Bobby Babich to call Bills' Defense

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/bobby-babich-will-call-the-bills-defensive-plays

"Bills head coach Sean McDermott has made a decision about who will call the team’s defensive plays this year. 

McDermott had that responsibility last year, but he left things open after promoting Bobby Babich to defensive coordinator earlier this year. That remained the case through the summer, but the season opener is now a little more than a week away and McDermott has settled on Babich being the voice this time around.

“What I like about Bobby is our experience together and the wisdom he has, both as a secondary coach and a linebacker coach,” McDermott told Ryan O’Halloran of the Buffalo News. “I just feel like he’s a growth-minded individual and coach, and that’s the right approach.”

The Bills parted ways with a number of players who played prominent roles on their run of division champions this offseason and they hope the rejiggered roster can continue to have the same kind of success. The move to Babich is another significant change and Week One’s matchup with the Cardinals is the first chance to see how it is all coming together."

• Like (+1) 8
  • Thank you (+1) 4

I'm not sure it is going to make a difference in the rotation having Babich call the defense, but I would prefer to see the best players on defense in the game more often than not. The TJ Watt type players have the numbers they have because they get the snaps - we have yet to see a distinguishable difference by using a heavy rotation vs. other teams, and it certainly has not led to more pressure or productivity due to "fresh legs". 

Go with the hot hand. 

• Like (+1) 8
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Conlan58 said:

I'm not sure it is going to make a difference in the rotation having Babich call the defense, but I would prefer to see the best players on defense in the game more often than not. The TJ Watt type players have the numbers they have because they get the snaps - we have yet to see a distinguishable difference by using a heavy rotation vs. other teams, and it certainly has not led to more pressure or productivity due to "fresh legs". 

Go with the hot hand. 

I've had this thought myself a number of times since the vaunted rotation became fashionable.  Has it ever worked better than having 3 or 4 solid starters who play 70-80% of snaps?

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, dorquemada said:

I've had this thought myself a number of times since the vaunted rotation became fashionable.  Has it ever worked better than having 3 or 4 solid starters who play 70-80% of snaps?

Bruce Smith sure as s*** wasn't in a rotation

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 5

This thread will be filled with lots of jokes and snark, I'm sure, but I like this move.

The offensive coordinator should call the offense, the defensive coordinator should call the defense, and let the head coach be free to be a head coach.

Last year was the first year Sean McDermott had to concentrate more on the defense, and the offense wound up being an undisciplined mess (relatively speaking) until Dorsey got fired.

I don't think McDermott wants to "take his eye off the ball" like that again.

• Like (+1) 8
  • Agree 4

Honestly, this is the best news I’ve heard all off-season. I was ready to give up on McD and honestly kind of did. But with them bringing in John Parry and McD now giving up playcalling duties to Bobby Babich, who I think is gonna be awesome. I’m proud that he’s able to evolve and realize his shortcomings of being over his head with managing in game decisions. I am actually now slightly optimistic that he can do a solid job this year of not blowing things because last year and previous years were so horrendous. His decisions especially in critical moments (Denver, Philly last year, obviously KC 13 seconds, multiple challenge blunders) has kept us from going further in the playoffs or even reaching the number one seed during the regular season. Here’s hoping this is the year.  Proud of you McD. Go Bills 

• Like (+1) 7

1 hour ago, mushypeaches said:

Bruce Smith sure as s*** wasn't in a rotation

26 minutes ago, uninja said:

Neither was LT or Reggie White

Great, all we have to do is sign someone like those guys.

EZPZ.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

I'm glad to see this.  Andy Reid can manage to call plays in-game without hurting his game management, but 1.) that wasn't true in his Philly days, and 2.) I don't think McDermott's on Reid's level right now.  I'm glad both that McD will have less on his plate in-game, and that we have a new voice/perspective calling the plays.  Plus, it gives us the option of having McDermott jump in to assist, in a way that we don't get if McD is already calling every play.

• Like (+1) 1

McD has a lot of help this year.  He has coordinators calling plays on offense and defense, he has a replay assistant and an ex-official helping with rules and technique.  Hoping this all frees him up to improve his big-picture strategy and decision-making.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Gregg said:

If he can defend a 3-point lead with 13 seconds left in the game, then he is already an improvement of McDermott :)

that was Leslie, technically.  But defenses take on their coach, loved how aggressive we were last year and were dominant before the injuries.  Babich energy should be contagious to the players