Bills Practice Squad Signings

Process

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Me too. I am also surprised by Toohill over Jonathan even though I know Jonathan had a mixed summer and was probably on the bubble. If they'd kept five ends and used that spot on another position I wouldn't have been at all surprised. For Toohill who has been hurt and looked rough on Saturday to jump him surprises me. 

They either felt really comfortable with the idea of losing him on waivers or knew he wouldn't be claimed. 

I know we've viewed Jonathan as a developmental piece in the past, but he's 26 now and only 1.5 years younger than Toohill. Toohill has managed to produce (albeit in a limited role) in the NFL - my sense is the clock just ran out on waiting for that theoretical upside. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

26 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

I am still pretty surprised by the Daequan Hardy decision. 

19 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Me too. I am also surprised by Toohill over Jonathan even though I know Jonathan had a mixed summer and was probably on the bubble. If they'd kept five ends and used that spot on another position I wouldn't have been at all surprised. For Toohill who has been hurt and looked rough on Saturday to jump him surprises me. 

I think if they weren't so deep at CB Hardy would have made the 53...but they were clearly panicking about not having a trustworthy return man when Hardy kept catching punts inside his 10 and Hamler was fumbling and bumbling.

Definitely think Hardy has a future in this league, and perhaps with the Bills.

18 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I'm satisfied with the PS with the exception of signing a PK.  Lots of eggs in the BASSket.

Just want to comment on where Beane is with $s.

Spotrac has it $4.1M with all contracts (not top 51).  That just covers the PS.

He should get a million or more back once he does some IR injury settlements with guys they don't want to keep on IR.

It's pretty tight right now.  As the season goes on, he may have to dip into that Josh Allen reserve.

Now we know why that hasn't been done yet.

• Eyeroll 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Process said:

It's the right move.  The last thing you want to do when someone is struggling with confidence is have a guy in the waiting to take your job.  Plus, if Bass struggles just cut him and sign a kicker.  Keeping one on the practice squad doesn't make sense.

• Agree 3

11 minutes ago, ngbills said:

It is interesting to me how teams bring back like 99% of their own guys. Like no other team has players better than the ones they invited and then cut. 

Teams are more likely to target their own cuts because they already know the scheme, playbook, etc. Plus they are often draft picks or UDFA's that they want to continue to develop. And players are more likely to accept because they are already comfortable with the organization, their teammates, dont need to move, etc. Its a win/win.

Edited by MJS
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

It's the right move.  The last thing you want to do when someone is struggling with confidence is have a guy in the waiting to take your job.  Plus, if Bass struggles just cut him and sign a kicker.  Keeping one on the practice squad doesn't make sense.

Doc this is the NFL which stands for Not-For-Long.

Bills need to win games, not care about Bass's feelings.

If Bass can't stand the heat he needs to get out of the kitchen !

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Only surprise is no LB’s, especially when we had to pull one off his couch to cover Kelce in the playoffs last year.  

I'm guessing Spector moves to PS once Milano is activated. I think that's just due in part to have more Linebackers on active roster than other positions.

Listening to Beane it appears the all encompassing comment that describes the ‘24 Bills going into the Regular Season….” I like the depth and due to circumstances we’ll be learning on the fly.” 

This same quote applies to:

Wide Receiver 

Linebacker

Secondary 

And so, away we go! 

35 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

This is what Joe Buscaglia said about it on the athletic:

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5727393/2024/08/27/buffalo-bills-2024-initial-53-man-roster-plus-analysis/

Defensive end (6)

Greg Rousseau, A.J. Epenesa, Dawuane Smoot, Von Miller, Javon Solomon, Casey Toohill

The top four of Rousseau, Epenesa, Smoot and Miller were all locks, with the rookie Solomon joining them after showing some real pass-rushing potential. Solomon made Kingsley Jonathan expendable, as the sixth defensive end had to offer special teams upside. Jonathan had made strides in that area, but Toohill is the more consistent player in that department. I’d expect the Bills to try and get both Jonathan and Cline back on the practice squad if they clear waivers.

• Thank you (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, MJS said:

Teams are more likely to target their own cuts because they already know the scheme, playbook, etc. Plus they are often draft picks or UDFA's that they want to continue to develop. And players are more likely to accept because they are already comfortable with the organization, their teammates, dont need to move, etc. Its a win/win.

It also shows the bottom of the roster isn't filled with game-changers like some people like to think some bottom-roster guys are - if you're keeping a fringe player might as well keep one that you already know (have scouted and presumably brought in for a reason) since there's not going to be a huge difference between your fringe guys and the fringe guys on other teams (that you don't know that well)

Edited by stevewin
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1