Why they call it a "stick shift"

2 hours ago, Steve O said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDKp_exBll4

Red the title and immediately thought of this old Geo Storm commercial..."Guys like a girl that knows how to drive a stick." (nowadays I'm just happy with a girl that has never had a stick)

I dated a girl that had one.  Dropped her off at the airport, she had made an appointment for the clutch to be looked at, a few days later, at times it seemed to not go into gear. Leaving the airport, I could kinda feel something wasn't right, so I decided I'd drop it off that day.  Get to the end of the off ramp to go to the dealer, and it would not move at all, had to call a tow truck.  I forgot the exact reason it failed, something was out of alignment, so it felt like you always had the clutch in.  

I was down in Binghamton  one day for work. pulled into the store and my 1986 Ford Ranger stick shift broke off in my hand.  The guy that was with me started laughing his ass off. Happy ending though, Ford dealer had it towed and was a recall for faulty part. Sent us on our way no charge.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

I was down in Binghamton  one day for work. pulled into the store and my 1986 Ford Ranger stick shift broke off in my hand.  The guy that was with me started laughing his ass off. Happy ending though, Ford dealer had it towed and was a recall for faulty part. Sent us on our way no charge.

Probably hysterical! Funnier if it was "3 on the tree."

When my father met my mother, he had a '55 Chevy.  He always pulled through, never reversed... Getting it in reverse meant climbing under the car and finding the scrambled up linkage he never fixed permanently.  😆 

Mom definitely married down!

Edited by ExiledInIllinois
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Probably hysterical! Funnier if it was "3 on the tree."

When my father met my mother, he had a '55 Chevy.  He always pulled through, never reversed... Getting it in reverse meant climbing under the car and finding the scrambled up linkage he never fixed permanently.  😆 

Mom definitely married down!

Exwife owned a POS Dodge Aspen.  That also had a three on the tree and it was smart to pull through as R often said not working today

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

Come on dude.  There were better ways of working “happy ending” into the “stick shift” thread.  You didn’t even try to mention Bob Kraft?  Weak.

Edited by 4merper4mer
  • Haha (+1) 1