Bills Practice Squad Signings

Process

11 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

It's funny how we get enamored with some p-squad players and ignore others.   

For example, why isn't Te'Cory Couch not getting any love?  

Hardy was the only guy I thought they made a mistake cutting because he looked like a good CB prospect.  Glad it worked out.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

6 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

Listening to Beane it appears the all encompassing comment that describes the ‘24 Bills going into the Regular Season….” I like the depth and due to circumstances we’ll be learning on the fly.” 

This same quote applies to:

Wide Receiver 

Linebacker

Secondary 

And so, away we go! 

That's an interesting quote.  Beane essentially admitting what many people have been saying here for months:  The Bills are short on proven players, and how far they go will depend on whether some guys can step up.  

Edited by Shaw66
  • Like (+1) 5

7 minutes ago, Doc said:

Hardy was the only guy I thought they made a mistake cutting because he looked like a good CB prospect.  Glad it worked out.

Beane's presser explained why it shouldn't have been surprising. They drafted him strictly for his return ability, and repeatedly fielding punts inside the five yard line led them to question his decision making.

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, buffblue said:

Beane's presser explained why it shouldn't have been surprising. They drafted him strictly for his return ability, and repeatedly fielding punts inside the five yard line led them to question his decision making.

I get that and if that's all he'd shown (or more precisely, not shown) I wouldn't have said a word, figuring there was a reason he was taken in the 6th round.  But every analysis of him I've seen has said he's been playing CB at a surprisingly high level.

35 minutes ago, Doc said:

I get that and if that's all he'd shown (or more precisely, not shown) I wouldn't have said a word, figuring there was a reason he was taken in the 6th round.  But every analysis of him I've seen has said he's been playing CB at a surprisingly high level.

I'm asking because I honestly don't recall: Who was he covering?  Because if he was covering a 4.8 wideout who was later cut, it's not that impressive.  Beane said - unsurprisingly - that one thing they look at is who the guy is playing against. 

Edited by hondo in seattle

5 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

I'm asking because I honest don't recall: Who was he covering?  Because if he was covering a 4.8 wideout who was later cut, it's not that impressive.  Beane said - unsurprisingly - that one thing they look at is who the guy is playing against.  

There was never any mention of who specifically, just that he was playing well.  In any case, good to see he made it to the PS.  Hopefully he can become something.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

I'm asking because I honest don't recall: Who was he covering?  Because if he was covering a 4.8 wideout who was later cut, it's not that impressive.  Beane said - unsurprisingly - that one thing they look at is who the guy is playing against.  

He was covering the Steelers starters in game 2 and he had reps against the Panthers 1s. It seems they were less impressed with his DB play than fans were. Add in the # of DVs they kept and you see the reasoning 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, hondo in seattle said:

It's funny how we get enamored with some p-squad players and ignore others.   

For example, why isn't Te'Cory Couch getting any love?  

Cuz he was solid but not spectacular in the preseason.

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

That's an interesting quote.  Beane essentially admitting what many people have been saying here for months:  The Bills are short on proven players, and how far they go will depend on whether some guys can step up.  

I watched the presser, it wasn’t meant that way at all. He was talking about the injuries at LB and at Safety and the offense and said unfortunately a lot of guys didn’t get time in the preseason to get reps because of that. He said these players will have to learn on the fly in the regular season unfortunately 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

I'm not arguing with you but what's the point of keeping a kicker on the practice squad?  You can release Bass on Monday.  Sign one on Tuesday and have him kick that Sunday.

To evaluate him more closely to try to ensure you're making the right decision.

7 hours ago, I'm Spartacus said:

Hope Toohill ends up being better than Trent Murphy was. That was a Beane bust!

As you suggest they do have a lot in common. Both Murphy and Toohill played at Stanford and both spent the bulk of their careers (4 seasons each) with the Washington Football Team.

Physically they're also very comparable with Toohill having generally better measurables:

Murphy 6'6" 260 lbs  33 7/8" arms  forty: 4.86  10 yd split: 1.65  bench press: 19 reps  vertical: 35.5" broad jump: 9'10"  

Toohill   6'5" 255 lbs  33 1/2" arms  forty: 4.62  10 yd split: 1.59  bench press: 17 reps  vertical: 39"    broad jump: 10'6"  

Murphy was a more highly-rated recruit and had a more decorated college career and was drafted in the 2nd round.

Toohill was drafted in the 7th round.

In 86 career games (57 starts) Murphy had 26 career sacks.

In 57 career games (14 starts) Toohill has 7 sacks including 5 in 8 starts last year.

I'm thinking Beane's gonna get much greater value with Toohill than he did with Murphy. 

10 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

The Practice Squad is an expansion of the 53-player roster.  If the roster was allowing 55, 2 of the PS players would be on the main roster.

The bubble players on the PS are in essence no different than the last couple of players to make the squad.

I see no reason to lessen their importance.

I agree. It is now. With the elevation rules and the allowing of vested vets the Practice Squad is an extension of your roster. It matters more than it used to. Is it something for people to freak out about, no, but it isn't a complete irrelevance these days in the way you could argue it was say a decade ago. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I agree. It is now. With the elevation rules and the allowing of vested vets the Practice Squad is an extension of your roster. It matters more than it used to. Is it something for people to freak out about, no, but it isn't a complete irrelevance these days in the way you could argue it was say a decade ago. 

I liked it better when it was called the Taxi Squad.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, todd said:

Now THAT I'd watch!

I genuinely would watch it. Maybe that makes me sad, but those end of roster decisions are always fascinating to me. I understand the people who say "don't care, has very little impact on the W-L record" I get that. But roster construction and the decisions that underpin it are part of what makes the NFL so interesting.

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Me too. I am also surprised by Toohill over Jonathan even though I know Jonathan had a mixed summer and was probably on the bubble. If they'd kept five ends and used that spot on another position I wouldn't have been at all surprised. For Toohill who has been hurt and looked rough on Saturday to jump him surprises me. 

Maybe he learned what Chris Kelsay did to stay with the Bills for so long and even get salary increases.

16 hours ago, NeverOutNick said:

Sounds like will clapp was the last guy cut according to Beane 

So, we got rid of the Clapp, but it’s back.

Edited by BobbyC81
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1