How do you explain this team?

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Injuries have not helped.  Frazier garbage soft as Charmin playoff D did not help.  Not being able to run the ball most seasons has not helped.  Tragic and Traumatic events in 2022 didn’t help.  The coin toss didn’t help.  

But if you really want to narrow it down to the biggest issue IMHO as why we have exited too early the last 4 seasons…it was because we were not winning the physicality battle and we weren’t winning enough in the trenches.  

Which is the same again 

2 hours ago, JohnNord said:

I’d completely agree with your point on physicality on both sides of the ball in 2021 and 2023.  But this past January the OL was decent with running the ball and protected Josh fairly well sans the missed throw to Shakir.

But the common denominator has been a failure to pressure the QB in the post season.  The numbers that Mahomes and Burrow put up on the defense in the postseason is disgusting and I think it starts with a lack of pass rush.   Whether it’s Mario Addison, Jerry Hughes, Greg Rosseau, Ed Oliver, or AJ Epinesa the Defensive Line has been invisible in the biggest moments.

The guy who was signed to be their “closer” has been hampered by injuries.   Again…crappy luck

We run the ball because of Josh threatening in the air. We have a base Nickle. This team is not designed to be physical and can’t be that way with the schemes and roster we have. Physical is a defense knowing the run is coming and not stopping it. The lack of pass rush also contributes to the lack of physicality. We are a smoke and mirrors team. 

Edited by Mikie2times
  • Dislike 1

13 seconds and poorly timed injuries in 2020, 2022, and 2023. That's what has caused the Bills to not have more success in the playoffs. One choke job and just bad injury luck has resulted in 4 playoff failures. The Bills time will come though... 

• Like (+1) 1

If one thing is true in the history of sports, it's that the BEST players know how to turn things up in the postseason/championships.  And the Bills are severely lacking in the number of game-changing superstars on the roster.

Josh Allen's first 6 years are among the best in NFL history for a Quarterback.  But statistically, he's even better in the playoffs.  Unfortunately, there isn't a single player on the offensive roster (outside of a single game from Gabe Davis) who you can say that about.  Our "superstar" receiver consistently disappeared in the playoffs every single year... outside of the emotional outbursts on the sideline and after our losses.

Very similar story on the defensive side.  

Brandon Beane has proven excellent at providing players who fit/mesh with Sean McDermott's scheme perfectly.  Regardless of injuries, we are always able to field a Top 5-10 unit during the regular season.  But when the elite QBs come around, we need more than a clever scheme.  We need our top players to step up and take over the game.  Especially rushing the passer.  And we can't do it.

In my opinion, Beane does realize the problem and has attempted to correct it.  After the 2020 championship loss, he went nuts and drafted Groot/Boogie back to back.  The next year, he broke the bank to get Von Miller.  He knows this team NEEDS an elite pass rusher for the postseason.  It just hasn't worked out yet.

With all that said, there is still a lot of luck involved.  Both in the regular season and postseason.  The Bills were 13 seconds away from winning in 2021.  The 2022 regular season game came down to a last minute Knox touchdown and Taron Johnson INT to win.  The 2023 regular season had the Kadarius Toney Offside.  Postseason we were a missed field goal away from tying.

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, 90sBills said:

If it works it’s magical. If it doesn’t it’s idiotic. There’s a fine, but well defined, line between the two scenarios. 

Yeah NFL football works exactly like poker. I’m looking forward to those multiple Super Bowl appearances in the next 5 years. 

Not sure if you're being sarcastic, but if so, you may be missing my point. Teams win or lose not strictly because of talent or will to win or greatness, despite what the talking heads will tell you. Luck plays a role, which has to do with probability. As long as they don't become a head case from the losing, a terrific team that has runs of bad luck will eventually start winning. 

2 hours ago, mjt328 said:

If one thing is true in the history of sports, it's that the BEST players know how to turn things up in the postseason/championships.  And the Bills are severely lacking in the number of game-changing superstars on the roster.

