carolina days, McD abandoned (or significantly reduced) the DL rotations once they had 4 competent/star players on the line. If we had 4 studs, they'd get the majority of the snaps. As it stands, we have Rousseau and Oliver as our best players on DL. And they certainly flash at times, but arent the consistently dominant players they'd like to see to stay out there more.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, RobbRiddick said:

How long into game 1 or 2 before posters in the game thread start calling for McD to take over the play calls?

I'm guessing first half of the Dolphins game

How long into this thread before posters start claiming that McD did this to deflect blame onto Babich when we don’t win a SB and use him as the scapegoat to save his job 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, NewEra said:

How long into this thread before posters start claiming that McD did this to deflect blame onto Babich when we don’t win a SB and use him as the scapegoat to save his job 

Darn, I was just going to bring this up. 

It'll be easier to scapegoat Babich when he's the one calling plays. 

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Babich will be calling plays from under the idling bus...

• Haha (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, NewEra said:

That thought did genuinely cross my mind but I was saving it for the season 

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Logic said:

This thread will be filled with lots of jokes and snark, I'm sure, but I like this move.

The offensive coordinator should call the offense, the defensive coordinator should call the defense, and let the head coach be free to be a head coach.

Last year was the first year Sean McDermott had to concentrate more on the defense, and the offense wound up being an undisciplined mess (relatively speaking) until Dorsey got fired.

I don't think McDermott wants to "take his eye off the ball" like that again.

Well, if I wanted to be cynical, I'd say it's a good move by McDermott simply in terms of getting as far away from this defense as he can.  There are a lot of questions about talent - primarily at linebacker and safety, and if this defense underperforms, there will be plenty of criticism for whoever is coaching the defense, including calling the plays.  By leaving Babich with the play calling, McDermott has a little wiggle room at the end of the season if he's looking for someone to blame.  And it also leaves McDermott the option of elevating himself to the play calling duties later in the season, which we've seen him do before.  

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

Whoops!  I just did it.  And not in response to you.  

I don't think McDermott is necessarily looking for a scapegoat, but criticizing the team's lack of defensive performance, if that happens, certainly is easier for McD if he isn't calling the plays. 

8 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Well, if I wanted to be cynical, I'd say it's a good move by McDermott simply in terms of getting as far away from this defense as he can.  There are a lot of questions about talent - primarily at linebacker and safety, and if this defense underperforms, there will be plenty of criticism for whoever is coaching the defense, including calling the plays.  By leaving Babich with the play calling, McDermott has a little wiggle room at the end of the season if he's looking for someone to blame.  And it also leaves McDermott the option of elevating himself to the play calling duties later in the season, which we've seen him do before.  

Whoops!  I just did it.  And not in response to you.  

I don't think McDermott is necessarily looking for a scapegoat, but criticizing the team's lack of defensive performance, if that happens, certainly is easier for McD if he isn't calling the plays. 

Do you think this is the reason he made this move?  Or do you think he did it because it is in the best interests of the teams success?

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Conlan58 said:

I'm not sure it is going to make a difference in the rotation having Babich call the defense, but I would prefer to see the best players on defense in the game more often than not. The TJ Watt type players have the numbers they have because they get the snaps - we have yet to see a distinguishable difference by using a heavy rotation vs. other teams, and it certainly has not led to more pressure or productivity due to "fresh legs". 

Go with the hot hand. 

Your take has merit. The flip side is later in the game/season players may have some left in the tank. Personally I like your approach to this but I see the other side.