Bills Practice Squad Signings

Process

32 minutes ago, ganesh said:

Warner's team was filled with super stars and a great OL.  Better players don't succeed due to where they get drafted/signed and the team they go to.  Many of the top QBs get let go because they were in a team devoid of talent...

Warner was tremendous throughout his career.  He led the Cardinals to the Super Bowl and almost beat an excellent Steelers team.  He couldn't run, but was tough smart a great leader and had tremendous accuracy.  I loved watching him play.  An all time great.  And don't forget when he played, the hits on QB's were much more violent.  Toughness was always a huge quality needed to be a top QB.  Now its not even discussed.  Seems weird today.  But violence in the NFL was actually exulted and encouraged back in the day.  

• Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

Warner was tremendous throughout his career.  He led the Cardinals to the Super Bowl and almost beat an excellent Steelers team.  He couldn't run, but was tough smart a great leader and had tremendous accuracy.  I loved watching him play.  An all time great.  And don't forget when he played, the hits on QB's were much more violent.  Toughness was always a huge quality needed to be a top QB.  Now its not even discussed.  Seems weird today.  But violence in the NFL was actually exulted and encouraged back in the day.  

The question was not about Warner having a tremendous career.  It was more about how did he go from a packing groceries to a NFL Super Bowl MVP.  I believe that Rams team was loaded on Offense and Defense. 

• Vomit 1

8 hours ago, ganesh said:

The question was not about Warner having a tremendous career.  It was more about how did he go from a packing groceries to a NFL Super Bowl MVP.  I believe that Rams team was loaded on Offense and Defense. 

Dick Vermeil.

• Like (+1) 2

On 8/30/2024 at 12:58 PM, GASabresIUFan said:

Thought this was interesting.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/ranking-top-10-nfl-practice-squad-classes-lions-eagles-bills-lead-the-way/

Cbs needs a better editor.  Cine has played 10 NFL games not just 10 snaps. 

That said, I agree with their overall comments.  

The International designation for Jonathan is really smart on Beane’s part.  Nice way to add a 17th PS player.  Many of these guys have NFL experience.  I can see Gouraige making the team as a backup in a year.  I can also see Cine making the Bills by mid-season. I saw him often in college and he is a terrific athlete.  If McD and Addae can get him back to the player we saw in Georgia, we have gained a future starter for nothing.

Agreed on Johnathan. Seems like a calculated move, combined with putting Clayton on non-return IR. 

16 hours ago, ganesh said:

All good teams are loaded with good players.  The Rams had Faulk, Holt, Bruce and the slot receiver Aziz something.  And even Ricky Proehl who was a good receiver.  I don't remember their defense very well.  But I am sure they were good.  That should not diminish how good Kurt Warner was.  He threw a sweet ball effortlessly.

And Dick Vermeil was a very good coach.  The Rams-Titans Super Bowl was great.  

• Like (+1) 5

15 hours ago, Doc said:

It would have been interesting to see if Trent Green would have won them a SB.

Trent was a pretty decent QB before Rodney Harrison blew his knee out (in PRESEASON !!)

IIRC he even looked pretty good a couple seasons later when he came in for an injured Kurt Warner and won them some games.

• Agree 1

On 8/29/2024 at 11:11 PM, PromoTheRobot said:

People tend to think of football players like they are video game avatars. Assigned a number to define their capabilities. In reality players are people who may just be coached wrong.

Zay Jones was an example - Coach McD dumped Rex Ryan's WR coach (who by WR and reporter comments did a very good job) and signed Phil McGeoghan from Eastern Carolina who was in and out of NFL coaching staffs on regular basis.  He recommended Bills draft Jones.  He does not have skill to elevate WRs and Jones looked worse than in college.  Phil McGeoghan was canned after one year and Jones was traded to Raiders, played better and then got 3 year/$24 contract from Jaguars.  Zay Jones had capabilities to be developed but he needed better coaching.

• Like (+1) 3

I didn't know where else to put this, but I recall people being upset that the Bills didn't take Brendan Rice over the English OL.  I looked at his stats for pre-season and he was targeted 12 times...and had 1 reception for 11 yards.  And he made the team.  A favor to Jerry?

On 8/31/2024 at 9:43 AM, vincec said:

Dick Vermeil.

Dick Vermeil wasn't the one throwing dimes 50 yards downfield under pressure. Warner was great because the game moved slower for him. He could make all the reads and throw people open with anticipation in 3 seconds or less. That, and his arm had all the attributes to make every throw - quick release, touch, accuracy, and strength. When you watch his breakdown videos, he's always criticizing QBs for missing "open" reads - I think a lot of NFL QBs just can't see those receivers as being open the way he could. Just watch his tape next to Tyrod Taylor's and you'll see what I mean. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, skibum said:

Dick Vermeil wasn't the one throwing dimes 50 yards downfield under pressure. Warner was great because the game moved slower for him. He could make all the reads and throw people open with anticipation in 3 seconds or less. That, and his arm had all the attributes to make every throw - quick release, touch, accuracy, and strength. When you watch his breakdown videos, he's always criticizing QBs for missing "open" reads - I think a lot of NFL QBs just can't see those receivers as being open the way he could. Just watch his tape next to Tyrod Taylor's and you'll see what I mean. 

I wish Kurt would do film work with Josh during the offseason.

• Agree 1

On 8/30/2024 at 11:24 PM, Low Positive said:

My wild theory. I think Mac Jones could run that Shannahan offense as well as Purdy and Tua. 

You're just 'kissing up' so you get your share of 📯🌟MJ🏈10🌟📯 ™️©️®️ official merchandise.

😉😁

• Simon unpinned this topic