Bills Practice Squad Signings

Process

16 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

I'm not arguing with you but what's the point of keeping one on the practice squad?  You can release Bass on Monday.  Sign one on Tuesday and have him kick that Sunday.

Yeah, it’s not like a kicker needs to know a playbook.

Kinda feel bad for Jonathan, seems like he might have been screwed out of a roster spot over Toohill with that rule incentivizing placing him on the PS. Joe Marino was saying that not only does the IPP rule allow the Bills to keep him for free on the PS, but he can't be poached unless he gets elevated more than 3 times I believe. But what a great move by Beane being able to keep both Toohill and Jonathan around while not even using a PS spot to do it. Makes way more sense why they kept Toohill now

Edited by 518Buffalo
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

I remember us being on him pre draft in 2022 and I think there was a good group of people who wanted to add him in that draft. I have no idea how his career has fared so far, but it's an interesting upside play. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown
  • Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, BobbyC81 said:

Yeah, it’s not like a kicker needs to know a playbook.

It would be helpful for a kicker to be able to kick in our facility routinely given the variable and interesting winds.

26 minutes ago, 518Buffalo said:

Kinda feel bad for Jonathan, seems like he might have been screwed out of a roster spot over Toohill with that rule incentivizing placing him on the PS. Joe Marino was saying that not only does the IPP rule allow the Bills to keep him for free on the PS, but he can't be poached unless he gets elevated more than 3 times I believe. But what a great move by Beane being able to keep both Toohill and Jonathan around while not even using a PS spot to do it. Makes way more sense why they kept Toohill now

If anyone else wanted Jonathan he could have gone there.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

28 minutes ago, 518Buffalo said:

Every team in the NFL could have claimed Jonathan and none did. Also, he did not have to sign with our practice squad if he didn’t want to.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I remember them being one him pre draft in 2022 and I think there was a good group of people who wanted to add him in that draft. I have no idea how his career has fared so far, but it's an interesting upside play. 

He wrecked his leg two years ago. Nasty compound fracture of his lower leg. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, BillsDiehard said:

Are there 17 PS spots or 16? WR Jalen Vidal is supposed to sign as well. Who's getting cut to fill 2 more spots?

16 spots.

Teams can carry one NFL pathways player which is exempt, so that would make 17

Gable Stevenson has not been signed to the PS

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, BillsDiehard said:

Are there 17 PS spots or 16? WR Jalen Vidal is supposed to sign as well. Who's getting cut to fill 2 more spots?

Yeah, it's 16 (not including Jonathan) so I'm guessing Vidal maybe has not actually signed. Either that or one of the players we already announced to have signed is getting cut.

Edited by DCOrange

10 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

Cuz he was solid but not spectacular in the preseason.

The P-Squad is full of unspectacular players every year.  The spectacular guys make the final 53.   

Yet despite the overflowing mediocrity of the p-squad, every year we fans will fall in love with one of those marginal guys while barely paying attention to the other marginal guys who weren't good enough to make the final roster.

I guess it's kind of like going to the animal shelter and falling in love with one particular puppy that nobody else wanted to adopt.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I remember us being on him pre draft in 2022 and I think there was a good group of people who wanted to add him in that draft. I have no idea how his career has fared so far, but it's an interesting upside play. 

I followed him while he played at UGA, great athlete, big safety, first round pick. Had a bad leg fracture in 2022 in London with lengthy rehab - was stuck in a crowded S room in Minn

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I agree. It is now. With the elevation rules and the allowing of vested vets the Practice Squad is an extension of your roster. It matters more than it used to. Is it something for people to freak out about, no, but it isn't a complete irrelevance these days in the way you could argue it was say a decade ago. 

Right.  It has been a necessary change as the season expands from 16 to 17 to 18 games.  Teams just need more players and more flexibility in order to manage injuries. It allows for much more continuity of play during the season, because teams now are able to have quality players who have been working within the system, ready to take over when guys go down. At the same time it allows players who aren't on the 53-man roster the ability to move to other teams if those teams are willing to elevate them. Essentially, the system makes it easier to manage the teams and still supports the goal of parity. Teams can't hoard players, because the players on the practice squad are always free to move.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

14 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

The P-Squad is full of unspectacular players every year.  The spectacular guys make the final 53.   

Yet despite the overflowing mediocrity of the p-squad, every year we fans will fall in love with one of those marginal guys while barely paying attention to the other marginal guys who weren't good enough to make the final roster.

I guess it's kind of like going to the animal shelter and falling in love with one particular puppy that nobody else wanted to adopt.

Mostly true, and we don’t know exactly what we have in these guys, but Alec Anderson, Ryan Van Demark and Ja’Marcus Ingram are all guys we developed on the PS, who are now 53 guys. 

And it seems now, more than ever (or maybe it’s just confirmation bias) teams are calling up PS guys all year due to injury. 

Richard Gouraige and Mike Edwards strike me as guys who could compete for the 53 next year, especially if we let Spencer Brown walk and perhaps Van Demark & Grable are competing for that spot. 

I also like having vets in KJ Hamler & Kareem Jackson on the PS just in case .. baseline level guys at uncertain positions, who we can play, if needed, and expect them to at least be competent out there. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, MrEpsYtown said:

From what I could gather online just now, Cine's time in Minnesota went roughly like this:

Unable to claim a starting spot as a rookie, he was playing special teams in London when he suffered a compound fracture in his leg that ended his year.

Last year, after recovering from the leg fracture, he oscillated between missing games due to a lingering hamstring injury and just being a straight up healthy scratch.

It sounds as though he never quite gelled with Brian Flores, and never quite stepped up and claimed a starting defensive spot the way the Vikings clearly hoped he would when they drafted him.

Reading between the lines with Vikings fans and reporters a bit, it sounds as though maybe Cine's work ethic and will to be great were somewhat in question. Knowing there have been recent publicly discussed issues with Brian Flores and his way of, um...motivating and connecting with players, I'm at least slightly wondering if there's more to it than simply "Cine didn't want it badly enough".

In any case...Everything about Cine's history in the NFL so far screams "in need of a fresh start and a change of scenery".

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

29 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

Many will play this year.  Know them now so you are not surprised latter.  Some are develop only, some are contractual. Either way an injury occurs these are the replacements.     

• Like (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

@hondo in seattle This is, perhaps, my favorite post of the preseason, thus far. Many of us are a bunch of dumbstruck puppy-eye-spellbound ninnies, fawning over the top of the scrapheap. So accurate.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, hondo in seattle said:

It's kinda like Hard Knocks where they choose a player to focus on and you get invested because that's the guy you see.

Through TC some media guys start tweeting about a certain player - and others jump on board - and then that is the guy that is in the "sights" of a lot of fans, with those fans having little or nothing else to go on (esp since preseason games can be hard/useless to asses with garbage QBs, scrub players etc).   At a camp practice there are tons of 1-1 reps, and no way to keep track at them all for all positions, but a media guy (or blogger) may tweet "Shavers with some good reps today" - even though for sure he had some bad ones too - and other guys had good reps too - maybe actually more.  Then more eyes are on him and a few more guys tweet Shavers with an up arrow, "Shavers with great contested catch!" etc. - and by the end of camp and after cuts fans are saying "I can't believe they cut Shavers - from all reports it sounded like he was having a great camp!"

Edited by stevewin
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3