Bills Practice Squad Signings

Process

10 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Are you sure?  He was only active one game his rookie year as an UDFA.

Yes, I'm sure, otherwise I wouldn't have posted it.  Practice squad players pass through waivers, the Bills never waived Williams, players deactivated on Sundays are not on the practice squad.  So, here's my proof from the 1998 media guide page 121

" PRO: A young defensive tackle who made the team as a rookie free agent a year ago...has appeared in one career game on special teams...will battle for a roster spot in preseason and looks to make a greater contribution in'98.

1997: Signed with the Bills as a rookie free agent and made the team after a strong preseason...was on the 53 man roster for all 16 games...was deactivated for every contest except one...played in his only NFL game to date vs Den. (10/26) when he saw action on the kick return team. "

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Logic said:

WR Jalen Virgil now officially signed to the Bills practice squad, WR Deon Cain released to make room.

per Joe Buscaglia.

Thank god for the board they didn't release Hardy 😛

There were people really in on Cain too

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, stevewin said:

Thank god for the board they didn't release Hardy 😛

There were people really in on Cain too

Yeah I know it.

The Hardy one I get. Promising rookie who looks like he could be good depth on defense.

Cain was weird to me. Been around since 2019. 124 career receiving yards. I get that he looked good in spots this preseason but...yeesh.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

so....we could actually win the offseason??

Hmmmm... seems like someone should put a call in to Rex.

6 hours ago, Matt_In_NH said:

I was thinking about the PS the other day.  Since practice squaders count on the cap and are UFA's (can be signed to anyone's 53), why does there need to be a limit?  It does not seem like a competitive advantage/disadvantage...if you want 25 guys, great you have to pay them all.   If it was unlimited how many do you think teams would sign?  16 is a good number but clearly teams would more if they could get more, they could opt to have less than 16 but I think everyone uses the whole thing.

6 hours ago, Mat68 said:

Teams with more money have more players.  Creating an eventual advantage. 

Ed Zachary.

4 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

The league is a true meritocracy.  If a player is good enough to be a regular player in the league, it doesn't take very long for him to find his way onto the field somewhere. 

Pro sports is closer to a meritocracy than most industries.

Having played and followed sports for a long time I would not call it "true."

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Kurt Warner was never on a practice squad. 

32 teams didn't think he was good enough for the PS.  The point remains the same.  There are a lot of young players good enough for the NFL

not on teams.

• Like (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

32 teams didn't think he was good enough for the PS.  The point remains the same.  There are a lot of young players good enough for the NFL

not on teams.

Freddy Jackson was NFL Europe for 2 years, it takes time for guys!

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Freddy Jackson was NFL Europe for 2 years, it takes time for guys!

One thing for sure, for every 1st round bust who never really amounted to much, there are guys on the other end who have

exceeded expectations and go on to good NFL careers.  It's just math.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

not on teams.

People tend to think of football players like they are video game avatars. Assigned a number to define their capabilities. In reality players are people who may just be coached wrong.

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, stevewin said:

It's kinda like Hard Knocks where they choose a player to focus on and you get invested because that's the guy you see.

Through TC some media guys start tweeting about a certain player - and others jump on board - and then that is the guy that is in the "sights" of a lot of fans, with those fans having little or nothing else to go on (esp since preseason games can be hard/useless to asses with garbage QBs, scrub players etc).   At a camp practice there are tons of 1-1 reps, and no way to keep track at them all for all positions, but a media guy (or blogger) may tweet "Shavers with some good reps today" - even though for sure he had some bad ones too - and other guys had good reps too - maybe actually more.  Then more eyes are on him and a few more guys tweet Shavers with an up arrow, "Shavers with great contested catch!" etc. - and by the end of camp and after cuts fans are saying "I can't believe they cut Shavers - from all reports it sounded like he was having a great camp!"

It marvels me how every single year posters treat Pre-Season games like they're the regular season. In the end, they're practically meaningless. But every year, even some respected posters, get up and arms about some late round pick or UDFA not making the roster because they liked what they saw in a short sample size in nothing games.

If a player isn't winning over the coaches in meetings, showing flaws in Practice, aren't getting a grasp of the full playbook, and/or they've already got guys they like more for the number they're going to keep - a few good plays against other guys who are going to be cut in the second half of Pre-Season games means nothing. We aren't there every second of the day like the decision makers to see these things like they are.

These "Hard Knocks" stories, as you put it almost always have the same ending. We cut them, people fret over us not being able to get them back, and 99% of the time we do. Bc the league values them the same as our evaluators do.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

It marvels me how every single year posters treat Pre-Season games like they're the regular season. In the end, they're practically meaningless. But every year, even some respected posters, get up and arms about some late round pick or UDFA not making the roster because they liked what they saw in a short sample size in nothing games.

If a player isn't winning over the coaches in meetings, showing flaws in Practice, aren't getting a grasp of the full playbook, and/or they've already got guys they like more for the number they're going to keep - a few good plays against other guys who are going to be cut in the second half of Pre-Season games means nothing. We aren't there every second of the day like the decision makers to see these things like they are.

These "Hard Knocks" stories, as you put it almost always have the same ending. We cut them, people fret over us not being able to get them back, and 99% of the time we do. Bc the league values them the same as our evaluators do.

Pretty damn sure you're the fella at the holiday season table explaining to the youngsters that reindeer don't fly and Santa is an imaginary fat dwarf who couldn't possibly get down a chimney.

• Haha (+1) 1