Josh Allen's first 6 years are among the best in NFL history for a Quarterback.  But statistically, he's even better in the playoffs.  Unfortunately, there isn't a single player on the offensive roster (outside of a single game from Gabe Davis) who you can say that about.  Our "superstar" receiver consistently disappeared in the playoffs every single year... outside of the emotional outbursts on the sideline and after our losses.

Very similar story on the defensive side.  

Brandon Beane has proven excellent at providing players who fit/mesh with Sean McDermott's scheme perfectly.  Regardless of injuries, we are always able to field a Top 5-10 unit during the regular season.  But when the elite QBs come around, we need more than a clever scheme.  We need our top players to step up and take over the game.  Especially rushing the passer.  And we can't do it.

In my opinion, Beane does realize the problem and has attempted to correct it.  After the 2020 championship loss, he went nuts and drafted Groot/Boogie back to back.  The next year, he broke the bank to get Von Miller.  He knows this team NEEDS an elite pass rusher for the postseason.  It just hasn't worked out yet.

With all that said, there is still a lot of luck involved.  Both in the regular season and postseason.  The Bills were 13 seconds away from winning in 2021.  The 2022 regular season game came down to a last minute Knox touchdown and Taron Johnson INT to win.  The 2023 regular season had the Kadarius Toney Offside.  Postseason we were a missed field goal away from tying.

very well stated on all parts. 100% agree. 

4 hours ago, Mikie2times said:

Which is the same again 

We run the ball because of Josh threatening in the air. We have a base Nickle. This team is not designed to be physical and can’t be that way with the schemes and roster we have. Physical is a defense knowing the run is coming and not stopping it. The lack of pass rush also contributes to the lack of physicality. We are a smoke and mirrors team. 

Yeah I think part of the problem was that Daboll and later Dorsey never really developed a run game.  When Dorsey tried to last season it was incredibly bland.

Brady seemed to have more success including in the AFC Divisional Game versus KC.  

In my opinion, I think releasing Morse was primarily about his contract and age.  But I also think they saw it as an opportunity to get more physical up front.  

1 hour ago, finn said:

Not sure if you're being sarcastic, but if so, you may be missing my point. Teams win or lose not strictly because of talent or will to win or greatness, despite what the talking heads will tell you. Luck plays a role, which has to do with probability. As long as they don't become a head case from the losing, a terrific team that has runs of bad luck will eventually start winning. 

I completely agree that luck does play a role. But unlike poker where pocket aces will beat pocket kings 8 out of 10 let’s say. So you know that even if the kings beat you a few times your aces will win in the long run because of probability.

In the NFL the Bills are not holding pocket aces. It’s not a constant like poker was my point. So multiple Super Bowl appearances in the next five years would be like drawing a 1 outer consecutive times in multiple sessions. It’s not happening because…probability. 

On 8/29/2024 at 10:48 PM, ganesh said:

Our pass rush has to get to Mahomes.  It is our weakest link on this defense when we are in the Playoffs.

That's definitely an issue. However, I think it's more than just a pass rush. Coaching, game planning, execution, game time adjustments, and a belief in winning are some other pertinent concerns. 

I'm mean look at last year's playoff game. We fans have been begging for a home playoff game vs the Chiefs. We finally got our wish only to be disappointed again. The chiefs certainly seemed ripe for the taking. Truthfully, I'm not sure what it will take for the Bills to beat KC. 

Edited by newcam2012

13 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Injuries have not helped.  Frazier garbage soft as Charmin playoff D did not help.  Not being able to run the ball most seasons has not helped.  Tragic and Traumatic events in 2022 didn’t help.  The coin toss didn’t help.  

But if you really want to narrow it down to the biggest issue IMHO as why we have exited too early the last 4 seasons…it was because we were not winning the physicality battle and we weren’t winning enough in the trenches.  

Agree. I'd add it's a myriad of circumstances that you have pointed out. There are so many variables known, unknown, expected, and unexpected. Injuries have been at the fore front of the negative results. Hate to sound like I'm making excuses but damn the injury bug for Buffalo has been huge. Yet, Mahomes can win it all on one leg. So frustrating. 

I think last year's oline was very good. Dare I say a strength of the team. I expect them to be above average this year. 

I have some reservations about the Bills pass rush. The familiar names need to really improve and perform on the big stage. A glimpse of old Von would be refreshing. 

