Bills Practice Squad Signings

Process

17 hours ago, Maynard said:

Was in a grocery line bagging those goods up. 

Yep.  Warner wasn't even deemed good enough to be on a practice squad.  He was only good enough to stock the shelves where the practice squad players bought their groceries.  It's an amazing story.

Sometimes scouts and coaches get things wrong, though it remains true that the vast majority of p-squad players don't become impact players.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, hondo in seattle said:

Yep.  Warner wasn't even deemed good enough to be on a practice squad.  He was only good enough to stock the shelves where the practice squad players bought their groceries.  It's an amazing story.

Sometimes scouts and coaches get things wrong, though it remains true that the vast majority of p-squad players don't become impact players.  

If you look at the QB room of the Packers in 1994 I think they had Favre, Warner, Aaron Brooks and Ty Dettmer all at the same time.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

If you look at the QB room of the Packers in 1994 I think they had Favre, Warner, Aaron Brooks and Ty Dettmer all at the same time.

No Brooks, but Mark Brunell.

• Like (+1) 1

Back to the PS discussion. Have to say I like these last three signings, cheap development players with injury or other issues that have masked their potential. The new safety really fits the Beane/McDermott “coach up  physically talented raw player” not saying he is a future starter or will even see playing time but if anyone is going to coach up a Safety it’s the Bills.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Starr-Bills said:

Back to the PS discussion. Have to say I like these last three signings, cheap development players with injury or other issues that have masked their potential. The new safety really fits the Beane/McDermott “coach up  physically talented raw player” not saying he is a future starter or will even see playing time but if anyone is going to coach up a Safety it’s the Bills.

I love the Lewis Cine signing!! This one could really pay off!! I agree with you that McD can coach up safeties!! 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, vtnatefootball11 said:

Can we get the first page update to include the full, current list? Kind of defeats the purpose of pinning this thread otherwise.

Yes and I would be in favor of a mod doing this if the OP ghosts the topic.

It’s for the good of the community and an example of when moderator intervention would be justified.

• Agree 1

Thought this was interesting.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/ranking-top-10-nfl-practice-squad-classes-lions-eagles-bills-lead-the-way/

3. Buffalo Bills

QB Mike White, RB Frank Gore Jr., WR K.J. Hamler, WR Tyrell Shavers, TE Zach Davidson, OL Richard Gouraige, OL Will Clapp, OL Mike Edwards, DE Kingsley Jonathan (International Pathway Program), DE Kameron Cline, DT Eli Ankou, DT Branson Deen, CB Daequan Hardy, CB Te'Cory Couch, S Kareem Jackson, S Lewis Cine, WR Jalen Virgril

Cine is incredibly compelling for many reasons -- firstly, he's played 10 regular-season snaps in the NFL. He's also still a freaky talent at 6-2 and 200 pounds with 4.37 speed which we can assume is fully back now two years removed from his rookie-year knee-ligament tear. And he's playing for his Georgia defensive backs coach, Jahmile Addae in Buffalo. 

Gore Jr. was arguably the best workhorse back during the preseason with a hefty 3.09 yards after contact per rush average along with three runs of 10-plus yards on 33 attempts in August. Shavers and Davidson are two sizable athletes at receiver at tight end, and Gouraige, a collegiate teammate of starting right guard O'Cyrus Torrence, has developed nicely at the swing tackle position. He only surrendered two pressures on 47 pass-blocking snaps this preseason. 

Hardy is an ultra-explosive slot cornerback with plus instincts and return talent, and White has a live arm as an emergency quarterback. Jackson is a long-time hard-hitting veteran at safety with coverage chops underneath and at the intermediate level. 

Cbs needs a better editor.  Cine has played 10 NFL games not just 10 snaps. 

That said, I agree with their overall comments.  

The International designation for Jonathan is really smart on Beane’s part.  Nice way to add a 17th PS player.  Many of these guys have NFL experience.  I can see Gouraige making the team as a backup in a year.  I can also see Cine making the Bills by mid-season. I saw him often in college and he is a terrific athlete.  If McD and Addae can get him back to the player we saw in Georgia, we have gained a future starter for nothing.

Edited by GASabresIUFan
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFan said:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/ranking-top-10-nfl-practice-squad-classes-lions-eagles-bills-lead-the-way/

The International designation for Jonathan is really smart on Beane’s part.  Nice way to add a 17th PS player.  Many of these guys have NFL experience.  I can see Gouraige making the team as a backup in a year.  I can also see Cine making the Bills by mid-season. I saw him often in college and he is a terrific athlete.  If McD and Addae can get him back to the player we saw in Georgia, we have gained a future starter for nothing.

and Gouraige, a collegiate teammate of starting right guard O'Cyrus Torrence, has developed nicely at the swing tackle position. He only surrendered two pressures on 47 pass-blocking snaps this preseason. 

I had no idea that Gouraige played that well during the preseason.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, first_and_ten said:

I love the Lewis Cine signing!! This one could really pay off!! I agree with you that McD can coach up safeties!! 

Yeah this feels like a potential long term answer at safety if he can stay healthy 

• Like (+1) 2

37 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

and Gouraige, a collegiate teammate of starting right guard O'Cyrus Torrence, has developed nicely at the swing tackle position. He only surrendered two pressures on 47 pass-blocking snaps this preseason. 

I had no idea that Gouraige played that well during the preseason.

There was some talk on the a few podcasts and other articles how close he was to making the roster this year.  Between Kromer on the O Line and McD with DBs we certainly know how to develop players at those positions.

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFan said:

They make those sites impossible to navigate with the amount of pop ups and ads

8 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

Pretty damn sure you're the fella at the holiday season table explaining to the youngsters that reindeer don't fly and Santa is an imaginary fat dwarf who couldn't possibly get down a chimney.

I mean, if you're saying grown adults that treat 20 something reps in nothing Pre-Season games as the be all, end all of roster building are akin to little kids believing in Santa Claus - sure. 

29 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

I mean, if you're saying grown adults that treat 20 something reps in nothing Pre-Season games as the be all, end all of roster building are akin to little kids believing in Santa Claus - sure. 

It's just a joke, fella.

13 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

Warner's team was filled with super stars and a great OL.  Better players don't succeed due to where they get drafted/signed and the team they go to.  Many of the top QBs get let go because they were in a team devoid of talent...

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, ganesh said:

Warner's team was filled with super stars and a great OL.  Better players don't succeed due to where they get drafted/signed and the team they go to.  Many of the top QBs get let go because they were in a team devoid of talent...

My wild theory. I think Mac Jones could run that Shannahan offense as well as Purdy and Tua. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 3