Justin Shorter WR

balln

12 minutes ago, balln said:

Just a true fanboy disappointed expecting beane magic to make this dk metcalf body into a real WR.

And this year he took a former QB that made a late switch to OT where his college tape was messy to awful, but had elite physical traits, and that player is possibly already the 3rd best OT on the roster. I will never be mad at throwing darts at physical traits on day three. There's nothing to be disappointed about. Most 5th round picks don't even make it their entire rookie contract on the same roster.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

On 8/28/2024 at 6:51 PM, balln said:

We just don’t have any impact players

Since when? Besides Allen, what about Cook, Kincaid, Shakir, Dawkins, Torrence, Benard, Rousseau, Oliver, Douglas, T Johnson and Benford to name 11.  Cook was third in scrimmage yards by a RB and a pro-bowl player.  Shakir had the highest number of chunk plays per target of any receiver with at least 600 yards last season, even better than T Hill.  His 15.7 yards per catch lead all slot receivers and was 12th overall in the NFL.  T Johnson is the best slot corner in the NFL and an All-Pro.  Oliver was 4th in sacks by a DT last season with 9.5.  Bernard was 12th in tackles in the NFL with 143 as a 1st year starter.  I can keep going if you want?  We have plenty of impact players.  

Edited by GASabresIUFan
  • Vomit 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, BobbyC81 said:

Taking a WR in the 5th round from a lower level school who doesn’t have impressive college football stats decreases the chances.

Except Shorter didn't go to a lower school.  He went to Penn St and Florida.  He averaged 14.7 yards per catch in his 3 seasons in Florida with almost 1400 yards on 95 catches. He is also 6'5" 228 and was once a 5* recruit out of high school.  This was not some nobody.

I personally wouldn't have drafted him because I tend to avoid Gators, but Shorter was a legit risk with a late round pick.

42 minutes ago, GASabresIUFan said:

Since when? Besides Allen, what about Cook, Kincaid, Shakir, Dawkins, Torrence, Benard, Rousseau, Oliver, Douglas, T Johnson and Benford to name 11.  Cook was third in scrimmage yards by a RB and a pro-bowl player.  Shakir had the highest number of chunk plays per target of any receiver with at least 600 yards last season, even better than T Hill.  His 15.7 yards per catch lead all slot receivers and was 12th overall in the NFL.  T Johnson is the best slot corner in the NFL and an All-Pro.  Oliver was 4th in sacks by a DT last season with 9.  Bernard was 12th in tackles in the NFL with 143 as a 1st year starter.  I can keep going if you want?  We have plenty of impact players.  

But he whiffed on a 5th rounder. That really offsets this other stuff...

• Like (+1) 1

Shorter was “looks like Tarzan plays like Jane” throughout college. But missing in a 5th is NBD.
Missing on Basham, Elam, Moss and Epenesa really hurts.

Having this year’s cap tied up in Diggs, Miller, Milano, Bass, Martin is why this is a rebuild.

Having Josh is why Beane will be around to bounce back next year.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Why is Shorter even on the Practice Squad? Two bites at the apple and he is no farther along.  This year was his golden opportunity; only 1 out of 5 receivers was around last year. Pfff. Time to move on. He can’t even stay on the field in games that don’t matter. Hey McBeane snag a PS prospect from the rams, or the 49ers, teams that consistently draft receivers who actually play in the nfl. 

24 minutes ago, Jimmy Harris 69 said:

Why is Shorter even on the Practice Squad? Two bites at the apple and he is no farther along.  This year was his golden opportunity; only 1 out of 5 receivers was around last year. Pfff. Time to move on. He can’t even stay on the field in games that don’t matter. Hey McBeane snag a PS prospect from the rams, or the 49ers, teams that consistently draft receivers who actually play in the nfl. 

He’s not.

• Haha (+1) 1

10 hours ago, HappyDays said:

And this year he took a former QB that made a late switch to OT where his college tape was messy to awful, but had elite physical traits, and that player is possibly already the 3rd best OT on the roster. I will never be mad at throwing darts at physical traits on day three. There's nothing to be disappointed about. Most 5th round picks don't even make it their entire rookie contract on the same roster.

Completely right. It was always a low percentage dart but if it landed you were hitting the bullseye. There should always be space in your draft for a risk or two like that. I slightly disagree with Grable's college tape though. I hadn't watched him pre-draft (despite my spies at the Shrine Game saying he was a practice standout all week). But when I went back post draft and found some 2023 UCF tape.... he was pretty good especially in pass pro. Previous years I didn't get into and with the late transition to tackle (he tried QB and TE before landing at tackle) very possible they were messy. It's hard to grade objectively after the fact but I think had I watched him pre-draft I'd have had higher than a 6th round grade on him. If he hits there are going to be a lot of teams asking their scouts how they missed on him. 

• Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, WeckMonster said:

Shorter was “looks like Tarzan plays like Jane” throughout college. But missing in a 5th is NBD.
Missing on Basham, Elam, Moss and Epenesa really hurts.

Having this year’s cap tied up in Diggs, Miller, Milano, Bass, Martin is why this is a rebuild.

Having Josh is why Beane will be around to bounce back next year.

We didn't miss on Moss... you do realize that he is now the starter for the Bengals, right?

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

We didn't miss on Moss... you do realize that he is now the starter for the Bengals, right?

We wasted the 86th pick on a guy that did nothing for us.

And rushed for barely over 1k yards in his first 3 years combined.

Then ‘broke out’ with a mediocre season for a non playoff team.

You can find Zach Mosses in every draft in the 5th round or later. Or on someone’s practice squad.

• Like (+1) 2

On 8/28/2024 at 8:35 PM, GASabresIUFan said:

Since when? Besides Allen, what about Cook, Kincaid, Shakir, Dawkins, Torrence, Benard, Rousseau, Oliver, Douglas, T Johnson and Benford to name 11.  Cook was third in scrimmage yards by a RB and a pro-bowl player.  Shakir had the highest number of chunk plays per target of any receiver with at least 600 yards last season, even better than T Hill.  His 15.7 yards per catch lead all slot receivers and was 12th overall in the NFL.  T Johnson is the best slot corner in the NFL and an All-Pro.  Oliver was 4th in sacks by a DT last season with 9.  Bernard was 12th in tackles in the NFL with 143 as a 1st year starter.  I can keep going if you want?  We have plenty of impact players.  

Your definition of “impact players” is pretty liberal TBH … IMO, an impact player is a player that opponents have to game plan for. Nobody you listed keeps opposing OCs/DCs awake at night. 

5 minutes ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

Your definition of “impact players” is pretty liberal TBH … IMO, an impact player is a player that opponents have to game plan for. Nobody you listed keeps opposing OCs/DCs awake at night. 

Your definition is so subjective as to be useless.   How do you quantify it?   The player has to be an all-pro or pro-bowler?  Well T Johnson is an all-pro and Dawkins and Cook were pro bowlers last year.  Are you seriously saying an interior D lineman (Oliver) with 9.5 sacks last season wasn't an impact player?  Are you saying that our O Line, lead by Dawkins, which allowed the fewest sacks in the NFL didn't make an impact?  

So when Shakir goes over 1000 yards this season will you call him an impact player, or will you wait until ESPN or some other media outlet labels him as one?

5 hours ago, GASabresIUFan said:

Your definition is so subjective as to be useless.   How do you quantify it?   The player has to be an all-pro or pro-bowler?  Well T Johnson is an all-pro and Dawkins and Cook were pro bowlers last

year.  Are you seriously saying an interior D lineman (Oliver) with 9.5 sacks last season wasn't an impact player?  Are you saying that our O Line, lead by Dawkins, which allowed the fewest sacks in the NFL didn't make an impact?  

So when Shakir goes over 1000 yards this season will you call him an impact player, or will you wait until ESPN or some other media outlet labels him as one?

Impact players are top-5 in the NFL at their position...Meaning they are in the top 15% of their position.    These are folks who impact the outcome of a game.  We have Josh Allen on offense and used to have Milano on defense who did exactly that.  We also used to have Diggs on offense in previous years.  

Dawkins and Oliver are good players but have not made the impact that you get from a Bosa or TJ Watt.    Typically All-Pro players are impactful players.....pro bowlers not so much. 

If opposing defense has to game plan against Shakir this season and he still catches passes then he definitely will be an impactful players.   Right now we have some "Very Good" players but not that many GREAT players....At the beginning of this season the only one who qualifies as great is Josh.  By the end of the year hopefully we will have more names such as Kincaid, Cook, Bernard, Oliver, Dawkins joining him.  Go Bills !!!

2 hours ago, ganesh said:

Impact players are top-5 in the NFL at their position...Meaning they are in the top 15% of their position.    These are folks who impact the outcome of a game.  We have Josh Allen on offense and used to have Milano on defense who did exactly that.  We also used to have Diggs on offense in previous years.  

Dawkins and Oliver are good players but have not made the impact that you get from a Bosa or TJ Watt.    Typically All-Pro players are impactful players.....pro bowlers not so much. 

If opposing defense has to game plan against Shakir this season and he still catches passes then he definitely will be an impactful players.   Right now we have some "Very Good" players but not that many GREAT players....At the beginning of this season the only one who qualifies as great is Josh.  By the end of the year hopefully we will have more names such as Kincaid, Cook, Bernard, Oliver, Dawkins joining him.  Go Bills !!!

TJ Watt’s incredible self promotional sack dances have a huge impact in the 9 games he plays in.  I wish Groot would learn a crazy dance.