In short, this season shapes up to be an interesting one. Seems like league expectations of the Bills are still high but they've come down a bit. We fans will always be loyal. 

• Agree 1

On 8/30/2024 at 6:17 PM, JohnNord said:

Some of this is true.  I remember John Brown and Duke Williams not coming up with receptions.  

But not sure how you can watch that game and not come away with the realization that Josh was pressing.   This is “Sugar High Josh”.  He was completely reckless.  His legs is what help take the game to OT.  

Had he just relaxed and taken what was given to him, rather than forcing the ball to Pat DiMarco or trying an horrible lateral to Dawson Knox late in the game.  

His fumbles and failure to generate points allowed Houston to climb back in.

To your point - I do believe that Josh and the entire team learned from this failure 

The game was lost when the defense allowed a 3rd and 17 by tacking the running back beyond 17 yards...That was soleley on our LB

On 8/29/2024 at 9:04 AM, Mikie2times said:

Now the reason for this playoff demise has to be KC right?

Ok, well then how do we explain....

-what the Bengals did to us in the divisional round?

-how other teams can slow Mahomes down with lower defensive rankings in the playoffs?

-what happens in the regular season vs KC?

Top line is Mahomes vs us in the regular season and the lower graph is Mahomes vs those teams in the playoffs

image.thumb.png.cfa45d2ace1a4dc13d671ddeb7feadad.png

Lets shift back to those DVOA rankings

-Winningest team in the NFL during this time

-Witch of a GM in Beane

The talent level has to be very high?

Those who vote for all pro's don't seem to think so.  This is 1st or 2nd team all pros as voted on by multiple publications since 2020.

image.png.01fa3d2153f357db473edd5b0f743931.png

-So we are among the best teams in football with one of the best GM's in football but our players aren't considered that great (which I somewhat agree with).

-Then our coach, who typically leads one of the best defenses in the NFL, with what appears to be players that are not the best, sucks in the postseason and has also earned a Marty like reputation (which I sort of agree with but more recently wonder more about our talent level) 

-We can handle KC in the regular season just fine but not the postseason.

-We are the most successful team in the NFL, but can't advance past the Wild Card

-All this is occurring with a hall of fame level QB who is among the more successful in the playoffs of all time 

Why do people think this is the profile of our team? To me, it has almost reached an obsessive level of analyzation because deep down I just don't trust this iteration of the Bills and I can't stand that I don't trust them. Something is not right and I don't think it is as simple as saying McD, defense, KC. It could be multiple things but I don't think it is possible that one thing can explain what is in this thread. 

HELP ME UNDERSTAND!

Yes, it's KC in the playoffs, that's right.

The Cincy game looked like the whole team being emotionally deadened by that bizarre season with Hamlin dying on the field, Knox's brother dying, the shooting at the supermarket, the dozens of deaths in the two terrible storms and on and on and on. One bad game. That's what it looked like and the Bills themselves said they just didn't have any juice, which isn't something they've ever said otherwise.

The Chiefs offense hasn't been stopped by much of anybody in the playoffs. That's why they've won three of the last five SBs. KC's offense has a history of performing like this, not too well until they need to, and then doing what needs to be done.

All Pros are not particularly a good measure of overall roster talent. It's a measure of how many elite players are on the team. That's only one particular way to look at talent.

The D does NOT suck in the postseason. Against everyone but KC they've been very good in the postseason. And again, not many teams have stopped that KC offense in the postseason.

You said it yourself. It's the inability to handle KC in the playoffs so far. That's the problem.

On 8/29/2024 at 9:08 AM, Augie said:

We got stuck behind the Chiefs and had a few very bad breaks. Like the rest of the NFL. That’s sports. 

Or put much more quickly and better ... this.

Pro football is unique among the major sports in that injuries are so much more prevalent than in baseball, basketball and hockey.  That’s one reason that no team has accomplished a Super Bowl three-peat.  Look at the Chiefs.  I don’t follow them very closely but they appear to have avoided major injuries in the last two Super Bowls.  In the game against TB, they were missing both starting OT’s and got absolutely smoked.